elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?

Go down 
+16
errant
LaurenJade
ElbowFreak
JessieAddick
silemary
ChrissieInFL
leespoons
My Bury Vest
TamedLamia
lucky with disease
ChrissyBoy
Jones
ticky
fadeupyoursmile
MagicalTrevor
n0n0k0
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
n0n0k0
fallen angel
fallen angel
n0n0k0

Female Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Empty
PostSubject: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 11:52

Have you had one? A magical moment while an Elbow song was playing? It seems so many of their songs are about magical encounters...but how about us?

Mine is a "magical moment by-proxy," if you will. I was at the Center Stage Theatre concert in Atlantis last August, and the moment happened during Mirrorball. The lights dimmed. The sparkly mirrorball descended from somewhere mysterious on the ceiling. A spotlight made the ball send swirling white twinkles of glow everywhere. All this, while the music drifted in and around the theatre, like a key had wound the most perfect music box...and then there was Guy's voice. And I know the lyrics, word for word. Such poetry. My eyes caught sight of a couple, seemingly oblivious, yet I'm sure, inspired by their surroundings, arms around each others' waists, swaying to the music, gazing into each others' eyes. I felt a bit voyeuristic, but the room was dark (haha!), anyway, I witnessed what I am certain was their first kiss. How beautiful that was. I got tears in my eyes...

Please share your "magical Elbow song moment"...
Back to top Go down
http://lastfm.com/user/n0n0k0
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 13:35

The end of Newborn with the Halle.

'nuff said.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 15:01

Any day now, Bristol, Al knew it was coming i had no idea, it was like... Meeting an old friend you had no idea was invited to the party!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 15:18

Driving round Coryton roundabout/J 32 on the M4 and listening to SSK for about the third time. Up until then I'd enjoyed the album immensely, but I wouldn't have said I was an Elbow fan per se. Mirrorball was on and I suddenly 'got it' - it was like a dagger to the brain. I found it so beautiful and moving, it made me cry and I've been obsessed ever since.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 15:33

Picky Bugger at the acoustic show in Amsterdam on 26th May '09.
It's probably my favorite song off 'Leaders' and I knew they never play it live.
When those first couple of opening notes started my heart just stopped!
Absolutely awesome! Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Love0001
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 18:22

I loved the Leaders Album sooooooo much when i first got it.
I remember listening all the way through the first time, and by the time I got to the end I just couldn't believe how great it all sounded. Then Puncture Repair kicked in and I just absolutley loved the lyric - " I leaned on you today, I regularly hurt but never say" must have been an emotional time for me or something but it just connected me with the whole album, the totally amazing lyrics in all the songs and I played it to death.

Switching Off i think is one of the most beautiful songs. Every time I play that song it gets me.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 22:50

Jones wrote:
Picky Bugger at the acoustic show in Amsterdam on 26th May '09.
It's probably my favorite song off 'Leaders' and I knew they never play it live.
When those first couple of opening notes started my heart just stopped!
Absolutely awesome! Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Love0001

Cool Jones, thats like the feeling when they played 'Presuming Ed...Rest Easy' at the Royal Festival Hall in June of 2008, as they don't play that live either, not even with the Halle orchestra. The whole of that 'Meltdown' gig had a magical feel, not knowing what was going to come next- and then when Craig left the stage and appeared high up playing the huge organ in 'Newborn', was amazing.

Other magical song moments for me were 'George lassoes the Moon' at Shepherds Bush, London in 2004, 'I've got your number' in Liverpool in 2004 and hearing songs from 'cast of Thousands for the first time at the Scala in 2003 and hearing songs from 'LOTFW' for the first time in Blueprint Studios in may 2005. Now I'd better stop there. That's more than one!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 09:18

When Guy kissed my hand during "One day like this" in Cologne 2008... I love you

And when I heard "Any day now" the first time and knew that my internetfriend was right when he wrote, I should listen to Elbow... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 15:30

Without a shadow of doubt it was the first Halle night last July when they played Friend Of Ours.........it is impossible to describe how I felt, just that the surroundings, the orchestra, my favourite band and the lyrics all merged into a few minutes of magic. Had to hold back the tears.

