elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations

Go down 
+20
sundaygirl
hilaryg
Jones
mrswoman
Dr Evil
Glendarian
Dobz
Dabamash
nellie
lucky with disease
Topaz
Lesley Gilks
TamedLamia
al
bluejayway
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
WOBLEwoble
ChrissieInFL
ticky
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 20:19

ticky wrote:
You think you're grumpy now.... wait till you hit menopause!

Oh bloody hell!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 20:21

al wrote:
bluejayway wrote:

My mates say I'm the female equivalent to Dylan Moran, grumpy but hilarious. I wouldn't say I'm that funny, but grumpy...? Yeah!

Ain't nothing wrong with that, as long as you've got the Manny to your Bernard Black Wink

That would be my friend Soph. Crazy hair, hyper and always picking up the pieces. She a huuuggggeee fan of Black Books too!
Back to top Go down
Dobz
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 23:56

Wonderful thread. Another member here ! I will be 50 in August this year.

I don't have a boyfriend, manfriend, partner or husband (never had one of the latter). Stopped looking a long time ago. Last boyfriend was 5 years ago and I'm quite happy on my own. If I met someone now then he would have to fit in with my life as I'm getting a bit too selfish in my old age to bother to compromise (unless it was Johnny Depp Wink )

I go snowboarding - absolutely love it. Been boarding for about 6 or 7 years now and actually managed this year to get my daughter (she's 25) on a snowboard. I used to go mountain boarding aswell but haven't been for about 18 months (lack of time). That was something I got my daughter into as well.
We go to gigs and festivals together and it's great as there is no one else I would want to go with. I took her to see Elbow in Llandudno and she loved them.

I have never really felt my age until about 12 months ago - but I think it's my job that has brought all this on - or maybe the menopause. I can feel a mid-life crisis coming on Shocked Unfortunately the mortgage I have to pay stops me from doing anything drastic like chucking my job in and buggering off to work in a snow resort!
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 00:24

So, we've got:

Annie Lennox
Susan Sarandon
Chrissie Hynde
Kate Bush
Stevie Nicks
Joanna Lumley
Twiggy

How about Patti Smith? Yeah, she's a bit rough around the edges but still mighty cool. Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon are also pretty amazing women.

TL, unfortunately, I don't think there are very many Guy Garvey's out there. I think you could look, and look....and look, and not find a Guy Garvey. I mean c'mon, he's intelligent, adorable, funny, humble, musically gifted...that's a fairly nice package and I'm sure there are more good qualities I've not mentioned. I've not seen many the likes of Mr. Garvey.

Your guy is out there though. And hopefully he'll be an Elbow fan. Smile
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 06:55

Oops I've just found this thread (ta, Ticky) - I won't make the obvious comment... Wink

I'm loving my 40s - well I was 39 when I went to my first Elbow gig (which got me back into gig-going in general) but hey, what's a year between friends? It was also around then I started writing, and well, I'm just finding it a wonderful age. Never having been particularly cool at any age I don't have to worry about losing it, and I'm still achieving my ambition of not wanting to grow up (just ask the kids!) Laughing

I wish there'd been a thread like this a few years ago when I brought along a friend who's a few years older than me to an Elbow gig and she suddenly started panicking - before, during and after - about being "the oldest person in the room" and although she enjoyed the gig still can't forget that. Wtf, personally I think I'd love to be 2x or 3x older than the average age in the room if it means I'm still discovering new music and getting out there at whatever age - 80s? 90s? Laughing

Patti Smith should 100% definitely be on that list - she's amazing. Can I also add Kristin Hersh?
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 12:54

Yep. I go to gigs on my own if I can't find anyone else who is interested. I wouldn't have done that in my twenties or thirties, and as a result, I missed out on so many great experiences. I had a chance to see Queen at Wembley in '86 and didn't go because I couldn't really afford it, and I've regretted it ever since.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 13:20

I really enjoy going to gigs on my own (I'm going to see PJ Harvey on Wednesday) but obviously enjoy company as well - provided they're into it - I'd rather go on my own and lose myself in it than drag someone along who isn't interested. My other half (another suggestion Smile) always says "You go - I'd only cramp your style!" Laughing though we are gong to see Christy Moore together in June.
Back to top Go down
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 13:57

TamedLamia wrote:
My optical age was mid-twenty but I am getting 41 in August. And I'm still single, no kids and as it seems the best I can make is to get a good man who's not afraid of chronic ill wives. Kids are passé not only because the chemo threw me into the menopause and at the moment it even seems that my hair grows back in grey! affraid
I'm afraid I won't make it to get a good man, because the ones I like are wether happily married or uninterested in women older than 40 (because they are under 40) or interested in "more attractive" women. And those who might be interested in me are just not my taste. And at the moment my taste isn't that naive anymore...he does not have to look like Johnny Depp or like young Peter Gabriel anymore. But the "big teddybears" that are still free are in Germany mostly not only looking like brickies. I had a chubby bloke 10 years ago but he was just too much a redneck. I'm afraid Guy Garvey is the only angel in a bear's body... Sad
I better stop ranting, or I get the blues...

