elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?

Go down 
+24
Cozzer
Glendarian
Paulo Paulo
NeonChoir
LongLegs
Kim
elbowismymuse
leespoons
My Bury Vest
allyngibson
Hotblack
redliz2
Lynne
Mr Woman
oneofthethree
lucky with disease
ChrissieInFL
newborn
fadeupyoursmile
mrswoman
al
MagicalTrevor
bluejayway
ticky
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 13:38

elbowismymuse wrote:
He has an image. He can sing. His songs are inoffensive and I've heard worse, but I think the legend far outshines the actual talent. I am talking about Elvis Presley. Don't get the fuss, really, really don't. He isn't *bad* but is he really THAT good?

I would agree that his legend became bigger than life, and he's not one of my big favorites. But I do see why Elvis gets all the fuss he gets. The sensation he caused with his look, clothes, etc. embellished his rep but it wasn't the whole reason for it. Part of it is about timing. Nobody had done what he was doing at the time, taking blues and creating something new out of it for white audiences to hear. That alone was hugely influential on everything that followed in rock music (including the Beatles, who all said how much Elvis made them want to make music themselves). Plus, his whole "rebel" thing was the first time we ever saw punk. In a different form, of course, but he was definitely the punk of his time, shaking up the traditions, making music more dangerous than it had been and leading the youth astray.

And part of it was, he honestly had an amazing voice. He had power, resonance, sensuality, and a really unique vocal style - nobody has ever sounded like him, before or since, unless they were imitating him.I do respect what he did and acknowledge his role in shaping rock as we know it, but I wouldn't say I'm a proper fan. I don't even own a single Elvis album, but there are a few of his songs that I will always think of as being among the best of the best. This is one of 'em - listen to it, and you can hear why that voice still holds up all these years later, even without the black leather jackets and the sequined jumpsuits.

Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 14:31

[quote="ChrissieInFL"]
Kim wrote:
I really have a love/hate thing going with Florence & The Machine and I want to like them way more than I actually do.
I love Florence for the same reason I love Janis Joplin -- there's something about her voice that's like a knife through the mental fuzz. When I'm mentally crashing, but I need a jolt of audio adrenaline, I'll turn to Joplin -- or Florence and the Machine. The voice just cuts through it all, and I feel mentally rejuvenated. The yo-yoing octave jumps are, for me, a really nifty feature of Florence Welch's voice, and they hearken back to the Joplinesque thing.

Also, Florence is a ginger, and I love gingers. It's a shallow reason, I know. Smile

I think her video for "Dog Days Are Over" is just awful, though. I really do love the song, but it's an awful, awful video. Stomach turning, even.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 17:44

You know she's not a natural ginger, right?
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 18:00

Don't harsh on my dream!
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 18:42

I wasn't trying to. I was merely making a statement. I know I was severely disappointed when I found that out.

Either way, she's a gorgeous woman, so it doesn't really matter. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paulo Paulo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 23:08

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Hey you can make your own unbiased choices you know.

At least give Entangled a listen. It's one of the Elboy's faves, and Newborn was based on it.

Wow! Really?

I honestly would never have guessed that but it may explain why I love 'Newborn' so much.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 11:27

never really got Arcade Fire. They've written some good songs, and singerbloke sounds a bit like Ian McCulloch (which is a plus in my book) but other than a couple of songs they don't really move me at all.

I mentioned Arctic Monkeys further up the thread a couple of years ago, then they wrote "Cornerstone" which is a fantastic song. Still don't like much else by them, mind.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 14:06

I know a lot of fellow Elbow fans love Doves but I've never really got into them. Also agree with Lee, a friend of mine adores Aracde Fire and has played them to me lots but I've never really got into them. Both of them I can appreciate they're good but they don't do it for me.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 14:15

Paulo Paulo wrote:
MagicalTrevor wrote:

At least give Entangled a listen. It's one of the Elboy's faves, and Newborn was based on it.

Wow! Really?

I honestly would never have guessed that but it may explain why I love 'Newborn' so much.

I love both (but Newborn more) and suppose there's a bit of a Genesis influence but they're soooo different!
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 14:29

Glendarian wrote:
Paulo Paulo wrote:
MagicalTrevor wrote:

Wow! Really?

I love both (but Newborn more) and suppose there's a bit of a Genesis influence but they're soooo different!

