elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations

Go down 
+20
sundaygirl
hilaryg
Jones
mrswoman
Dr Evil
Glendarian
Dobz
Dabamash
nellie
lucky with disease
Topaz
Lesley Gilks
TamedLamia
al
bluejayway
Hotblack
fadeupyoursmile
WOBLEwoble
ChrissieInFL
ticky
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Sep 2009, 04:50

Insomnia - I am cursed with it. Look at the bloody time - 5.43 a-bastard-m. I've watched Australia's Deadliest Destinations, Frasier, HardTalk (that usually sends me off) and something fairly unsavoury about Las Vegas. It was never like this when I was younger - 10 hours a night, straight through with no breaks. Halcyon days, halcyon days.... BTW, what do you think of my new avatar - pretty disturbing or what. My daughter has 'boy-banded' Garvey, but I prefer his creases.
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Sep 2009, 11:04

oh don't, I have chronic insomnia (and sleep disorders) the whole sleep thing is Evil or Very Mad
I have no problem falling asleep it's *staying* asleep
Sad
And yeah Ticky, I prefer a crumpled Garve too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 03:10

I have had issues sleeping for a while, on and off. Not to get all hippie-ish on you, but the only time I can remember sleeping without problems was when I was doing yoga regularly. Used to go to a class for years up until the month that my daughter was born, but haven't been back to it since. Now there's a new yoga studio opened up near my house and I'm going to try going again starting later this week. I think it'll do me a world of good, not only with the sleeping/general relaxation stuff but also in the whole flexibility department, which I could use a lot of help with, being a Lady of a Certain Age! Laughing
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 08:48

Hmmm...strange, I did not notice at all that the Garve-Avatar is "cuted"...in my eyes he still looks like a disheveled Gentleman...is it a painting? Or photoshopised...??

and to get ontopic again, the last two nights I did not sleep well either. Woke up after crazy dreams and start brooding about all kind of s*it... scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 11:35

Yoga is brilliant- when done late in the day. I go to a class on Tuesdays 20;00 to 21:30. Sleep like a log that night.

When troubled with work problems and sleeping on average 4 hours a night I started to write down all the issues instead of tossing and turning. Helped a bit. Now I sleep better / no brilliant but OK. No more worries about working with such a monster of a boss/headteacher. Get shivers thinking about her still.

pale
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Oct 2009, 15:19

Updating my yoga news, for any Ladies who are interested! Been going twice a week for a few weeks now. It is brilliant! I am feeling much better during the day and I am trying to utilize the relaxation techniques when I have trouble sleeping at night. Still not 100% able to pass out when I want to, but I'm working on it! Wink

In related news, it is getting a little cooler here (at last!) and I am noticing my yearly dry skin thing happening...didn't used to have an issue with that stuff. But over the past 10 years or so, in the fall/winter, I've noticed a tendency for my skin to get really dry when the temps start to drop even a wee bit. I'm moisturizing like crazy - never had to go so nuts with the lotions and potions when I was younger! I am pretty sure I'll be single-handedly keeping Neutrogena in business from now until next May! Laughing
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009, 03:14

3.10 - still awake - seriously thinking about looking into yoga.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009, 10:26

ticky wrote:
3.10 - still awake - seriously thinking about looking into yoga.

I can recommend it too. Not having 100% success but I find when I go to my classs for yoga or pilates I get to sleep quicker. I do between 1 hour and 1 1/2 hours three times a week. Tried doing some at home but not as good as my class. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 00:02

The last yoga class I went to, I fell asleep in the winding down section (last 10 mins). How sad is that, nevertheless I don't have problems sleeping. Now hot flushes, mmmmm, what's that all about! I only turn 40 next week!!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 17:21

Lynne wrote:
The last yoga class I went to, I fell asleep in the winding down section (last 10 mins). How sad is that

