elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?

Go down 
+24
Cozzer
Glendarian
Paulo Paulo
NeonChoir
LongLegs
Kim
elbowismymuse
leespoons
My Bury Vest
allyngibson
Hotblack
redliz2
Lynne
Mr Woman
oneofthethree
lucky with disease
ChrissieInFL
newborn
fadeupyoursmile
mrswoman
al
MagicalTrevor
bluejayway
ticky
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 18:32

Not Tony Banks, tickling her ivories?!

ticky wrote:
inspired me to think of the artists that I really don't like, although it seems like the rest of the population think they're almost as good as Elbow.

Heehe! liked the way you put that, ticky.
Sometimes I'm not that taken with the look of an artist, but I'll give any music a listen.

If I don't like the sound of it, I don't care who, or how many others like it, even if its the most popular band ever... played on every radio, TV show and every TV advert etc, Its not going to make me think I should like it. It has to be musicians/music I hear that I want to listen to again or hear more of.

Guy's Finest Hour has introduced me to some music that I really love now, and also brought to awareness stuff I loved already that you didn't hear so much on radio. But also there has been music he has featured that I've tried, but really not been able to appreciate the same taste.
There is also music out there which I feel is under rated, that seems to be only loved by a few.

Out of some of the ones mentioned, that seem to invoke strong feeling of like and dislike, I love listening to Radiohead, Genesis, Bob Dylan's songs, but not so much him singing them.
Appreciate what King Crimson and Morrisey have done but they don't really feature on my playlist.
There are also bands where I liked their early stuff, like Coldplay and early Oasis, but not what they are doing now. Glastonbury on telly this year....I was bowled over by Neil Young, but not by Blur, I have to say.

Am listening more to Kasabian's music right now, for some reason Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 19:36

lucky with disease wrote:

Am listening more to Kasabian's music right now, for some reason Wink

Subliminal Advertising?!

Can everyone leave my cerebrum out of this!

I also think Muse are somewhat over rated, i used to like them, but they've never really moved on!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 19:51

Hadn't really thought about Kasabian being subliminal, Sarah...saw there was lots of interest for them on ERO, and so gave them a listen.

I was on to teeth, to distract from cerebrums.

Muse...I havn't listened to their latest yet, to see if I like it.
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 20:16

has the muse album leaked or is it just the single, which has a weird sort of dr who feel to it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 20:42

This is a difficult thread. I don't wish to veer into the realms of bands I hate which is covered elsewhere.

I also have the problem of now "getting it" with bands I used to dislike eg Muse and finding myself hating bands I used to like a lot eg Snow Patrol.

I believe that how much you like a band is ultimately decided by the test of time, not the fickleness of the zeitgeist. I've seen too much indie landfill down the years to be convinced by the likes of Razorlight, Kooks, Klaxons etc.

So, given the test of time, I'd have to say it's Blur for me. They say absolutely nothing to me about my life.

Plus, Damon Albarn is a humourless knob, not the cheeky cockney geezer he chose to portray himself as during the so-called Britpop wars.

I'd have happily paid good money to see Blur and Oasis sort it out "mano a mano" in a pit with cutlasses and save us all a lot of grief in the process.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 20:56

I like blur, but it reminds me of my teen years, Oasis leave me cold - Music for drunk blokes to sing on the way home from the pub, Blurs think tank has moments of utter beauty!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 23:24

I've never really been a big fan of U2. I liked their very early stuff but they've become (dare I say it) far to big for their boots. I can't really justify my comment as I don't even bother to listen to their latest stuff. Hope I haven't offended anyone it's just a personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 08:19

oneofthethree wrote:
has the muse album leaked or is it just the single, which has a weird sort of dr who feel to it.

no that's the single Uprising .. cross Dr Who theme/Call me: Blondie/ the bass line of the Saturdays Up and a healthy dose of Bellemy-esque paranoic lyrics plus football chantimg ..voila! Laughing
Doing nothing for me (and I'm a big Muse fan) and I absolutely hated the other song I've heard from the new album United Staes of Eurasia (Muse do Bohemian Rhapsody + a "cover" of a Chopin piece)

alien *duck Mafoo ...they're comg for you* Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 07 Aug 2009, 15:00

Lynne, I feel that way about U2 too, also Franz Ferdinand and Bruce Springsteen.