Stunning.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:22

Back in 2006, driving around the back roads of Kent at 5am on a Sunday morning with a grumpy baby in tow listening to nothing but LOTFW. I think it was the third play of My Very Best that finally did it for me.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 15:42

First time I saw Elbow live, in 2008 at the Park West in Chicago. So many moments were magical for me that night, but the one that still gives me goosebumps when I think of it was when we all sang along to Grace Under Pressure. My absolute favorite line from that (or any other) song..."We still believe in love, so f**k you"...being sung by a crowd who loved Elbow's music as much as I did...let me tell ya folks, that moment was a loooong time coming for me and it felt fantastic. I'd been a very lonesome Elbow fan here in the States for years by that point, and it was just all kinds of gorgeous to be there sharing that line and that song with people who got it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silemary
newborn
newborn

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Aug 2011, 22:29

So many amazing Elbow moments, but probably most emotional one was hearing them play Weather to Fly (maybe my fifth time to see them live) 6 months after my dad died, very emotional..
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 14:02

The first time I watched Great Expectations in the Leaders of the Free World film.I'd never really heard the song before but had just read about Guy's relationship with Edith Bowman.When I played Great Expectations,my heart melted and my eyes were almost welling up with tears.The video was very simple but at the same time very beautiful.I later got to know that Great Expectations was not really about him and Edith Bowman,but to me it's always the most special and the most touching song by them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 15:43

jessieron wrote:
The first time I watched Great Expectations in the Leaders of the Free World film.I'd never really heard the song before but had just read about Guy's relationship with Edith Bowman.When I played Great Expectations,my heart melted and my eyes were almost welling up with tears.The video was very simple but at the same time very beautiful.I later got to know that Great Expectations was not really about him and Edith Bowman,but to me it's always the most special and the most touching song by them.

Welcome jessieron! Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Waving10 I agree with you about Great Expectations. It's my favorite Elbow song, and probably one of my top 3 songs by anyone ever. It's pure awesomeness. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 14:14

Thanks for the welcome Chrissie!
Sorry for going off-topic here but seeing your avatar,I'm curious as to who your fav Elbow member is...Craig?Also I noticed that the Craig appreciation thread was started by you....I must say I like Craig very much,too!!!He's my favourite member of the band. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 14:18

jessieron wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Chrissie!
Sorry for going off-topic here but seeing your avatar,I'm curious as to who your fav Elbow member is...Craig?Also I noticed that the Craig appreciation thread was started by you....I must say I like Craig very much,too!!!He's my favourite member of the band. Very Happy

Hey, if there's anyone worth going off-topic for, it's Craig! Very Happy Yes, he's my favorite Elboy, I just think he's amazing and getting a quick chance to meet him this past spring was a huge treat. Glad to see you have some love for The Craig as well - great minds think alike, obviously! Laughing
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 14:45

Craig is a genius...and thus creates many magical elbow song moments...

*struggles to stay on topic*
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSat 10 Sep 2011, 18:16

The minutes before the concert the first time I've seen them. Holy crap was I nervous. All those fanatic Take That fans... Forget them. :-)
You can ask the friend that went with me. She was like: "take a deeep breath". That never happened to me before or after this Elbow concert. Not even at the U2 concert. And then Guy shakes my hand. *Squeee* :-)

We'll see how I react when I see them the second time in November! Yay!!!!! :-D
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeFri 16 Sep 2011, 13:57

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Hey, if there's anyone worth going off-topic for, it's Craig! Very Happy Yes, he's my favorite Elboy, I just think he's amazing and getting a quick chance to meet him this past spring was a huge treat. Glad to see you have some love for The Craig as well - great minds think alike, obviously! Laughing
Have you listened to their b-sides?I only recently got around to listening to a few of their b-sides and was totally blown away.I simply can't describe how much I love those keyboard parts.Songs like None One and the acoustic version of About Time do show you what a genius Craig is.I've been listening to them on repeat for a week...I'm considering buying those singles off the internet now.The only headache I'm having right now is that most of the sellers that have Elbow CD singles for sale are in the UK and the shipping rates they offer are all so high.......The postage for one CD is higher than the CD itself........ Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 15:07

