elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I've Got Your Number

Go down 
+13
Bright Grey
Glendarian
lucky with disease
fadeupyoursmile
ChrissyBoy
ChrissieInFL
TamedLamia
ticky
Misspelt Yoof
Leo
Eag
MagicalTrevor
Topaz
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

I've Got Your Number Empty
PostSubject: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 10:06

I came here with The Seldom Seen Kid under my arm and it wasn't long before the great and the good here were recommending I try out eariler works by the band. My wife recently bought me Leaders Of The Free World and Cast Of Thousands and I've been slowly getting to know them both. Whilst I found LOTFW to be like an embullient and outgoing new friend, COT has been more like an introverted, mysterious loner and consequently, I haven't spent a great deal of time with that album. However, I'm getting there - we'll soon have a friendship as strong as the one I enjoy with TSSK I'm sure.

One track that I've found to be very affecting is I've Got Your Number. It has the feel of Peter Gabriel about it and is very sinister. Like much of their stuff, I love this song so much because it resonates with me; Garvey is describing a moment in my life, a person I once knew, with a poetry and an incisiveness that is beyond my own humble attempts at profundity. And it's not just the words; the angular guitar that cuts as harshly as Guy's barbed comments, the lazy rhythm section and the sound of the answermachine at the end, all contribute to a tune that leaves a lasting impression long after the song has finished.
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 10:56

I also love the song. I think it's got a very sexy vibe to it.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 12:56

KingSwinger wrote:
the angular guitar that cuts as harshly as Guy's barbed comments

It's the organ isn't it?
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 14:30

I love this track - in fact iTunes tells me it's my most-played Elbow song. I love the cool, cool bassline, Garv's typical lyrics (no-nonsense but pure poetry) and the wondrous noise-squall that is the bursting organ at the end. It seems so laid-back yet there's so much venom under the surface.

My problem is... my girlfriend, fellow Elbow obsessive, has this down as one of the few Elbow songs she doesn't like. How can I change her mind? Wink
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 14:38

MagicalTrevor wrote:
KingSwinger wrote:
the angular guitar that cuts as harshly as Guy's barbed comments

It's the organ isn't it?

i thought it was organ - heavily distorted and blasted out a a volume that would hurt the ears of any organism on the planet.

and when they (surprisingly) did it on colin murray's show, craig announced that he would use a wind organ so...

anyway, one of my favourite elbow songs Smile follows their principle. simple + layers = effectiveness Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 14:39

...also Craig is playing the organ in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSEhgxihjm4
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 17:51

Wel, they had me fooled; I was convinced it was a scream of guitar that is heard around the point where he sings "I've got your number".

I wouldn't say it was sexy - not to me anyway. It actually unnerves the hell out of me.

Some Elbow songs touch me in places that either I didn't know existed, or would prefer not to be touched. This is one of them.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 17:56

Quote :
Throwing advice like grenades at the table
You're spinning your wisdom in stories that change
Your lies are fluorescent my babyfaced angel
Grow a fucking heart love
Definitely one of my favourite lyrics.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 18:13

It's an incredible song - the way the sense and meaning of the song changes on the last line - 'You've got my number.....'
Brilliant
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 18:48

Eag wrote:

My problem is... my girlfriend, fellow Elbow obsessive, has this down as one of the few Elbow songs she doesn't like. How can I change her mind? Wink
I just hope she does not feel nabbed...maybe it's a bit to angry?? silent
I really like that song. Guy really must have been felt hurt. Still he says on the ending "I got your number" though that girl needs to grow a heart to get into his one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 18:50

ticky wrote:
It's an incredible song - the way the sense and meaning of the song changes on the last line - 'You've got my number.....'
Brilliant

Well, we've all been there, haven't we? I know I have. You're filled with spite at the end of it all but, nevertheless, you hold out for reconciliation (or at least another leg-over! Which seems to be more likely with this girl.)
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 18:59

I think this one's a great track...not exactly happy-super-fun-time music but it serves a specific purpose, for both the writer/singer and the listener. When you're in this nasty relationship backwash zone, it is the perfect soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 19:11

Like 99.99% of the songs, i like this one too.