Stephen Fretwell and Richard Hawley's music, I have tried, but no, I can't listen.
I suppose on a more positive note, I could add some bands/artists now that I think SHOULD be listened to by more people...saw Nick Drake has been added now to the bands list, did Jeff Buckley get added yet?
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 08 Aug 2009, 15:46

Luckywithdisease said
Quote :
If I don't like the sound of it, I don't care who, or how many others like it, even if its the most popular band ever... played on every radio, TV show and every TV advert etc, Its not going to make me think I should like it. It has to be musicians/music I hear that I want to listen to again or hear more of.

And Mr Woamn said
Quote :
I believe that how much you like a band is ultimately decided by the test of time, not the fickleness of the zeitgeist. I've seen too much indie landfill down the years to be convinced by the likes of Razorlight, Kooks, Klaxons etc.

Couldn't really put it better myself. I never feel that I ought to like a band. I like what I like and won't be swayed by hype, popularity (or unpopularity) of a band. I've bought enough albums over the years that 6 months down the line I think 'Why did I ever buy that?'' Doesn't happen often nowadays but I still get caught occasionally.

I find Spotify is fabulous. If I listen to something regularly on Spotify it's worth buying. If I listen once or twice and don't bother again well, forget it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 00:24

Add me to the Snow Patrol detractors.

I really liked Final Straw at the time. I discovered the band thanks for EA's MVP Baseball 2004, which had "Spitting Games" in the soundtrack. I liked the sound, went out and bought the album (same day as I bought Elbow's Cast of Thousands), and I will say, in all honesty, that I listened to Final Straw that first year more than I listened to CoT, despite the latter being the album I made all my friends listen to.

The reason is down to musicianship. Final Straw wasn't complex. It was good for an easy, non-challenging listen. It was hummable. CoT virtually required attention. It wasn't a casual album. (Just to make things clear -- Elbow's musicianship > Snow Patrol's musicianship)

Eyes Open. I liked it. I listened to it a lot. "Chasing Cars" is a song that describes a relationship of that time very well. But, there isn't anything memorable about the album. It all sounds the same. And even "Chasing Cars" wasn't immune; that song became huge and the relationship went sour. I reached a point where I didn't want to hear "Chasing Cars" any... frelling... more.

Then came Spider-Man 3 and "Signal Fire." There's nothing wrong with the song, and that's precisely it's problem. If you took Eyes Open and shoved it in a blender and hit puree, you would get something as completely inoffensive and unmemorable as "Signal Fire." I called the song "a Snow Patrol pastiche." Snow Patrol wrote a song that sounded like a Snow Patrol song.

And that's the problem. That's why I hate Snow Patrol. There is now a genre I can point to and say, "Snow Patrol song."

I think the band absolutely deserved Leona Lewis' cover of "Run."

I do, however, sort of like their cover of "One Day LIke This." It's not great. But it doesn't offend me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:28

Let me get this right.........Snow Patrol covered ODLT ? EVERYTHING since Run, in my opinion has been unbelievably dross, I reckon the papermached head, the legend that is , Frank Sidebottom, would beat Lightbody in a sing off, EASILY.

Goes to lie down for a very long sleep, hoping that I imagined those words.......... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 13:08

They covered ODLT around the same time as Leona Lewis first covered Run, the SP board was FULL of people bemoaning her being allowed to cover the song and i thought that's exactly how i feel about SP covering (And subsequently ripping off) ODLT!
I think what did it for me is if you listen to Absolute Gravity NEXT TO Chasing Cars, two completely different bands. Lightbody's said the last three albums have all been about the same break up, you can tell, stale music by numbers with no real heart behind it. Early SP, when Lightbody sings "You're a crazy, fucked-up, bitch." He means it. Think they'd do that now?!
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 14:07

Click the link -- Snow Patrol, "One Day Like This"

I don't mind it. The problem is that they don't bring anything new to it.

For example, Green Day and Elbow have both covered John Lennon's "Working Class Hero." Both bands did completely different things to the song, and both made the song theirs. Green Day's version sounds like a Green Day song (and it makes a nice bridge between American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown). Elbow's version sounds like an Elbow song.

Snow Patrol's "One Day Like This" sounds inoffensive. They don't make a mark on it.

And yet, I do kinda like it.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 15:18

allyngibson wrote:
Snow Patrol's "One Day Like This" sounds inoffensive. They don't make a mark on it.

