elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?

Go down 
+33
Open arms
alanguy
Blind Io
Vinegartom
OllieCT
JessieAddick
KoRoBeNiKi
silemary
elbowismymuse
leespoons
The Final Track
ukkonen
Hunta
Lynne
ticky
TamedLamia
Glendarian
rascalphoto
Jools
My Bury Vest
run-lola-run
Leo
ChrissieInFL
nikkijaydee
nellie
Dabamash
josephblack
bluejayway
WOBLEwoble
fadeupyoursmile
Jones
Grant
Tailfly
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 07:13

Ideally it would be (and is) Newborn - my favourite and the one that got me into them originally, but being realistic about it, the one that's worked for most people has been lending them TSSK, in particular GFD and ODLT.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 10:55

I'd also say Red works quite well... It has a lot of things that make a good elbow songs!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 18:16

I would say "Newborn" because it shows all sides of Elbow, the soft ones and the hard ones. I just hope they will have still their hard sides.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 20:42

Station Approach - because it's their best!!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2009, 20:57

This is such a difficult one. It would have to be a toss up with The Stops and Mirrorball. Whenever I listen to Mirrorball I just melt. My eldest daughter particularly loves Mirrorball and sings along to it with all her heart. My sister loves Fugitive Motel.

The band is starting to grow on my Mum too, now. I've recently compiled a disc with all my Elbow favourites and she can't stop playing it. Their popularity is constantly growing to the older and younger generation which is another reason why they are a fab band.
Back to top Go down
Hunta
fallen angel
fallen angel
Hunta

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Dec 2009, 23:23

I tried introducing and converting with GFD and The bones of you, got only ''Sounds good, kinda meh though'' back Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

Female Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Dec 2009, 03:50

I hear you! What's up with that? I heard "Bones of You" and it was a life changer...truly. That song still blows me away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spectrum-photo.net
Hunta
fallen angel
fallen angel
Hunta

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Dec 2009, 08:20

Maybe some of my friends aren't that into music too much, or they just don't like Elbow's type of songs. My little sister likes the songs, but she says that the band name puts her off. 'Wierdest band name ever' to be exact quote. Guess it's not sensual enough.
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009, 01:20

She has a point
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009, 09:53

Hunta wrote:
Maybe some of my friends aren't that into music too much, or they just don't like Elbow's type of songs. My little sister likes the songs, but she says that the band name puts her off. 'Wierdest band name ever' to be exact quote. Guess it's not sensual enough.

Makes me curious what kind of bands those people like, because like I heard in some interview (was it Doves?) is any bandname stupid until the band behind it makes it special What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Hunta
fallen angel
fallen angel
Hunta

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009, 20:33

rascalphoto wrote:
She has a point

You think so? I think Elbow is a great name 'The most sensous word in the english laungage, not by it's definition, but for how it feels to say it '
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009, 22:39

Yes...if you go deeper, the name is good. But, on the surface, I would say that it is odd...first impression and still my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Dec 2009, 00:51

I've known a lot of people who have laughed at the name 'Elbow', so it's pretty common reaction for people to think it's bizarre/weird. Personally, I've never had a problem with it. It's better than the ones that make absolutely no sense at all.

I used to use Red a lot as an introduction to the band (I've turned a lot of people onto this band). Now that I have a bigger collection of their music and since a lot of it is diverse to appeal to different tastes, I normally think about what the person I'm introducing them to would prefer. I've never thought to use the Bones of You or GFD as starters, I have a huge tendency to grab something from the first two albums. I'm a huge believer in exposing full albums instead of songs. I think if you're going to choose something off of a concept album like TSSK, you'll have better success sharing the entire album instead of just bits and pieces. The songs work together alone, but someone will fully grasp it all when they have the album in its entirety. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Dec 2009, 21:29

Bones of You
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 14:03

My mate Gary bought TSSK because I made a casual reference to one of the tracks (The Fix, I think) sounding vaguely like his favourite band Tindersticks. He then proceeded to write a rather scathing review on his blog in which he describes the album as "background music for dinner parties".

Some people, eh? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec 2009, 15:19

Lee Spoons wrote:
My mate Gary bought TSSK because I made a casual reference to one of the tracks (The Fix, I think) sounding vaguely like his favourite band Tindersticks. He then proceeded to write a rather scathing review on his blog in which he describes the album as "background music for dinner parties".

Some people, eh? Rolling Eyes

That is sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 03:33

That sounds like a dinner party I would LOVE to go to!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 16:05

Just converted another pal to the Church of Elbow, and it was because of my ringtone! I have a snippet of Forget Myself as the ringtone on my mobile, and my friend heard it and asked me what it was. I played her the whole track and she loved it, then I told her I'd do her up a sampler disc, which I did, and she promptly decided that Elbow are ace! So there's another one for our side - huzzah! cheers
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 19:09

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Just converted another pal to the Church of Elbow, and it was because of my ringtone! I have a snippet of Forget Myself as the ringtone on my mobile, and my friend heard it and asked me what it was. I played her the whole track and she loved it, then I told her I'd do her up a sampler disc, which I did, and she promptly decided that Elbow are ace! So there's another one for our side - huzzah! cheers

I'm hoping for the same thing, I have Leaders Of The Free World as ringtone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 21:29

Powder Blue is my ringtone.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 22:24

Fallen Angel was mine for ages, the yell at the beginning would scare me half to death, so i'd answer it before anyone could even find out who it was!
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 00:34

Nice work, Chrissie. I don't know what the deal is, here in America. I can't get any interest!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 02:24

rascalphoto wrote:
Nice work, Chrissie. I don't know what the deal is, here in America. I can't get any interest!

Well, it isn't as if most of my friends and aquaintances know Elbow. I ususally get a blank stare when I mention their name to folks round here, but a few friends have come on board so far and I am hopeful that I may find more willing converts eventually. I am always talking them up to anyone who'll listen! Smile
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 10:15

I played TSSK to a friend ages ago and he wasn't fussed, said the melodies were not immediate enough for him. After a few listens he came to accept Mirrorball and The Loneliness of a TCD as the best two.... albeit still saying it wasn't his kind of music... I think he called it background music too.

It wasn't until he heard Powder Blue that his ears really pricked up. He then went on to admit love for Red too and he loves most of Leaders as an album.

He's still pretty blasé about TSSK though. I think it is their least immediate album... the music is more complex and layered. He doesn't believe in music that doesn't grab him first time and the tune has to be very immediate.

In this vein, I would probably go for Red or Powder Blue. If I were to use TSSK it'd be Loneliness due to its power.
Back to top Go down
silemary
newborn
newborn

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Aug 2011, 22:15

Probably Leaders of the Free World or Grounds for Divorce - they're both instantly apealling!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next