elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 'what are you listening to' thread:

Go down 
+59
ManicsTheHedgehog
jonnywez
jonnyw
seamiedev
elbowismymuse
Project571
whalefish
Wretch
The Final Track
blumoon
victoryrose
Space_dementia
imalittlebeast
Kim
NeonChoir
Grant
theredroom
CrisalidaBoy
HattyMarris
fadeupyoursmile
@MrIanGibson
Dano
mrswoman
hacmac
MagicalTrevor
al
Glendarian
allyngibson
Eag
Mr Woman
Lynne
Dabamash
Tailfly
heshofcheese
TamedLamia
nikkijaydee
Leo
Stockhaus
Mollyb
Weepsie
sparkly
Jones
LongLegs
yesman
ElbowFreak
Skeletor
Misspelt Yoof
sparky
WOBLEwoble
Lesley Gilks
ChrissyBoy
leespoons
My Bury Vest
Mr_K
Hotblack
Ted
Cestriansteve
ticky
ChrissieInFL
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 00:46

jonnyw wrote:
Japan - Nightporter

Aaaah. A wonderful track from a wonderful album. I think I shall put "Gentlemen..." and "Tin Drum" on for Mrs K and I to listen to as we fall asleep. Probably be snoring long before Nightporter comes on, but perhaps it'll pleasantly flavour our dreams. Thanks for the idea, jonnyw!
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Dec 2011, 23:31

P J Harvey - The Colour Of The Earth
from the album Let England Shake

The more I listen to this album, the more I like it and I wasn't a Polly Harvey fan before this. I'm now thinking this is my album of the year.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Jan 2012, 08:48

To Earth With Love - Gay Dad

Remember when they were supposed to be the saviours of British music ?

It's a good tune but there were plenty of better tunes in that era of the late 90'S.....
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Jan 2012, 11:37

sparky wrote:
P J Harvey - The Colour Of The Earth
from the album Let England Shake

The more I listen to this album, the more I like it and I wasn't a Polly Harvey fan before this. I'm now thinking this is my album of the year.

agree with everything you're saying there... don't shoot me, but its a better album than barb...
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Jan 2012, 14:02

3 doors down.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jan 2012, 15:17

Voicething - Goldfrapp. Looping voices, ethereal choirs and seductive coos, carried on a synth pulse to outer space. No actual words. A cool, liquid oddity from the otherwise day-glo Headfirst.

Followed by Fugitive Motel. Oh yes.
Back to top Go down
Open arms
little beast
little beast
Open arms

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jan 2012, 16:40

I'm actually listening to Fossile Collective, "without a fight" and "on and on", love the voice of the singer.
Back to top Go down
http://simpsonvips.canalblog.com/
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Jan 2012, 21:25

After playing Polly Harvey and Bon Iver to death over the Christmas holiday period, I'm going to start my 2012 musical adventures by listening to The Maccabees new album tomorrow

But tonight it's "Suppers Ready" from the 1972 Genesis album "Foxtrot"
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jan 2012, 18:08

Gotye feat. Kimbra - Somebody that I used to know.

What an amacing song. Surely, sounds almost completly like Peter Gabriel (Shock the monkey) but I love it!!
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jan 2012, 20:22

REM - Electrolite

From the album "New Adventures In Hi Fi" but I'm watching it on BBC4's REM Night from Saturday
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Jan 2012, 12:42

Drink The Elixir - Salad

A blast from the past from 1995 - TUNE !
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri 20 Jan 2012, 10:46

"Glass Jar" by Gang Gang Dance from last year's ear-meltingly good album "Eye Contact". 11 minutes of blissed out sound sculpture starting out like sonic waves lapping against an alien beach, but building, slowly, carefully. The synth cascade at the 3 1/2 minute mark is magical and then when the percussion arrives about 40 seconds later I get shivers. The party really gets going around 6 1/2 minutes in as all the rhythms coalesce, but the music still ebbs and flows around the underlying groove. The joy of this track is that once you get to know it the anticipation of the next "phase" just adds to the tension and pleasure. It really does get better and better the more you listen. I guess the Glass Jar's opening spoken words "I can hear everything. It's everything time." say it all. Remarkable piece of music.

This album only sold about 4000 copies in this country. Shame, because whilst it can be a bit odd at times, the quality of the music deserves a wider audience. Not only "Glass Jar" but "Adult Goth", "Chinese High" and "MindKilla" are superb, whilst the rest of the tracks are merely very good. The reviews on Amazon UK are pretty informative. Gang Gang Dance are supposed to be great live as well - I hope they visit these shores this year.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Jan 2012, 12:24

Black Light by Diagrams.
Pure deep (as in depth of sound rather than profundity) pop with a slightly quirky folky/electronica twist from Sam Genders, formerly of Tunng, so kind of what you'd expect, but better. The first track could be by Gruff Rhys - I can think of no finer compliment. Sometimes the voice is more akin to that man Guy Garvey. Othertimes I'm reminded of Everything Everything and even The Cure! Someone else puts it much better than I - "It is a sumptuous blend of jerking rhythms, sweet melodies, sonic oddities, electronic loops, acoustic guitars and gruffly endearing admonishments. Much of it is comprised of taut white-boy grooves, as neatly emphasised on the euphoric ‘Tall Buildings’, the alternating wire-strung snap and orchestral swells of ‘Appetite’ and the Vek vs. Elbow tussle and skitter of ‘Mills’. "

Proper good record this is.

I am also listening the various EPs from The 2 Bears in anticipation of their album at the end of the month. Cheery, almost jokey house music from Hot Chip's Joe Goddard, but just occasionally rather touching.