Every granny says: "Every Jack finds his Jill"

Angel in a bear's body-what a great description of Guy!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 17:14

Wow, we've picked up some new members here...nice! Thumbs Up!

Still having issues deciding on a patron saint, I see...and there are new nominees since I last checked in...AND I even thought of a bunch more (Emmylou Harris, Joan Jett, Bjork and Marianne Faithfull are all Ladies of a Certain Age whom I admire a lot). In fact, I even thought of Susan Boyle! Talk about not discovering yourself until your 40's...gotta give her respect for how she managed to overcome her lack of self-confidence and go on telly to sing and shake her arse in front of Simon Cowell and the rest of the world!

Right, then...we've certainly got enough nominees. Do we have enough members to put up a poll? Maybe we can find a winner at long last!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 18:49

I still can't decide. I must admit some of the women I admire the most are not musicians - Aung San Suu Kyi, Germaine Greer...... or am I getting too political?

Tell me to shut it and stick to musicians!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 19:23

Debbie Harry? No one's suggested her.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 20:05

bluejayway wrote:

How could we forget Debbie Harry - but I'm still going for Annie Lennox
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 20:16

WOBLEwoble wrote:
bluejayway wrote:

How could we forget Debbie Harry - but I'm still going for Annie Lennox

Annie defiantly, she's just fab!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 21:06

Annie Lennox has my vote, as far as musicians go.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009, 13:25

Well, I have created a poll in a seperate thread where we can vote for our patron saint! Hope that's OK with everyone, and let's see who comes out on top!

EDIT: Whoops, maybe I should've put in a link to the poll, just to make it a tad easier to get to - just click here to vote!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 13:47

Wow, we have 10 votes in the poll so far! Not sure if that's everybody or not, but I'd set it up for 4 days so I guess I'll leave it up a bit yet, to give anyone else who might still need to vote a chance.

Had to share this...not good quality on the video, but it cracked me up! It's mostly funny because women really can be this bitchy! Of course the catty "younger" women do get their come-uppance...and they all lived happily ever after! Laughing

Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 17:31

Oops, late as usual! Room for one more?

Another woman of a certain age; to misquote Harry Chapin, feeling all of 41 going on 15. Best thing I found as a forty-something is the being less bothered - 'Bovverred? Face?" etc geek - and taking things less seriously. The worst thing is the seemingly-sudden body borkage, whether its yer bits starting to fall apart, wear out or just weird biological glitches popping up out of nowhere. How insidiously this sneaks up on you hit me a couple of years ago on a night out, after being unable to pogo me socks off to the entire two-minutes of The Undertones' 'Teenage Kicks' any more. I might as well have just run out to buy a twin-set and pearls, topped off by a cauliflower blue rinse...

Right, better vote!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009, 12:55

mrswoman wrote:
The worst thing is the seemingly-sudden body borkage, whether its yer bits starting to fall apart, wear out or just weird biological glitches popping up out of nowhere. How insidiously this sneaks up on you hit me a couple of years ago on a night out, after being unable to pogo me socks off to the entire two-minutes of The Undertones' 'Teenage Kicks' any more. I might as well have just run out to buy a twin-set and pearls, topped off by a cauliflower blue rinse...

Laughing I can relate, unfortunately! The old equipment's not in spanking-new shape anymore, and I do notice it when I'm at a concert. Used to be able to jump and dance through a few hours and still have energy to go out with friends after. Now, I get through it fine, but I feel like I need a nice, long nap afterward! So sad...Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Oldlad10
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009, 13:20

Maybe it should cheer myself up a bit that I was never one who was able to pogo through a whole song. So it's amazing enough that I am still able to stand through a good concert even if I am under chemotherapy... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Dobz
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009, 21:29

Ahhhhhh ..... naps - that reminds me

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr 2009, 20:39

Can't say I'm too impressed with the middle age spread but I got the shock of my life a couple of months ago when I noticed a really long hair growing on my big toe! I've never had hairy toes and now I have to pluck them as well Exclamation
What's that all about? scratch
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr 2009, 21:25

Hair does seem to turn up in the strangest places doesn't it! I agree with you Lesley, what the hell is going on???
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr 2009, 21:28

Good grief! We really sound an attractive bunch - hirsute and grey, with a penchant for napping in the afternoons AND middle aged spread!

Sod it - who cares!
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr 2009, 21:40

agree - what a bunch we are

I spend more time plucking, waxing, shaving, concealing ........... than putting on makeup these days!
Back to top Go down
Dobz
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr 2009, 23:05

Memory - or lack of - is my biggest problem. It really is starting to cause me grief Sad

Errrmm, forgotten what else I was going to write !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next