Nothing sad about it...sounds like you were doing it right! That last segment of practice is where you lie in savasana, which means "corpse pose"...total relaxation is the goal, so I'm thinking sleep is a natural reaction to being in that position! Mind you, snoring might be a no-no... Sleep
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 21:36

My biggest problem on relaxing groups is the "relax music", mostly some exotic tinted ambient that makes me sob instead of relaxing...especially when the group starts "dreamtravels", I get a horrible travel bug Embarassed
Even that "ocean sound tube" makes me sentimental because I'm longing for Greece... Crying or Very sad
But without any ambient I think the "Jacobson progressive relaxing" is quite good.
Still I know that sometimes nothing helps against insomnia. My mom knows it too well and I have again and again those nights when I wake up around 3am and lie awake until dawn... Mad
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 21:38

ticky wrote:
BTW, what do you think of my new avatar - pretty disturbing or what. My daughter has 'boy-banded' Garvey, but I prefer his creases.

btw, have you seen the Garvey drawing in Guy Garvey's Gallery? Seems to me like the opposite of your avatar Shocked No wonder Guy says it looks more like his dad... What a Face
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 19:13

Yup - it looks really quite sinister, as though he's 20 years older with a lifetime of disappointment behind him. Creepy.
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 22:18

Yes I saw that. Not a flattering look!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Dec 2009, 22:09

Must look at that. Sounds a bit Dorian Gray.

Turning to that seasonally acceptable c-word, how do other Grey Expectations ladies deal with this time of year? I'm not a big fan of much Christmas faff & frills, but enjoy the basics: Sending cards, visiting, wrapping presents and a party or two. Too much in-yer-face commercial nonsense sends me running for the hills.

So, what's your 'Grumpy Old Christmas' pet peeve?
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
redliz2
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 13:17

I HATE Xmas ....really hate it ... Mad I have asked my doctor for drugs in the to put me out for 2 weeks till it's all over .
A combination of very bad family history and the deaths of a child and a much loved sister,both around this time of year, mean the whole thing is just a horror show for me.
I don't do cards and presents (except for my daughter ) and no decorations or special food.
She goes to her Dad's family and has all that if she wants.
I am blessed in that I have very good friends who completely understand ...on xmas day I'll be found with them in local curry house enjoying a balti Laughing
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 20:23

Aww, so very sorry to hear that this is such a rough time of the year for you, redliz... I'm sending many good thoughts your way and I hope you enjoy a fabulous feed at the curry house! Frankly, I could think of a lot less enjoyable things to be doing on Christmas! Smile

I still have a young kid at home, so I still do up the season reasonably well. Not as much fun when you have to be the grown-up as when you get to be the kid, but it's still a real treat to spend time with my family and friends. I could do without the whole rushing-around-like-a-crazy-person-and-going-broke routine...but it's once a year so I make the best of it. No really unusual traditions of which to speak, unless you count the years where it's warm enough to swim, which has happened more than once where I live!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 22:09

Really sorry to hear about the rough time you've had redliz, but I'm so pleased that you've got such good friends who look after you on Christmas Day.

This is my first year without the kids - they're spending it at their Dad's house. I would love to curl up in front of the telly with a bottle of fabulous wine, and extensive selection of seafood and a mountain of chocolate. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be allowed to - so I've got to drive 2 1/2 hours to Lampeter to spend the day with my Mum and the rest of the family, including a sister in law who doesn't want to be there and lets us all know. Can't wait for Boxing Day.
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 16:16

