elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Album Number 6 starts here...

Go down 
+40
The Night Won
suered
lucky with disease
Ifordy
tumbles
amicausa
mrswoman
boy
achtung3d
Joost
Mirrorball
Kiresg
ukkonen
AyannaD
mouxlaloulouda
MagicalTrevor
holmes
heshofcheese
NeonChoir
OllieCT
Kim
Jones
TinTin
Molly
Niftium
mainscoe
Lynne
ChrissyBoy
ticky
ChrissieInFL
elbowismymuse
Puncture Repair
My Bury Vest
The DaddyO 44
Open arms
ElbowFreak
JessieAddick
allyngibson
WOBLEwoble
errant
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 08:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWU4iAM3fY0

10min album sampler courtesy of the boys.

I'm really enjoying the sound of the album, it's exactly what I was hoping for after listening to the bsides for barb! By the snippets, Honey Sun seems like it'll be a favorite of mine out of the tracks I haven't heard before.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 08:52

ukkonen wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWU4iAM3fY0

10min album sampler courtesy of the boys.

I'm really enjoying the sound of the album, it's exactly what I was hoping for after listening to the bsides for barb! By the snippets, Honey Sun seems like it'll be a favorite of mine out of the tracks I haven't heard before.

Thanks for the heads up! Too early for me to make a call on them, the title track was the most interesting one I thought... Ta.
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 09:02

Too early for me too, though I agree that the title track seems the most interesting, ignoring the two tracks we've already been given. I do also like the sound of My Sad Captains and The Blanket of Night, though it is difficult to judge after only a minute of each song.

Good to get a sampler though! Smile
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 13:32

Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 15:03

Ukkonen - you have made my damn day, son. Just came off the back end of 2 solid weeks of illness in my house (my kid last week, and me this week) and today's the first day I feel part of the land of the living. So getting to hear those song snippets was a real "welcome back" treat. And to read those lyrics....man...

OK, I know the songs will sound so different when hearing them in full, but there was already a lot to like in the sampler. A few really jumped at me right off, but I am sure I'll rethink each one as I give them a repeated listen.

And I am so, SO loving the lyrics on their own. I'm getting so much from them, just as words without musical context, that it's kind of amazing. Not sure why it's speaking to me so strongly this time around, but it really is. Some of these lines are flooring me - the way they're constructed, the imagery I'm getting from them, or just the good old, reliable Elbow gut punch straight to the emotions. Very strong stuff, for me personally. If the music holds up half as well when I hear the whole album, I'll be well pleased with this effort, I think.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 15:21

ARRGH - seriously, these LYRICS! I keep fixating on Honey Sun right now, because this little moment is slaying me:

Lyrics spoiler - if you wanna be surprised then ignore this!:

There's a lot more than this example, but I'm really taken by how often my eyes are being stopped in their tracks as I read these lyrics. I'm finding a lot of very solid stuff - your mileage may vary of course, but for whatever reason, these are definitely hitting a sweet spot for me.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 16:30

After hearing the previews I think I'm most looking forward to hearing Real Life (Angel) and Honey Sun. Not long to go now - very exciting!
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 23:52

Kim wrote:
After hearing the previews I think I'm most looking forward to hearing Real Life (Angel) and Honey Sun. Not long to go now - very exciting!

Full version of real life is on the Lauren Lavern iPlayer show, well a live version at least...
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 00:59

They're really going all out with the exclusives, it's like a contest between publications and radio stations to get the best one. Acoustic version of Blanket of the Night: http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2014/mar/02/elbow-blanket-of-the-night-exclusive-video-clip

mp3 download
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 09:03

The Blanket of Night is absolutely beautiful. I almost wish that acoustic version were on the album!
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 14:02

ukkonen wrote:
They're really going all out with the exclusives, it's like a contest between publications and radio stations to get the best one. Acoustic version of Blanket of the Night: http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2014/mar/02/elbow-blanket-of-the-night-exclusive-video-clip

mp3 download

Oh my... I'm in love!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 14:07

That accoustic version is absolutely brilliant... love it.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 14:32

errant wrote:
Kim wrote:

Full version of real life is on the Lauren Lavern iPlayer show, well a live version at least...

