elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow and the film Cinderella Man

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Empty
PostSubject: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 22:20

I've been asked by a friend "what is the connection between the film Cinderella Man and the band Elbow?"

I dunno scratch

Anyone help, I ain't seen the film and a quick Google search hasn't turned up anything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeThu 11 Jun 2009, 16:57

Based on this IMDB review,

"During the Great Depression, a common-man hero, James J. Braddock--a.k.a. the Cinderella Man--was to become one of the most surprising sports legends in history. By the early 1930s, the impoverished ex-prizefighter was seemingly as broken-down, beaten-up and out-of-luck as much of the rest of the American populace who had hit rock bottom. His career appeared to be finished, he was unable to pay the bills, the only thing that mattered to him--his family--was in danger, and he was even forced to go on Public Relief. But deep inside, Jim Braddock never relinquished his determination. Driven by love, honor and an incredible dose of grit, he willed an impossible dream to come true. In a last-chance bid to help his family, Braddock returned to the ring. No one thought he had a shot. However Braddock, fueled by something beyond mere competition, kept winning. Suddenly, the ordinary working man became the mythic athlete. Carrying the hopes and dreams of the disenfranchised on his shoulders, Braddock rocketed through the ranks, until this underdog chose to do the unthinkable: take on the heavyweight champ of the world, the unstoppable Max Baer, renowned for having killed two men in the ring"
(Written by Sujit R. Varma)

I wonder if your mate is getting at the parallels between the bands' passion and sheer will of determination to keep going - especially when Leaders came out, as that was almost the last thing they did. There was a real risk they would be skint, finally demoralised to the point of giving up and have had to get day jobs. The pressure was even harder for Mark, Craig & Jupp with their own families to support.

TSSK is comparable to the 'last ditch attempt' in the film, with their love of what they do fuelling the amazing worldwide commercial and critical success they've had since. I'm not sure who or what the equivalent of the Max Baer character would be, but you can certainly say they've won over a lot of music press and critics in the last year and a bit!

/Puts down bunch of straws I'd been clutching
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeThu 11 Jun 2009, 22:22

You may well be right with that Mrs W, but I think you are indeed clutching at straws! Nice theory though cheers

Unfortunately, my mate knows nowt about Elbow and was just passing on a question he'd heard from someone else, as he thought I would know the answer. scratch

Another mate reckons there's an "elbow wrestling" scene in the film, so it could be that I suppose. Bit tenuous mind. geek
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 09:52

Grrr... I hate when that happens... I'll always be wondering about it now... Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Smiley-angry003
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 13:44

Hi everyone

Damon Runyon was an American short story writer.

He is credited with giving the boxer James Braddock his nickname "The Cinderella Man"
One of the characters in Runyons books was nicknamed "The Seldom Seen Kid"

And before you ask. No I'm not an expert on American literature in the first half of the 20th century, I'm just a very lucky Googler!

Have a nice weekend
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 17:40

Wahey!! cheers

I knew that someone on here would come through! Well done Sparky! cheers
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 17:45

That is a pretty tenuous link though eh scratch
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 17:48

It's good enough for me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 19:14

Fantastic!
Well done, Sparky!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow and the film Cinderella Man   Elbow and the film Cinderella Man Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow and the film Cinderella Man
Page 1 of 1