"Inoffensive" wasn't the first word that came to mind when I listened to it...the first word I thought of was "joyless". It's like the soul got sucked out of the song somehow...it's a song about the rapture of new love, and yet it sounds fairly dull when SP do it. Meh. Neutral
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 18:06

Mmmm - Listening to that I'm thinking of wallpaper paste and dry crackers. Sleep
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 18:23

Ha ha ha! I also get slighty frustrated that "Crack the shutters" seems to be such an OBVIOUS rip-off of ODLT only without the underlying emotion!
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 21:10

Arctic Monkeys. I may be a 34-year-old dad but it just sounds like noise to me - like the rap music I used to play to the bemusement of my mum when I was 14 Smile

I just can't think of a single song by them which I've wanted to listen to more than once, apart from maybe Brianstorm.

Until I heard Kingdom Of Rust I would've said Doves too, but I love it. Reading a few comments on a couple of other forums I hang around and a lot of people think it's their weakest album... oh well, 'orses fook 'orses...
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 21:11

actually add Muse to the list. I think it's Matthew Baaa-lamby's voice.
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Mar 2011, 03:29

This thread''s been sitting here a while. Are we all so sated with Elbow that nothing offends any more because nothing matters any more? :p

I think the biggest disappointment in music of recent years for me has been Keane. I thought Hopes and Fears, while dreadful lyrically, was a great, very accessible album musically, some excellent tunes on there - I especially love "Sunshine" as it just *lovely* on the ears - but since that album? Dross. Heavily influenced by synthesised 80s' pop, one can see, but I just find a lot of it so dull. David Bowie is apparently a big influence on the band - and I love Bowie - but I can't see it.

The problem is that very few bands are strong on both lyrical and musical prowess. Rarely do you get both - Elbow and Queen just two off the top of my head that REALLY impress me, all round - but when they have neither... it's a bit pointless really.

Hated Razorlight as soon as I heard them - I think "America" has to be one of the most annoying "songs" ever written.

But here comes the most controversial...

He has an image. He can sing. His songs are inoffensive and I've heard worse, but I think the legend far outshines the actual talent. I am talking about Elvis Presley. Don't get the fuss, really, really don't. He isn't *bad* but is he really THAT good?

Lionel Richie makes me want to vomit.

Radiohead were brilliant at the start. Haven''t taken to much of their stuff since OK Computer though, tbh. Tuneless electronica does nothing for me.

I am new to Muse and loving what I have heard so far. They are very reminiscent of Queen at times, almost to the point of plagiarism, but they're clearly excellent musicans and I love their "epic" sound. The only song of theirs I've vehemently disliked so far is "Undisclosed Desires" partly because before i knew it was them, I assumed it was some crappy boy band's....JLS or STD or whatever.

Many of the other artists mentioned leave me with no opinion whatsoever.... I knoe the names but I almost couldn't even tell you what they had done.... this is not a good thing, obviously. If they were excellent artists, given that they are chart-toppers, I should know what they've done.

One of the laziest songs ever written is "Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs. It's catchy, sure. But is it really that musically brilliant? I just find it a bit unimaginative. Then again, perhaps it was written for instant, on-the-surface sing-along-satisfaction?

That's all I can think of for now!
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Mar 2011, 12:44

Thread necromancy!

ChrissieInFL wrote:
allyngibson wrote:

"Inoffensive" wasn't the first word that came to mind when I listened to it...the first word I thought of was "joyless". It's like the soul got sucked out of the song somehow...it's a song about the rapture of new love, and yet it sounds fairly dull when SP do it. Meh. Neutral

Snow Patrol must really love "One Day Like This." Here's a concert version with a back-up strings section.

It probably wouldn't be bad, if someone else were singing it. Lightbody doesn't have the vocal range, and he (very noticeably) misses notes. It would also help if they tried to do something new with the song, instead of just recording Elbow's arrangement.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Mar 2011, 13:52

Out of interest, do you think it's Stella et al on the strings?
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 09:03

Florence And The Machine... I like the music in theory but her voice gives me RAGE when it does the same yoyo effect over and over again. Mad
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 09:47

ticky wrote:
Out of interest, do you think it's Stella et al on the strings?

They were last night, Ticky!
I also saw an article and Guy mentioned that when we arrived in the arena, there would be a string quartet, similar to 2009 at MEN/Wembley scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 13:17

Kim wrote:
Florence And The Machine... I like the music in theory but her voice gives me RAGE when it does the same yoyo effect over and over again. Mad

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one! I really have a love/hate thing going with Florence & The Machine and I want to like them way more than I actually do. I've heard her sing brilliantly, on other people's songs, and it's maddening that the way she sings on her own material is so much less enjoyable - to me, anyway.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?   Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which band/artist do you think you SHOULD like but in reality you don't?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next