elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow Return

Go down 
+45
TheDrunkenEngineer
HattyMarris
chan
josephblack
Kim
wozza
missdiane
emma
neil68
newborn
Jonathan
Mackem
Bex80
Cestriansteve
@MrIanGibson
Fancy Pants
heshofcheese
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
sparky
ElbowFreak
nellie
mrswoman
evilpixie
Glendarian
Jones
LongLegs
mitchy
hilaryg
Mr Woman
ChrissyBoy
ukkonen
Lillybef
Cozzer
Lynne
My Bury Vest
felstead
captain pugwash
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
ChrissieInFL
leespoons
MagicalTrevor
ticky
errant
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Elbow Return - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 00:57

Jones wrote:
Mmmm....
I wonder... is a trip to the UK on the cards...???

I'd be amazed if you didn't, Jones Smile
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 08:00

ukkonen wrote:
Predictions on the album release date? I'm guessing an April release date unless they're planning on releasing the album before the tour...
I'd have thought the album would be out before these dates. February/early-March, I'd imagine.

Viagogo are also listing Elbow at the O2 on Saturday 26th. Have I missed something?
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 08:28

I'm also thinking I wish they were smaller venues but in any case am signed up and will be getting tix for Manchester and/or Liverpool (hmmm I was going to say "or" but I notice an "and" has crept in there... Wink)

Stadium venues or not I can't wait; Hopefully will meet up with some of you and I hope we'll be hearing some new stuff by then too. Smile
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 11:03

LongLegs wrote:
I'm not sure I could go to the O2, it's great they can play such a large capacity venue....but that place is horrific.

I notice Misspelt Yoof said the same on twitter... is it really that bad? I've never been (haven't been to a gig for years in fact), just curious.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 11:04

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
Viagogo are also listing Elbow at the O2 on Saturday 26th. Have I missed something?

I hope so, a Saturday would be much better than a school night particularly if we wanted to meet up beforehand for a few halves of shandy drunken
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 11:43

Lee Spoons wrote:
LongLegs wrote:
I'm not sure I could go to the O2, it's great they can play such a large capacity venue....but that place is horrific.

I notice Misspelt Yoof said the same on twitter... is it really that bad? I've never been (haven't been to a gig for years in fact), just curious.
I'll be honest, I've never been to the arena either. It's just so ruddy huge!
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 13:11

I have been twice. it's a good setup don't get me wrong it has everything you need. I just have issues with the sound. It is 4000 seats bigger than MEN and to be honest I found it difficult to love Elbow at the MEN. You do lose a lot of intimacy especially if you are seated in the higher levels. I think it's a great place for big productions, which is why a lot of the mainstream pop acts perform there. But I'm not convinced it's the right choice for Elbow, unless they are bringing Geoff the choir and the Halle Orchestra!! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 15:41

LongLegs wrote:
I have been twice. it's a good setup don't get me wrong it has everything you need. I just have issues with the sound. It is 4000 seats bigger than MEN and to be honest I found it difficult to love Elbow at the MEN. You do lose a lot of intimacy especially if you are seated in the higher levels. I think it's a great place for big productions, which is why a lot of the mainstream pop acts perform there. But I'm not convinced it's the right choice for Elbow, unless they are bringing Geoff the choir and the Halle Orchestra!! Smile

I HATE that place with a passion - I went to see Roger Waters do Dark Side.. and all the way through there were people going back and forward to get pizzas, fish and chips and beer. It's too big, it's too impersonal and it's too 'corporate'.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 15:46

Isn't that something we have to put up with in stadiums full stop? Sad

I hope they tour other venues as well even if getting hold of tickets would be a nightmare... A special exclusive ERO gig perhaps? Laughing
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 18:52

ticky wrote:
So great to hear from old forum members again! Hi Hilary, Evil Pixie and everyone else!

Hi to you too Ticky.

Was so pleased to hear that Elbow will soon be back with a new album and live shows but then realised I was planning to be on holiday when they're playing London. Do I reschedule my holiday or take a chance that there will be either be a few warm up shows before the arena tour or that they'll play smaller venues in Europe afterwards? What a tough decision scratch
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 21:16

Hold off.
They're bound to do more than just the UK shows! Cool
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 21:19

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Jones wrote:
Mmmm....

