elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Album No.7 Starts here...

Go down 
+3
MagicalTrevor
allyngibson
errant
7 posters
AuthorMessage
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Album No.7 Starts here... Empty
PostSubject: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2016, 09:29

apparently writing has started... i see craig has tweeted about heading off to Scotland on a writing trip for it...
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2016, 16:55

Good. I've been jonesing for new Elbow music. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2016, 08:29

no doubt you'll already have seen the news, but its set for release on the 3rd feb next year...
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2016, 15:22

Five months is one hell of a long hype train
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeFri 30 Sep 2016, 15:31

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Five months is one hell of a long hype train

i concur... it would be nice to think there was an EP in the pipeline before then but i doubt we'll hear anything new this side of christmas sadly. but who knows, guy dropped a single out the blue and the worker bee ep came out no where too, kinda.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeSat 01 Oct 2016, 11:32

If the new record is as good as the last, it'll be a treat ; got high hopes for it !
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeMon 03 Oct 2016, 09:48

My Bury Vest wrote:
If the new record is as good as the last, it'll be a treat ; got high hopes for it !

i guess the period between 6 & 7 has been intersting from the pint of view of the fans, with them sort of doing their own things more prominentaly, jupp leaving and guy\mark's solo stuff there's a lot to add to the mix on this album, wondering what direction they're heading off in now...
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2016, 02:38

The first single, "Magnificent (She Says)," was played on Jo Whiley's show today.

I've listened to it a few times now. It feels very much like a "single edit" as the ending seems quite abrupt, so now I'm curious if the album has a fuller version that runs more like 5 or 6 minutes. The song has a lot of moving parts -- a strident guitar riff, an epic string orchestra attack, Guy's vocal resting gently in the center of the wall of sound. I have no idea what it's about, but it's lovely. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2016, 09:40

agreed - lovely... magnificent even?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2016, 15:18

It's a good song...you can tell Jupp isn't the drummer though, and I think the drums are lacking a little.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2016, 15:59

Actually I take it back...gave it another listen this morning and the drums seemed to work better. Interestingly they seem to have left in a rim click at about 1:57...that would drive me mad!
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2016, 16:15

The tracklisting:

1. Magnificent (She Says) (4:24)
2. Gentle Storm (3:39)
3. Trust the Sun (5:55)
4. All Disco (4:27)
5. Head for Supplies (3:56)
6. Firebrand & Angel (5:25)
7. K2 (5:18)
8. Montparnasse (2:40)
9. Little Fictions (8:26)
10. Kindling (4:15)
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2016, 21:34

It's a delightful new track and interesting that it's the opener- Elbow's opening tracks are usually quite glacial, sparse and quietly emotional (Station Approach from LOTFW an exception) and Magnificent (She Says) is a slightly faster, bolder, more upbeat affair.

You can indeed tell Jupp is absent but the percussion is still decent and it's got a great rhythm.

Interesting track listing - some of the song titles are plain odd, but that piques my curiosity further. Very much liking the artwork and the album title.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2016, 12:50

A new Elbow song for Christmas! Thanks Santa! santa

Have played the single several times now, and listened in different settings - headphones, car, wireless sound system - and each time it sounds a little different. Or maybe I'm just focusing on different things each time. On headphones I'm hearing layers and catching details, in the car I'm just getting the basics with the melody front and center, and on my Sonos I'm getting the wide-angle, Cinemascope version, which sounds really full and lush and seamless.

Nothing about it I don't like, in any setting. Saw the comments from others about the drums, and I would be lying if I said I didn't hear anything different. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way they sound, but is there a certain touch that's missing? I do kinda think so. It's missing Jupp's fingerprints for sure. But it is still a very cohesive and nicely put-together track.

Gonna have to live with it for a wee bit longer before I decide how it ranks against past work, but first impressions are very positive. Just so nice to hear the boys - I truly have missed them! That new album cannot get here soon enough! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2016, 15:17

For me (and as a drummer) it's just a different style of playing that at first jarred a little, but on repeat listens I think it really works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album No.7 Starts here...   Album No.7 Starts here... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Album No.7 Starts here...
Page 1 of 1