elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?

Go down 
+33
Open arms
alanguy
Blind Io
Vinegartom
OllieCT
JessieAddick
KoRoBeNiKi
silemary
elbowismymuse
leespoons
The Final Track
ukkonen
Hunta
Lynne
ticky
TamedLamia
Glendarian
rascalphoto
Jools
My Bury Vest
run-lola-run
Leo
ChrissieInFL
nikkijaydee
nellie
Dabamash
josephblack
bluejayway
WOBLEwoble
fadeupyoursmile
Jones
Grant
Tailfly
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
KoRoBeNiKi
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-09-23

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2011, 05:52

Probably Mirrorball or The Birds. Both of them show the soft and the louder side of the band, both include instrumentals.
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Oct 2011, 13:57

elbowismymuse wrote:
In this vein, I would probably go for Red or Powder Blue. If I were to use TSSK it'd be Loneliness due to its power.
My choice exactly! Very Happy TSSK is my favourate Elbow album but if I had to introduce someone to their music,I would pick Powder Blue,Red or Fugitive Motel to recommend.These three all have that kind of beautiful melodies which immediately catch your attention.Also,in my opinion they somehow represent the entire Elbow catalog - beautiful,melancholy,touching,and with great lyrics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
OllieCT
fallen angel
fallen angel
OllieCT

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-08-08

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 08 Oct 2011, 21:10

I got my Dad build a rocket boys! and he was crying his eyes out to Lippy Kids on the way to work on first listen so I'd go for that (he'd only known One Day Like This beforehand).
Back to top Go down
Vinegartom
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-11-17

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Nov 2011, 23:52

For me, Scattered Balack and Whites every time.

My 4 year old daughter loves Starlings. She's into trumpets at the moment, though...
Back to top Go down
Blind Io
newborn
newborn
Blind Io

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov 2011, 16:12

I think varies from person to person. For one of my best friends, who since high school has relied on others (meaning, me) to find new music for him, I played "The Fix", and he was hooked. For another friend who is very into vocals and melody, it was "Great Expectations" that did it. My wife is very resistant to new music. Even after ten years of marriage, I'm still not sure why. For the longest time I tried to get her into Elbow, but no matter which song I played she seemed indifferent. So I gave up. A couple years ago though, on a six hour drive back from visiting family in Oklahoma, I played TSSK straight through. No real response at the time, but a few days later she asked what that album was we listened to in the car. Huh. I thought she was asleep. It quickly became one of her favorites. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
alanguy
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-10-29

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 17:52

I love Starlings, and I'm not into trumpets!
Back to top Go down
Open arms
little beast
little beast
Open arms

Female Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 20:34

It depends to whom I'll introduce it. For my mum I'll use "some riots" and for friends "mexican standoff" for exemple. But they are so many good songs that's hard to choose
Back to top Go down
http://simpsonvips.canalblog.com/
v5
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Nov 2011, 15:45

i've had only one introduction to elbow where elbow gained a fan. first song was scattered b&w
Back to top Go down
Puncture Repair
fallen angel
fallen angel
Puncture Repair

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jan 2012, 10:42

First song I ever heard was "Weather to Fly" - that got me hooked.
Not sure it'd work for other people, perhaps too mellow.

To be honest I'd say One Day Like This or Grounds for Divorce as the best to introduce, granted they may just be considered overpopular singles here, but they're still great songs, and they're popular for a reason I suppose.

But music is a funny thing - I personally hate it when people "introduce" music to me, but I understand why they do it - I always get the urge to make people love the music I love, but it just doens't work like that.
If you think they'd like Elbow, just say that and leave it there - then the magic of discovery will be left to them, and they simply might just not like it.
Imagine if the first time you heard an Elbow song someone was leaning over your shoulder looking like this:
What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 PuGQ6
It'd put you off.

Sometimes the reason I love Elbow is that very few people around me also love them to the extent I do Wink
Back to top Go down
Molly
fallen angel
fallen angel
Molly

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 25 May 2012, 15:30

Recently I had a debate with a friend about "which are the better band" , clearly I was saying elbow , but she was saying the killers , so we agreed we would listen to a song that the other one had selected , so i sent her the link to "Mexican Standoff" and she liked it (Although it would have been my very best , but i couldn't find it) Smile
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 26 May 2012, 05:44

^ I like them both, but I like Elbow more. I actually got off The Killers for a little bit after "Sam's Town" came out. Of course, this has since changed, and I'm more receptive of it now ("Uncle Jonny" is an awesome tune.), but I still think it's their weakest album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3