And I guess if you like Entangled then Blood On The Rooftops may be up your street too. Saw Steve Hackett play this recently at The Stables in Milton Keynes. Sublime.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 14:40

When I re=heard Blood On The Rooftops after not hearing it for about fifteen years, I thought it was uttlery breathtaking. Especially the chorus, sounds so modern...and it's one of Phil Collins first solo writing efforts. Shame what happened to his writing (Ssu..Sssu..Sssudi-oh **** off!), but there you go.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 14:52

Quote :
And I guess if you like Entangled then Blood On The Rooftops may be up your street too. Saw Steve Hackett play this recently at The Stables in Milton Keynes. Sublime.
I bet Steve Hackett was great! Blood on the Rooftops wasn't one of my favourites though. Must give Wind & Wuthering another listen - my Genesis nostalgia is a bit earlier TBH and when I do get Wind & Wuthering out I tend to stick at One for the Vine which is my favourite on that album. (Sorry, wrong thread... Embarassed though I suppose I could say post-Then There Were 3-Genesis is one I don't like but some people say I should - hehe shouldn't get MT going Wink)
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 14:55

I agree this is going off topic...sort of.

But yeah that era was the start of utter suckage...some gems, but best seen as diamonds in turds.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 14:59

Sorry I must be thinking of someone else - I agree with you (well, except that I'm hard pushed to find the post-Wind & Wuthering diamonds TBH) but I know there are some round here who love it all, so it's kind of on topic...
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 15:18

*OT* OK guys I've just had a listen to Blood on the Rooftops (for the first time in years probably) and yes, it is lovely.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 15:35

OK, as we are going down this road, I'll point them out:

from ...And then there were three...

Burning Rope - Probably the only ever example of excellent Mike Rutherford guitar soloing
Many Too Many - lovely song this, very smart changes

from Duke

Heathaze - "The trees and I are shaken by the same wind but whereas the trees will lose their withered leaves, I just can't seem to let them loose" - sheer poetry from Tony Banks.
Cul-De-Sac - Environmentally aware before it was fashionable.
Dukes Travels/Duke's End - maybe a little over indulgent, but this IS prog after all - great performance (marred by cheesy keyboard sounds, but it was the '80s)

from Abacab (tough one this)

Dodo/Lurker - prob the best one on here, nicely dark. Lyrics are utter nonsense, but they are meant to be.

from Genesis (or 'Shapes')

Mama - Great song this, really dark.

from Invisble Touch...

Ok nothing here, move along.

From We Can't Dance

not much here either, prob only Fading Lights.

Things progressively got worse, but there are some beauties up there.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 17:08

I quite like Land Of Confusion. Shoot me now.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 17:24

MT I believe you. Wink
Lee don't worry I don't know it so I won't be reaching for the gun...

Back OT (!) I've just remebered another, people keep telling me how brilliant Joanna Newsom is but I can't get into her at all.

Last edited by Glendarian on Thu 24 Mar 2011, 17:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 17:24

Lee Spoons wrote:
I quite like Land Of Confusion. Shoot me now.

It's not a bad song, but it's SO '80s sounding. Disturbed did a version of it, but it wasn't very good.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 17:37

Glendarian wrote:

Back OT (!) I've just remebered another, people keep telling me how brilliant Joanna Newsom is but I can't get into her at all.

I agree with you Glendarian, she doesn't do it for me either.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 18:52

Can I be controversial and say.... Bob Dylan...
(cowers behind sofa)
I keep hearing how amazing he is, but man, I just don't get it... (slinks off)
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 20:02

Jones wrote:
Can I be controversial and say.... Bob Dylan...
(cowers behind sofa)
I keep hearing how amazing he is, but man, I just don't get it... (slinks off)

I agree mate - bores me senseless, just don't connect with his music at all. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 21:07

I like a lot of his songs but tend to prefer other people doing them... Neutral
Back to top Go down
chan
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011, 11:59

Radiohead - i just dont understand how OK Computer amongst others is often rated one of the best albums ever.

Muse are another one i cant get into, yet loads of people love them.

Personally for me it annoys me when bands become big on the back of one song and everyone raves about them and how good they yet they have only heard one song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michaelchaneyuk
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 18:02

chan wrote:

Personally for me it annoys me when bands become big on the back of one song and everyone raves about them and how good they yet they have only heard one song.

This! I had someone (my ex-best friend) try to come off as a huge National fan. She was like, "Yeah, I LOVE The National." I called her out on it: "E, you've only heard ONE song by them, and it's because I recommended it to you." Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next