Thanks ladies, your thoughts are much appreciated. Smile
I try not to be too much of a wet blanket so spend most of the time alone , which I don't mind, but I do enjoy Boxing day .There's usually loads of footie and racing on (I'm a bit of a sports nut) so I find that a good day.
Aside from my personal reasons for disliking it, I must admit I find the whole greed fest of Xmas in general very distasteful .
You can't even do a normal food shop because people just go nuts , I don't understand it , the shops are closed for one day(and not even that round here, our Spar is open from 8-4) it's not like they'll starve Evil or Very Mad
I did see 2 middle aged women actually come to blows once in Sainsburys over a bag of of satsumas a couple of years ago. I think it was at that point I actually gave up Shocked
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 18:51

redliz2 wrote:
You can't even do a normal food shop because people just go nuts , I don't understand it , the shops are closed for one day(and not even that round here, our Spar is open from 8-4) it's not like they'll starve Evil or Very Mad
I did see 2 middle aged women actually come to blows once in Sainsburys over a bag of of satsumas a couple of years ago. I think it was at that point I actually gave up Shocked

Around here, it doesn't even have to be Christmas for people to go barmy in the supermarket. We've had a recent shortage of canned pumpkin, due to poor crops caused by excess rainfall this year. Pumpkin pies and cookies are a big deal in the fall/winter, so when stocks ran low recently. it sparked a load of hassle in the shops. They started rationing the cans of pumpkin at my local grocery after a few ladies started shouting at each other about who would get the last 2 cans!

Don't know if you get Eggo toaster waffles over there or not, but due to a fire at the Kelloggs' manufacturing plant, Eggos are also hard to come by, and women are hassling the store managers and buying up as many boxes as they can find when they are around. Like you said, redliz, are these people thinking they'll starve without this stuff? Crazy! No
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue 08 Dec 2009, 21:29

Hiya redliz, glad you can find some refuge amid the insanity and unsettling atmosphere that this time of year brings. I know a few other folks who can't stand Christmas either, ranging from profound reasons like yours right through to a simple, irrational 'argh!' when met with all the hustle & bustle. Some people swear by running away on holiday, but that can be a bit of a hit & miss answer too from stories heard. I'll maybe get sorted to do that one year!

Haven't heard of Eggo waffles, Chrissie, but can understand it's all a bit much fighting over the last packet in the shops. There is a slight shortage on for toy shops over here this year. Due to the recession they've not anticipated such a healthy demand for this year's must-have toys & games, so parents are struggling to fulfill Santa's lists. It's the Teletubbies & Buzz Lightyear shortage all over again, but for everything. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 00:14

I've spent most of my working life in the retail industry but decide last year enough was enough, and quit my job. Shortly afterwards, I started working at a school and it was sheer bliss to be able to do all my Christmas shopping and organising well in advance. I remember one Christmas Eve getting home from the shop at 6.00pm, after spending the afternoon taking down all the Christmas P.O.S and putting up the sale banners. I would then have to start the prep for Christmas lunch, wrapping pressies, tidying up etc. Most years, it was 2.00am before I got to bed.
I really feel for anyone who doesn't enjoy Christmas as it's almost expected that everyone is having a great time and if you're not, then there most be something wrong. People can be insensitive at times.
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009, 17:52

Lesley Gilks wrote:

I really feel for anyone who doesn't enjoy Christmas as it's almost expected that everyone is having a great time and if you're not, then there most be something wrong. People can be insensitive at times.

People just assume you are being a killjoy or miserable ....I don't drink either, so you can imagine some of the things people have called me, when I'm not falling around drunk having a "good time" like everyone else Rolling Eyes 'miserable cow' being the mildest of them ,and in gerneral ,nothing could be further from the truth Neutral
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 00:31

I'm having such a bad time sleeping - 3rd night in a row. It was 3 in the morning before I dropped off (up at 7)and even though I'm knackered, I'm absolutely wired. Lots of walking throughout the day, hot milk, yada yada yada. I've even taken a mild sleeping tablet tonight and .. nothing. bollocksy bollocks. Sorry to go on about this sleeping malarky - I think I'm in for a fresh batch of late night hot flushes. Shitty death.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 22:17

The sleeping thing is brutal! I can totally understand how frustrating that is. I mean, how are we supposed to maintain our youthful gorgeousness and our cheerful personalities with no sleep? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations   Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ladies of a certain age.............. Grey Expectations
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next