Thanks for the heads up errant, I had a poke about and found this with the boys opening the 6 Music Festival - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01t4t6s. Don't think anyone has posted this before - gorgeous live versions plus interview. Smile The setlist:

1. Fly Boy Blue / Lunette
2. Charge (sans swearing!)
3. Lippy Kids
4. Real Life
5. New York Morning

EDIT: Ah, I see you already posted it in the elbow patch section. Smile
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 16:30

Just.... seriously amazing stuff. Real Life (Angel) sounds wonderful on first listen. I see Garvey (aside from omitting the expletives) has added more lyrics to Charge.

It sounds more substantial than much of BARB- a lot more going on musically, although I know that album was purposely stripped-back. It did sound a bit solo-album-ish at times though and this (so far) seems like the work of a band. I love how they split up the writing so it would sound fresher, and it does.
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 18:46

Gorgeous, love this song. The interview was a good read too.
Back to top Go down
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 20:59

I keep taking pauses from whatever I'm doing to listen to the 10-minute sampler and The Guardian's The Blanket of Night. It's all so overwhelmingly beautiful: I can't wait.

I also can't wait for next Wednesday!! I'll be in a pub in Saddleworth at 4pm ready to listen.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 05:41

http://digmusic.net.au/programs/feature-album/elbow-the-take-off-and-landing-of-everything

Dig will be playing the album in full on the 8th, which I believe will be at 5pm for east coast/10pm for UK since the tweet announcing the first play shows up as 6pm for me (unfortunately, I missed the initial airing). Hopefully another radio station airs it in its entirety much sooner than that.

Also, I've seen some people listening to an acoustic live session from Blueprint as a Spotify exclusive. I'm hoping it'll pop up on Tuesday as I've never paid attention if Spotify bothers with restricting live sessions like iTunes once did.

Last edited by ukkonen on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 09:08; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 06:11

Or it looks like it prematurely released on US iTunes...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/take-off-landing-everything/id816987589

Edit: I'm not going to say much until everyone has listened to it, but there are two things that I'd like to share:

1. I don't see this album disappointing any fans
2. There is no build up for the title track, what you hear in the sampler is what it sounds like for the seven minutes.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 12:14

ukkonen wrote:

that was a little careless by their american label?
Back to top Go down
Joost
fallen angel
fallen angel
Joost

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 14:05

Elbow - Spotify Acoustic EP Live at Blueprint Studios

1. My Sad Captains - Acoustic
2. The Blanket of Night - Acoustic
Back to top Go down
amicausa
newborn
newborn

Female Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 16:00

Hey all!
I'm new here, but I love all the information passed around here :)I've been a fan for a while, but I had never found an Elbow fan 'community' before, so I'm really happy I found this ;)All the previews sound great as always with Elbow.
There's a contest for the Paradiso gig on the 18th and for that I have to have a question to ask the band and if it's good/interesting enough I might win tickets and get to ask the question. I was thinking of asking something about the sound of the new album but I'm sure it's been asked before...
What do you guys really want to know about the new album or just the band in general?
Back to top Go down
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 16:05

Has to be a cock up that it's on the US itunes store right?

However should you not be able to wait a week for the album then purchasing a US itunes voucher and setting up a separate US itunes account(you'll need $15 one to include taxes) will get you the album right now..

My Sad Captains. Just. Wow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.whateversleft.co.uk
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 16:14

tumbles wrote:
Has to be a cock up that it's on the US itunes store right?

However should you not be able to wait a week for the album then purchasing a US itunes voucher and setting up a separate US itunes account(you'll need $15 one to include taxes) will get you the album right now..

My Sad Captains. Just. Wow.

patience is a virtue, apparently...  Laughing 

enjoy the album - im hoping amazon send my pre-ordered copy out on saturday - which has been known to happen before...
Back to top Go down
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 16:21

Still seems a bit odd, unless the US itunes had an exclusive. Still purchased/downloaded and burnt on a CD for my journeys this week.

First thoughts are wow. Q might be right about it being the best so far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.whateversleft.co.uk
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 16:27

errant wrote:
ukkonen wrote:

that was a little careless by their american label?

Yeah, I have no idea why it's available on a Monday when our music releases happen on Tuesdays. I found one article that shed a light on this, but unless the band advertises it, it seems like a mistake.

"Beginning today elbow's sixth studio album, 'The Take Off and Landing of Everything' is available for purchase a full week before it's official March 11th, 2014 release date. This iTunes premiere offers the band's passionate stateside supporters an early opportunity to experience the album in its entirety (individual tracks available for download March 11th.) Purchase the album here: iTunes.com/elbow"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Album Number 6 starts here...
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next