Which one(s) though??? Question

You coming over MT?
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 21:26

If next year's schedule is anything like the SSK tour, it'll likely to be UK early doors, then Europe, summer festivals all round plus the US and Oz. Then another crack in GB later on through the year. Maybe.

*Place your bets, place your bets*
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 21:36

Jones wrote:
MagicalTrevor wrote:
Jones wrote:
Mmmm....

Which one(s) though??? Question

You coming over MT?

Nope, I'll be waiting for the NA shows...there's nothing definite about them yet, but they'll play here sooner or later.

Better not be a bloody 10 hour drive on a Wednesday though Smile
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 21:46

Piece of cake, MT!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 21:49

We saw Depeche Mode last year at the 02, it was huge but being at the front it was great and sound good too. There'll never be another Newport for me but surely there will be other dates next year. Now just need to get standing tickets without paying over the odds on Ebay!
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 21:54

ticky wrote:
So great to hear from old forum members again! Hi Hilary, Evil Pixie and everyone else!

Hello! cheers
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Sep 2010, 22:03

Shall we have a meet up again? I presume Manchester would be the obvious choice if you're all up for it. (Cardiff would be even better, but I don't think there's too many of us down here.) I've got a feeling we won't be needing sombreros this time though.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Sep 2010, 13:01

I'm really curious to see what type of venues they'll be in here in the States. They've certainly got a higher profile here now than they did a few years ago, but there'll be no arenas here, I'm thinking. Maybe in the bigger markets like NY and such, they'll play bigger spaces, but for the rest of the country I'm not too sure where they'll be. If they played places that were similar to the size they did last time over, I'd be thrilled, since there's still a chance to get a good vibe and a closer vantage point in those venues. But really, I'll take whatever I can get...just hope they don't keep us waiting too long over here before they let us know when and where they'll be coming! bounce
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Sep 2010, 15:06

Here's hoping for Boston, Montreal and Halifax!
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Sep 2010, 15:21

Hello to everyone again, not really been on here for ages, dipped in and out a few times but thats about it. Nice to see everyone is still here. So is everyone excited about the gigs? Silly question really-dont know why I asked....
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Sep 2010, 18:50

Crossing fingers that they are coming to Germany for some gigs, too!!!!
That was probably the greatest concert I've been to! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Sep 2010, 21:38

Bit nervous about the Newcastle Arena gig… I’ve seen some big bands fall on their arses in that venue before… I can count on one hand the number of good gigs there…

Is there such a thing as a good British arena, which one would it be? Is Nottingham the smallest so most like an intimate gig?
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Sep 2010, 22:27

I think with arenas, it's all about where you manage to position yourself.

I've been to the MEN twice now: The last time was for Elbow last year and, of course, that was fantastic - in no small part due to standing near the front. The previous time was for Arcade Fire when we were 3/4 of the way back in the seated area, and it felt at times like you were watching a crowd watching a gig, rather than truly feeling as if you were part of the experience.

Everyone likes the intimacy of small venues, but when the bands you love become successful, they outgrow the smaller places. When Elbow began touring TSSK, they were still using venues like Manchester Academy. It seems ridiculous now, doesn't it?

It would be really good if they could do a big open air gig at some point next summer - something like Delamere forest again. Old Trafford cricket ground, perhaps? Take a picnic. Rock and Roll!
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Male Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 08:44

Mr Woman wrote:

It would be really good if they could do a big open air gig at some point next summer - something like Delamere forest again. Old Trafford cricket ground, perhaps? Take a picnic. Rock and Roll!

Some years ago there used to be annual 'Classical Extravaganzas' at the Bowl in Milton Keynes. Instead the usual clientelle i.e. tens of thousands of Eminem fans you'd get maybe 7,000 folk with picnic hampers and blankets sitting down to listen to the London Philharmonic play classical music's 'greatest hits'. I know it sounds a bit naff but the atmosphere was great and very chilled (as was the wine!) Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow Return   Elbow Return - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow Return
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next