Finally looking forward to Django Django's self titled debut, also out at the end of January. The singles are good in a Syd Barrett joins an indie band with a load of synths kind of way.

A decent start to the year.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 25 Jan 2012, 20:41

The new tune from Andrew Bird's upcoming LP, Break It Yourself. Really looking forward to hearing this album when it's released. The 1st track I've heard on Soundcloud is quite freaking good, and I've probably played it about a dozen times in the past day or so. It's called Eyeoneye and it's streaming here:

http://soundcloud.com/andrewbird/eyeoneye
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jan 2012, 20:44

This -

https://youtu.be/9zXkAaoBOLU

I've decided I'm sick to death of 'nu-folk' - I'm going back to my roots. I need guitars.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jan 2012, 18:15

Yeah Ticky - guitars rule!!

Despite that though, I am listening to Errors - Have Some Faith in Magic.
Marvellous record released today. Kosmische proggy spacey electronica (with guitars!). There is a hint of label bosses Mogwai in the guitar at times. Big sounding but nimble and taut.

Some good releases this week.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jan 2012, 09:20

Mr_K wrote:
Black Light by Diagrams.
Pure deep (as in depth of sound rather than profundity) pop with a slightly quirky folky/electronica twist from Sam Genders, formerly of Tunng, so kind of what you'd expect, but better. The first track could be by Gruff Rhys - I can think of no finer compliment. Sometimes the voice is more akin to that man Guy Garvey. Othertimes I'm reminded of Everything Everything and even The Cure! Someone else puts it much better than I - "It is a sumptuous blend of jerking rhythms, sweet melodies, sonic oddities, electronic loops, acoustic guitars and gruffly endearing admonishments. Much of it is comprised of taut white-boy grooves, as neatly emphasised on the euphoric ‘Tall Buildings’, the alternating wire-strung snap and orchestral swells of ‘Appetite’ and the Vek vs. Elbow tussle and skitter of ‘Mills’. "

Proper good record this is.

I am also listening the various EPs from The 2 Bears in anticipation of their album at the end of the month. Cheery, almost jokey house music from Hot Chip's Joe Goddard, but just occasionally rather touching.

Finally looking forward to Django Django's self titled debut, also out at the end of January. The singles are good in a Syd Barrett joins an indie band with a load of synths kind of way.

A decent start to the year.

Keep the great, in depth reviews coming Mr K - love reading them, you've a real talent there in describing your latest aural pleasures !The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 44176
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jan 2012, 18:51

Thanks MBV. I love going on about music (and films and football and loads of other stuff too). I'd be a rubbish critic though, I couldn't be rotten about something that might have taken years for someone to create, just because I don't like it. I think I might be able to manage mild dissapointment - that's it. Which brings me to Django Django...

...This is almost a brilliant record. Seriously. It starts of with a wonderful "Low-era Bowie scores a Western" intro leading into the glorious big and bouncy "Hail Bop". This is worth buying the LP for all on its own. The jerky, infectious single, Default is great, the Golden Retriever (SFA song) like "Firewater" isn't quite as good as it should be, but "Waveforms", with its modern take on Barrett era Floyd is excellent. But after that things seem to lose focus a bit. There's tons of invention, loads of interesting ideas, but the songs just aren't quite as good as the opening few. Don't get me wrong, it is still very enjoyable, but the brilliant opening just left me wanting more.

Looking at other reviews though, I seem to be in the minority. Hard to categorise (which is a good thing) Django Django are definitely worth a listen. Hope to see them live at the end of Feb too.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun 05 Feb 2012, 15:33

My daughter's just pointed me in the direction of this young chap -

https://youtu.be/obSyjnkcti8

Also - didn't know this was the 'My name is Earl' - LOVE IT!!

https://youtu.be/bkweu3nSbX8
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Feb 2012, 12:41

Panic. Very, very loud. About 3 times in a row.

"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
It says nothing to me about my life
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play"

Just one of the best songs ever. Fact.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Feb 2012, 18:55

Mr_K wrote:

"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Hang the blessed DJ

Great choice Mr K!

When I was in my early twenties, The Smiths said everything to me about my life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Feb 2012, 17:55

June Tabor & The Oysterband's ballsy Ragged Kingdom - winner of best album at the BBC Folk Awards.

Pretty traditional rocky folk in some respects, with a mix of traditional songs and interesting covers. The album's first 4 songs are all gems. It opens with a cracking rendition of "Bonny Bunch of Roses" followed by a very contempory sounding cover of the excellent PJ Harvey song "That Was My Veil". Next we have one of those gruesome old murder ballads. "Son David", followed by a blood chilling, heartbreaking cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart". (You kind of take for granted what an awesome song that is!) After such a thrilling opening quartet, the rest of the record doesn't quite reach those heights, but is good stuff all the same, particularly the thumping "Judas Was a Red Headed Man" and the poppy "If My Love Loves Me".

I like a bit of folk at times, but it is not my favourite kind of music. This album, however, with it's mix of muscle and finesse, tradition and modernity has really won me over.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Feb 2012, 18:00

heshofcheese wrote:
Mr_K wrote:

"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Hang the blessed DJ

Great choice Mr K!

When I was in my early twenties, The Smiths said everything to me about my life.

Oh yes! In Moz we trust! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Feb 2012, 18:59

having a blast of old old U2 stuff. good old days. War / OCtober / Unforgettable Fire albums
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Feb 2012, 15:23

A Spotify playist of 60's/70's Soul classics of a political bent, including all of Marvin Gaye's wonderful album "What's Going On" and Sam Cooke's call-to-arms "A Change Is Gonna Come". Lovely, uplifting stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 'what are you listening to' thread:   The 'what are you listening to' thread: - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 'what are you listening to' thread:
Page 24 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next