elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music bought after hearing in a film

Go down 
+4
TamedLamia
ChrissieInFL
fadeupyoursmile
ChrissyBoy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Music bought after hearing in a film Empty
PostSubject: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 18:47

Ok, I'm about ten years out of date but, I watched a film called Hi-Fidelity which
has been floating about on Sky movies latley.
There's a scene where the guy who owns an indie record store, says to his staff;-
Watch me sell five copies of The Three EP's by the Beta Band.
Then he starts a playing part of a track which everyone starts grooving along to in the store.

Anyway, the music was quite good - so i go off and download the tracks today !
I can't vouch for how good or otherwise they are and it is something that was out about 11 years ago,
but apparantley this film had raised this bands profile in America and obviously people went out and bought their album after exposure in this scene. Which is apparantley a well known fact, but the first i'd heard of it . LOL

Which led me to wonder - has anybody bought any music after hearing it in a film ? and was it any good ?

Just as an aside, when the band came up on the download site - it also said you may like these other artists and Elbow Asleep In The Back was one of them !
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 19:36

Beck - Everybody's gotta learn some time - From eternal sunshine.
I love this piece of Beethoven because of the film the fall -

Give it a bit of time to kick in... FYI this film is indescribably brilliant and everyone should track it down!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 16:15

Cool. Can see why you like that !

Found my clip on you tube. 1.34 in if you don't want to watch the lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84bCWay7k3E
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 14:25

Sarah wrote:
Beck - Everybody's gotta learn some time - From eternal sunshine.

Yessss! Me too.

Also found the Pakistani vocalist Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan after hearing him sing with Eddie Vedder on the soundtrack of Dead Man Walking. Awesome, powerful voice which I wouldn't have known about otherwise. And the song they did together (The Long Road) is fan-bloody-tastic.

Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009, 10:07

At me it went the other way round. I heard "Back on Earth" by Peter Gabriel, which is on the credits of "WALL*E" and I bought the DVD Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 15:36

Cat Power - Sea Of Love (Juno), which I downloaded and a Led Zeppelin album (School of Rock).
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 13:52

I just downloaded the soundtrack to the film Secretary so I could get the song that plays during the final scene - Chariots Rise, by Lizzie West. Had to buy the whole album, even though all I wanted was the one song, but I quite like it and was reminded of it when I caught the movie on telly last week. God bless James Spader and his kinky, creepy characters!

You can listen to it here if you like...
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jun 2010, 23:07

After watching Brokeback Mountain I bought the soundtrack, instrumental tracks are beautiful by an Argentinian composer called Gustavo Santaolalla. Love the film and the soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
n0n0k0
fallen angel
fallen angel
n0n0k0

Female Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 20:16

Hi-Fidelity...great movie!! I especially liked all the creative ways they arranged and re-arranged their music collections.

To answer your question, I bought the soundtrack to the movie "Garden State." It is very cool and cohesive. The songs just flow together. This soundtrack was my introduction to The Shins.

I also sought out Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack after seeing the film. The composer is Wojciech Kilar. It is beyond dramatic, both whispering and soaring. Love at first bite (pun intended).
Back to top Go down
http://lastfm.com/user/n0n0k0
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010, 19:52

In my opinion, Annie Lennox should have won an Oscar for the theme song, Love Song For A Vampire. It's a beautiful song and perfect for the film. The film's pretty special, too.
Seal should also have a statuette for Kiss From A Rose. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music bought after hearing in a film   Music bought after hearing in a film Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music bought after hearing in a film
Page 1 of 1