elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?

Go down 
+33
Open arms
alanguy
Blind Io
Vinegartom
OllieCT
JessieAddick
KoRoBeNiKi
silemary
elbowismymuse
leespoons
The Final Track
ukkonen
Hunta
Lynne
ticky
TamedLamia
Glendarian
rascalphoto
Jools
My Bury Vest
run-lola-run
Leo
ChrissieInFL
nikkijaydee
nellie
Dabamash
josephblack
bluejayway
WOBLEwoble
fadeupyoursmile
Jones
Grant
Tailfly
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

Female Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-05-01

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Empty
PostSubject: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 16:14

Personally, I would use The Stops... its always been my favourite and I think Guy sounds amazing in the chorus.
What about you? Question
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 17:34

I think it depends on who the person is... for most people, grounds for divorce, one day like this, or leaders of the free world
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 17:50

Mmm. I think probably 'Mirrorball'
Who wouldn't melt?
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 17:52

Good point, whenever I hear Mirrorball I have to stop what i'm doing and just.. listen. It would make anybody love elbow.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 18:20

Grace under pressure.
But that's just because i am in love with it!
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 23:31

Mirrorball - every time

young or old

male or female
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 11:12

Well I can't really remember how it came about but my best mate listened to GFD and loved it. She then saw Bones of You on tv and liked that too, but doesn't want to listen to any other songs Mad

I just played TSSK to my Dad and he fell in love with it, now he has all the albums, TSSK being his fave.

I played my Grandad One Day Like This and then Audience with the Pope, he like it, bought the album, and didn't really go much on it Shocked
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 14:30

I just played TSSK to my Dad and he fell in love with it, now he has all the albums, TSSK being his fave.

I played my Grandad One Day Like This and then Audience with the Pope, he like it, bought the album, and didn't really go much on it Shocked[/quote]

Cool genes...
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 16:13

My Very Best. I just love the start.
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 18:25

Newborn, just love this song. I love you
Back to top Go down
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 20:34

Station Approach beacuse it's my favourite and THEY WILL LIKE IT (lol) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 21:36

josephblack wrote:
Cool genes...

Yeah, music wise both sides have good taste (bar my mum lol) Sucked that my Grandad didn't like them in the end as much as I wanted him to.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 21:43

I would never play a song that the lyricist described as "the conflict between Catholicism and sex" OR "The most blasphemous song i have ever written" to me Grandda!

Why Grace....?!
It has kick ass beats, great lyrics, it does the quiet to LOUD thing elbow do so well, it has wit, meaning and 2000 people swearing, what's not to love!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeTue 05 May 2009, 04:32

Just converted both my friend and her husband to Elbow-ism, and The Bones Of You is the one that opened up the floodgates for them.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeTue 05 May 2009, 19:57

I used Coming Second to introduce my mate to Elbow.
Now a big fan Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeTue 05 May 2009, 19:57

Sarah wrote:
I would never play a song that the lyricist described as "the conflict between Catholicism and sex" OR "The most blasphemous song i have ever written" to me Grandda!

Why Grace....?!
It has kick ass beats, great lyrics, it does the quiet to LOUD thing elbow do so well, it has wit, meaning and 2000 people swearing, what's not to love!

youre so right about grace
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
run-lola-run
fallen angel
fallen angel
run-lola-run

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 16:10

I'd probably use "One Day Like This" as the strings are amazing, and the way it builds is like nothing else =]
Back to top Go down
http://www.run-lola-run.deviantart.com
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 16:15

Great choice! And welcome to the forum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
run-lola-run
fallen angel
fallen angel
run-lola-run

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 16:20

Thanks for the welcome Tailfly! And I did use Grounds for Divorce to introduce my best friend to them, as it was the only song I had on me at the time hehe
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 16:31

It's funny actually, I tried to convert my friend to Elbow but the only song she took a liking to was An Audience With The Pope. Out of all the songs from all 4 albums I would not have chosen that one as my favourite. Ah well, each to their own Smile.
Back to top Go down
run-lola-run
fallen angel
fallen angel
run-lola-run

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 17:00

"Audience" is one of my favourites, I just love the hook... "if she says she needs me... everything is gonna have to wait".

My best friend fell in love with One Day Like This, but decided the rest were a bit "moody" for her hehe...

But, hey... you're right. Such is life.. life is such haha
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 07:52

I introduced my folks to elbow via One Day Like This and they loved it, they then asked for the Abbey Rd DVD and also liked The Fix and Audience With The Pope.

I think my Mum's starting to get a thing for Guy, I told her to get in the queue and I'm a heterosexual young - ish Mancunian lad !!!
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 21:54

My Bury Vest wrote:
I introduced my folks to elbow via One Day Like This and they loved it, they then asked for the Abbey Rd DVD and also liked The Fix and Audience With The Pope.

I think my Mum's starting to get a thing for Guy, I told her to get in the queue and I'm a heterosexual young - ish Mancunian lad !!!

Everyone loves Guy, you cant help it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jools
newborn
newborn

Female Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 13:10

My 11 year old daughter and her mates all love GFD as does my 8 year old son-he's even got it for his ringtone! For me, Bones of You has it all and I think it's a great intro to Elbow, not slow and melancholy like Tower Crane Driver or Switching Off - although these are my personal faves but full of life and passion and it's great for singing along to in the car!
Back to top Go down
rascalphoto
fallen angel
fallen angel
rascalphoto

Female Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2009, 21:58

I agree with Chrissie..."Bones of You" blew me away. In fact, I just sent it off to someone to introduce them to Elbow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spectrum-photo.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?   What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What song would you use to introduce someone to Elbow?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next