jessieron wrote:
Have you listened to their b-sides?I only recently got around to listening to a few of their b-sides and was totally blown away.I simply can't describe how much I love those keyboard parts.Songs like None One and the acoustic version of About Time do show you what a genius Craig is.I've been listening to them on repeat for a week...I'm considering buying those singles off the internet now.The only headache I'm having right now is that most of the sellers that have Elbow CD singles for sale are in the UK and the shipping rates they offer are all so high.......The postage for one CD is higher than the CD itself........ Crying or Very sad

I feel your pain; it's tough to get hold of some of the cooler stuff, if you're not in the UK. Definitely kinda frustrating! Mad

*back on topic*

I am expecting at least one or two magical Elbow moments at the Atlanta show. It'll be the first time Mr Chrissie's seen them live, and I know he has a couple of songs in particular he's really hoping to hear, so if those come around I'll be happy to see his reactions! And after he has enabled my Elbow habit for so long, and done so much to get me to their shows over the past few years, I will really appreciate having the chance to share this show with him. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LaurenJade
newborn
newborn
LaurenJade

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeSun 18 Dec 2011, 14:45

When sat in the car after being re-united with my dad.
Listening to newborn with my dad singing along at the top of his lungs banging his hands on the steering wheel, Beautiful moment.

There has been many more elbow song moments since because every time i listen to there music, its sends goose bumps all over ! I love you
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeMon 19 Dec 2011, 17:01

pretty much everytime i listen to newborn... after all these years its still like listening to it for the first time...

there's a set of traffic lights on the coast road in newcastle... whenever i pass by there i always without fail think back to hearing newborn on the mark & lard for the very first time all those years ago too... bliss
Back to top Go down
ManicsTheHedgehog
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Dec 2011, 18:30

The entirety of The Night Will Always Win.
Back to top Go down
Puncture Repair
fallen angel
fallen angel
Puncture Repair

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Jan 2012, 18:10

When I walk to work I often listen to an album on my iPod, often finish one from there and back.

On New Year's Eve I decided to listen to Asleep in the Back.

Recently our small town had a pretty massive extra couple of streets with clothes shops and cafes, plonked right in the middle. It's like having London in the middle of a small town, very strange. You can see the buildings from quite a way away. I was looking at them from a park that I use to walk to work and Red was playing.
The word's
"You burn too bright
You live too fast
This can't go on too long
You're a tragedy starting to happen"
Suddenly meant something different to me, it wasn't about a person, maybe it was about we as humans.
Maybe we should just slow down and appreciate what we have, rather than building on what we have so much, soon to maybe even destroy the world.
It was a pretty magical moment, filled me with a sense of "I should make the most of this".

Anyway, I had a pretty awful day at work, won't go into why.
I had a headache the whole time, and could have gone to bed at anytime.

As I walked from home, I was nearly home, maybe half a mile away, Newborn came on.
I turned it up, but I forgot how much it amplifies at the end. It epic bit where Guy starts screaming "YEAH YEAH YEAH!" began, and I suddenly gained this rush of energy, and just started walking like a mad man. It was like walking on air, I couldn't feel my legs they were so tired, but suddenly I could almost run. I covered
Then Rest Easy came on (only just realised the irony of the name) and I lost all the energy again and crashed at home.
I told my brother about what had happened and he wouldn't stop laughing.

Went to bed and woke up to 2012. Still makes me laugh when I think about how epic it felt, great way to end 2011.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jan 2012, 16:45

@Puncture Repair - Loved reading your New Year's Eve story...I get what you're expressing very clearly. I've had so many of those types of situations happen to me, not just with Elbow's music, but with music from a few other bands as well. I'm in the middle of some mundane activity or other, and a song happens to come around, and it's as if everything changes. Elbow, in particular, really does do that for me on a regular basis. Cool to hear about your experience w/ Asleep in the Back. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?   Your Magical Elbow Song Moment? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Magical Elbow Song Moment?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next