elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Snow Patrol

Go down 
+20
nellie
WOBLEwoble
Dobz
hilaryg
Mr_K
My Bury Vest
TamedLamia
Leo
ChrissyBoy
butterfingersbimbo
leespoons
fadeupyoursmile
Jonny
Calum
Dabamash
Jones
Hotblack
Skeletor
ChrissieInFL
josephblack
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Snow Patrol - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Nov 2008, 19:45

First two albums - Loud angry and funny
Third album - Good in places
Forth album - Basically meh
Fifth album - cannot even be arsed
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Nov 2008, 20:28

Sarah wrote:
First two albums - Loud angry and funny
Third album - Good in places
Forth album - Basically meh
Fifth album - cannot even be arsed

Sarah, I could not agree more without becoming slightly mental Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Nov 2008, 06:13

The big single from them has grown on me quite a bit, think I'll get hold of it.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Mar 2009, 12:04

Chocolate, Spitting Games and especially Run are great songs. Final Straw is a decent LP but everything since then bores the pants off me. For people to compare them to Elbow is a complete insult to Garvey and co. Mad
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Mar 2009, 12:55

I heard an acoustic version of Run (a song I like anyway) on radio 1 the other day and i have to say Gary Lightbody sung beautifully. Enjoyed the performace tremendously, but haven't liked anything from them since Final Straw, sadly.
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Mar 2009, 20:30

ChrissieInFL wrote:
I quite enjoy them as well. Would have liked to have seen that live double bill, though I have to say, I think it should've been the other way around, with Elbow headlining. Just sayin'... Smile
I was there, and it was a bust. Not helped my my usual 90 minute journey taking 3 and three quarter hours. Friday in December on the M62, yuk. So was late, stuck way back, venue magnificent but soul-less. Crowd was the "1-gig a year, I'll look up from my text/stop talking to my mate when I know a song" variety. It appeared no-one had heard of elbow apart from me and the students next to me, and the odd pocket of other fans scattered around. We earned a couple of nods from Guy for singing and dancing loudly. Smile

Thought that the atmosphere would improve when Snow Patrol came on, but the crowd were similarly silent and still. Took a good hour for them to get warmed up, when they played the song that was current in the chart at the time. I think I was the only one in the whole audience that knew Starfighter Pilot.

Very disappointing - I'd seen Snow Patrol do a couple of smaller concerts previously including a stonking charity gig at Rock City in Nottingham that summer and I'd gone expecting similar (helped that Elbow were announced as support after I got the ticket!). However, I've not seen them since. They've got too... corporate for want of a better word. They don't raise any emotion in me other than apathy and I didn't even get their latest album.

Very disappointing really. They've sort of lost their character and become an Irish Coldplay.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Mar 2009, 20:58

Amen.
My relationship with the band can be summed up thous - I watched a guy kiss his mrs at a gig in Glasgow and film chasing Cars over her head. At that point, i was done!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2009, 22:55

Ok. Well, I still like them.
Or rather, I still believe in them and that they will one day return to form.
I just saw them live recently and going to see them again fairly soon and believe it or not, I find that some of the new songs work far better live than on the album.
That's what's making me hang in there...
Back to top Go down
Dobz
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 22:30

Hilaryg - I was at that gig at the G-Mex. Fortunately we were nearer to the front than the back. It was the first time I had seen them live. I loved it, so did my daughter and her boyfriend who wasn't a fan of theirs until that gig. The majority of the people around us were also loving it. I have seen them at the festivals in 2007 and on 6th March this year at Liverpool and loved every gig but the first time at G-Mex will always remain the best one for me. Maybe it's because it was the first time I saw them having been a fan of theirs for a long time before then.

But - more importantly, it was at that gig that I first heard Elbow Very Happy

Jones - Agree with you absolutely - I'm hanging there with you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 09:07

Me too Jones.
Saw them in Birmingham recently (between Blackpool & Wembley Elbow gigs).

