elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?

Go down 
+36
allyngibson
Jones
benraul
ElbowFreak
leespoons
lucky with disease
oneofthethree
Skeletor
Cestriansteve
Kim
Lillybef
Tailfly
nikkijaydee
WOBLEwoble
Lesley Gilks
TamedLamia
yesman
sparky
Steven72
schteiny
mrswoman
nellie
Mr_K
Glendarian
Dobz
Leo
Emma G
ChrissyBoy
heshofcheese
ChrissieInFL
ticky
Hotblack
al
Misspelt Yoof
My Bury Vest
bluejayway
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Empty
PostSubject: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeSun 29 Mar 2009, 12:57

I haven't seen this posted, so I thought I might as well. So what was the last album you bought or were given?

The last album I bought was Elbow at Abbey Road (damn manufactures pushing it back a whole week!)
The last album I was given, was Lady's Bridge by the lovely Richard Hawley, which was a nice surprise from my Dad. Funny, I got him into Richard and then he buys the albums before me Mad

Sarah
xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 08:47

Last one bought was The Cure's Greatest hits a fortnight ago and it's fantastic, Super Furry Animals and PJ Harvey/John Parrish new offerings are next on my radar.........
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 10:21

Elbow at Abbey Road was the last one I got. I've just ordered the Frightened Rabbit acoustic album too which is out next week.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 13:26

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
I''ve just ordered the Frightened Rabbit acoustic album too which is out next week.

Very Happy Very Happy We'll be getting that too!

The last album I bought was that compilation Dark was The Night, beautiful. I can't think the last time someone gave me a CD, it was probably a compilation CD swap from another forum (ooh, we should do that here! Anyone? No..?)
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 13:27

Elbow at Abbey Road is the last one to arrive. I recently downloaded The Decemberists Hazards of Love ( using a free introductory offer of 30 downloads from eMusic with Word magazine).
I'm just about to buy 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm' and 'PXR5' by Hawkwind as they have just been issued on CD for the first time (possibly ever, definitely first time in yonks), remastered with extra tracks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 17:57

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Quark, Strangeness and Charm - haven't listened to it in years. In fact, I'm going to look for it now and get a blast of nostalgia.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 18:52

Most recent download was AC Newman's Get Guilty, which is quite good. Last actual CD purchase was Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion, which is also ace. Hope to have something new by week's end though!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 19:11

The Very Best of The Move. Great 60's nostalgiafest. I'd forgotten how many good singles they had and the couple of live tracks included prove they were a dynamite live band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 19:13

Last bought the much maligned U2, No Line on The Horizon - which is good.
Received Coldplay at Xmas time - a big grower.
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 20:01

Just ordered The Leisure Society and Doves. Abbey Road arrived over the weekend. Last one I was given as take That for Christmas (am going to see them in June sssshhhhhh - don't tell anyone!!)
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:14

We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse
and, err before that, the best of the stone roses
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Dobz
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 22:40

Last CD I was given was MGMT (can't remember what on earth it's called) and Pink Floyd - The Division Bell - that was an album I used to have on tape !!!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 06:02

I've just preordered Bat for Lashes - Two Suns - I love what I've heard so far. Most recent actually got, the Hazards of Love by the Decemberists, which I'm currently obsessed with, and of course the wonderful Abbey Road box set.

(I too am now going to dig out Quark Strangeness and Charm and PXR5 for a bit of nostalgia - what have you started Hotblack? Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 08:05

Glendarian wrote:
(I too am now going to dig out Quark Strangeness and Charm and PXR5 for a bit of nostalgia - what have you started Hotblack? Very Happy )

A 'forgotten classics' theme within the thread. Very Happy Those two albums are up there with my all time favourites and are definitely the best Hawkwind albums IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 08:30

I realised after my last post that I haven't actually got a digital version of PXR5 - must have had my old cassettes out recently (perhaps I'd better buy the CD release to get back on topic for this thread... Smile) My personal favourite is probably In Search of Space, but the ones you mention were the first 2 Hawkwind albums I heard, so have a special place in my nostalgia - happy days. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 09:22

Hotblack wrote:
Glendarian wrote:

A 'forgotten classics' theme within the thread. Very Happy Those two albums are up there with my all time favourites and are definitely the best Hawkwind albums IMHO.

"Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies
Crazy about his telescope
And Galileo had a name that made his
reputation higher than his hopes
Did none of those astronomers discover
While they were staring out into the dark
That what a lady looks for in her lover
is Charm, Strangeness and Quark."

What's not to like there?

I'd also add "25 Years On" as a great Hawkwind album (the dire "Flying Doctor" excluded). The late 70's where a cracking period for Hawkwind - a period where they imposed some song writing discipline to their music with great results.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 10:17

Sorry. Still Off Topic.

Spirit of the Age

I would have like you to have been deep frozen too
and waiting still as fresh in your flesh for my return to earth
but your father refused to sign the forms to freeze you
let's see you'd be about sixty now
and long dead by the the time i return to earth
my time held dreams were full of you as you were when i left:
still under-age

your android replica is playing up again
it's no joke
when she comes she moans another's name

That's the Spirit of the Age

Maybe I should have posted those in the 'Favourite Lyrics' thread Very Happy
I agree about Hawklords 25 Years On as well. That too has been recently been remastered and released on CD
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 10:41

Erm wasn't that thread Favourite Elbow lyrics...? Smile Both wonderful songs though. Still OT (by about 25 years if we're talking about buying the album Wink) this thread has now got me listening to Nik Turner's Inner City Unit. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 12:07

Glendarian wrote:
Erm wasn't that thread Favourite Elbow lyrics...? Smile Both wonderful songs though. Still OT (by about 25 years if we're talking about buying the album Wink) this thread has now got me listening to Nik Turner's Inner City Unit. Smile

I once saw ICU play at a pub just outside The Oval sometime in the early 80s, and spent a little while talking to Turner afterwards, and I remember concluding that he was almost sane!

Back on topic, and admittedly in danger of boring everyone with repetition, but the last album I bought is the absolutely excellent "Dark Days, Light Years" by the SFA. I'm listening to it on a loop and I think it may just be the best thing they have ever done, which is saying something. Truly exceptional.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 17:45

Glendarian wrote:
Erm wasn't that thread Favourite Elbow lyrics...? Smile

Ummm.. No.........It was the Lyrics We Love Thread Here Very Happy

Never did get a grip on Nik Turner though. Wink
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 17:55

last album bought The leisure society (arrived this morning) and i'm waiting on Doves.
last one given was that 'best of The Smiths' for xmas.
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 20:18

Hey Nellie! Think we have the same CD collection!!!!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 18:24

Also waiting for Doves 'Kingdom of Rust', but last got SSK Live, Empire of the Sun 'Walking on a Dream' and Keane's 'Perfect Symmetry' in my grubby little mitts.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
schteiny
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Apr 2009, 03:54

Interesting - i'm a bit out of left field taste-wise i guess.
Last bought was Shellac: 1000 Hertz, and i can't remember being given a cd for a long time - maybe christmas years ago! santa
Back to top Go down
Steven72
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitimeTue 07 Apr 2009, 06:53

Spent yesterday evening listening to Doves new CD. It is fantastic.

Also bought LoveKraft from SFA at the weekend & it is a grower.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?   The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Last Album You Bought Or Were Given?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next