Sinister, Dark, Nasty, Lying, Hateful, with a touch of denial !
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 19:13

First glance i thought trevor's last post went like this...

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Topaz wrote:
I also love the song. I think it's got a very sexy vibe to it.

It's the organ isn't it?

Amused me no end!

It's all about Craig's HUGE organ. (Sorry man)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 19:47

The emotion reminds me a bit of some of those angry I'm left, you're right, she's gone lyrics that (ulp) Phil Collins used to write in the eighties. Specifically a marvellous track on Hello I Must Be Going called Do You Know Do You Care. The similarity is only in the subject matter, and even then Collins doesn't go into the dangerous sexual territory that Garvey does. The feeling is still the same, though, of not wanting, but at the same time wanting, to be with this person who's f*cked you up.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:10

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
Quote :
Throwing advice like grenades at the table
You're spinning your wisdom in stories that change
Your lies are fluorescent my babyfaced angel
Grow a fucking heart love
Definitely one of my favourite lyrics.

SNAP! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:35

Do you think they would ever play this live again now?
Its not nice, happy and fluffy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 06:06

I also love this song; it's always been one of my favourites on COT. It's a pity they "censored" "grow a fucking heart love" in the live session - if they ever did play it live (I can dream Smile I agree LWD, I hope some of the darker ones get back on stage someday) let's hope that wouldn't happen...
Back to top Go down
Bright Grey
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bright Grey

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 00:53

Glendarian wrote:
if they ever did play it live (I can dream Smile I agree LWD, I hope some of the darker ones get back on stage someday) let's hope that wouldn't happen...
Have you got a copy of the Brixton CD? 'coz it's on there, first live performance ...and uncensored silent
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/SeldomSeenVid
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 06:30

Yeah, King Swinger, certainly know where you're coming from.....COT has some tracks that still have a fantastic longevity to them, Fugitive, Grace, Fallen, Not a J, Switching, the rest of them I wrestle with greatly. I DO like the edgy, angular tracks of Elbow.....Bitten, Any Day Now, Little Beast and I find COT a GREAT album in parts, as good as anything they've done, yet, the flow of it can be a bit stop start for me. They were my exact thoughts when I first heard AITB, but one day that all clicked into place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 10:08

Once COT and I are on first name terms, My Bury Vest, I'll be getting Asleep In The Back. Hey, it's my birthday at the end of the month, Maybe the missus will complete my Elbow journey and buy it me.

Getting me into Elbow is one of the most rewarding things she's ever done for me - bless her! Thank god I no longer hang round with women the likes of which I've Got Your Number could so easily have been written!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 10:16

Haha ! yeah, I think we all have exes that that song could relate to, without a doubt !! Am sure you've read loads on AITB so I won't go over old ground, but yep, it's majestic. Can't remember the last CD/LP that I got for my birthday/Christmas that really made me happy ! Think it was some Neil Young...........anyway, happy listenin' KS !
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 16:49

BrightGrey wrote:
Have you got a copy of the Brixton CD? 'coz it's on there, first live performance ...and uncensored silent

Hey thanks, it's so long since I've listened to that I'd forgotten it was one there. Just having a nostaligc listen now. Smile

MyBuryVest wrote:
a GREAT album in parts, as good as anything they've done, yet, the flow of it can be a bit stop start for me. They were my exact thoughts when I first heard AITB

It was the opposite with me - one of the things I loved about AITB when I first heard it was what a brilliant album as a whole it was, before I really got to know the songs individually. Anyway KS enjoy getting to know both. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 20:14

"Grow a fucking heart, Love"
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 06:58

The Final Track wrote:
"Grow a fucking heart, Love"

I don't think I've ever heard Guy as bitter/agitated, as when he utters those words..........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've Got Your Number   I've Got Your Number Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've Got Your Number
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next