Apart from a few technical problems, they were great.
I like the new stuff-in parts it's a bit like The Reindeer Section (Gary Lightbody side project)
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 12:57

I love the Reindeer Section, but just don't like the newer bigger, built to be an anthem stuff.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 23:04

My enthusiasm dipped but came back with latest album - which is brilliant. Saw them few weeks ago in Manchester with White Lies supporting and the gig was one to be remembered. Not up to ELBOW gigs but Gary is fantastic with audience and his voice hasn't lost any of its appeal.
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 07:48

D'accord
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 18:06

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! was this the gig on 14.12.2006 at Gmex? I went to that but got there late and didn't see the support. I never knew I had just missed Elbow Crying or Very sad I probably only had C.O.T at that time and didn't really get into them till a few months later. f**k, f**k,F**kity F**K (and I dont swear!) Mad
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 19:34

Easy Nellie!
Yes it was and I was absolutely blown away; I remember them playing 'Station Approach', 'Macgreggor' and 'Newborn'. Next day I bought 'Leaders' from a shop in Manchester and the rest is history...
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 19:56

Right-I'm off for a little cry now Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 21:57

This sounds interesting and i'm oddly tempted, if only by the promise of Reindeer Section...

http://zaphod.uk.vvhp.net/consumer/viewemailcontent.pl?con=8027415&cmp=3540&act=103838&sec=33cfd23bf22f
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 23 Aug 2009, 22:36

Well done to Gary for cover for Oasis at V.

+ big thanks for extended slot from Guy.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 23 Aug 2009, 22:42

Quote :
From the Interview…

We’re bringing an album out at the end of the year, probably October time, a new single and a new album, a kind of compendium of the last 15 years. [...]

You can’t really call it a greatest hits because we only had two of those, it’s just a look at the back catalogue that people might have missed. We’ve had two Snow Patrol albums that hardly didn’t sale anything, two Reindeer Section albums that people might not have heard before [...]

We’re sort of gathering it all together and putting it into one album that people can sort of have a wee look at [...] the last fifteen years of our lives and we can draw a line under it. With a couple of new songs and then we start fresh next year. Putting it all together as a kind of reported history of it and then doing a tour around it in the UK and we called it the Reworked Tour because it’s literally what it is, we’re gonna rework the songs with [...] crazy instruments, [...] and let people hear some songs live they might never have heard before.The single that’s gonna be coming out is called ‘Just say yes’ and its gonna take people by suprise that’s for sure.

I think the "new" song is this one -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POKuoHkjL9k

I really applaud them for trying to interest new fans in older stuff and not filing it away under "what is passed". It's going to be interesting to see what they put on it!
Olive Grove is a shoe-in! Ab Grav? Ask me how i am? Balsamic Vinegar?!
I'm also interested about how they've sorted out any rights issues with Mark McClelend
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 16:55

Like most people my first exposure to Snow Patrol was "Run", and I got their album "Final Straw" on the strength of it. Pretty soon it was my least favourite track, so I was delighted they had two older albums of pleasingly twitchy indie, even if they were a little patchy.

Having said that, their latest two albums are arguably more up-and-down to me that the older ones, since despite being much better produced, they swerve ever more toward the stadium-anthem-rock approach than their (in my opinion) more interesting earlier work. In particular are the execrable Run-a-likes they've written since; I don't listen to the radio much, but I still knew that that's where "Chasing Cars" and "Crack The Shutters" would be headed.

Despite that kind of write-up, I own 5 albums by this band and some of their tunes are big favourites of mine. I guess I should be pleased they still produce what I find to be excellent tunes (Lifeboats, If There's A Rocket..., The Lighting Strike) rather than focussing on the more mediocre (and not my kind of mediocre!) they nestle among. And it was good to hear Lightbody talking about Garv as a lyrical gold standard in January Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009, 19:36

Heard my first Snow Patrol record today. It's their third(?) "Final Straw" and I am quite surprised how fast they are. There are ca. 2-3 "typical slowmotion stompers" that I call "nodding dog songs" (under 100 beats per minit) but mostly the Snowies are quite rocking. Are they still? I remember that the tracks I heard in the radio from their new record are quite fast and temperamental.

But I must say I like "Final Straw" especially the "rough nodding doggie" "Ways and means" Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009, 19:56

They're not really like that anymore, i think you chose the best place to start! For rockier stuff work backwards, for slower stuff, work forwards!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009, 20:01

For I know that the "slow" tracks not always have to be soft I wonder which direction is more...umm...rough... Wink
But you wrote "rockier" is earlier so I might check their earlier stuff though I have a fable for slow motion rock (nodding doggies who bite... Wink )
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009, 20:25

With Snow Patrol, slower tends to mean softer! If its rough you're after I'd suggest the first album, Songs for Polar Bears!
Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 20 Nov 2009, 13:58

Only really know their two famous numbers but I thought they were great on the Children In Need Concert.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow Patrol   Snow Patrol - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow Patrol
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next