elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coldplay

Go down 
+30
iamkloot
NeonChoir
Lynne
victoryrose
HattyMarris
My Bury Vest
LongLegs
allyngibson
elbowismymuse
AyannaD
Dano
The Final Track
TamedLamia
Stockhaus
Jones
evilpixie
Jonny
Leo
mrswoman
Skeletor
fadeupyoursmile
Calum
butterfingersbimbo
leespoons
MagicalTrevor
Topaz
Ted
Misspelt Yoof
Dabamash
ChrissyBoy
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 13:11

Coldplay were good on Jools's last night, I think. Well done, boys, says I. I still haven't got the new album. o_O
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 13:15

i'll save it till friday.

i think martin is a great vocalist and frontman, but the rest of the band seem to lack a little charisma - compared to Turner and the Potters anyway!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 17:09

leo wrote:
i just melt with *undescribable* every time I hear The Scientist

coldplay are OK lke...

but whats all this on wiipedia about them totally ripping of grace under pressure with - fix you??

That's what I'd read, too. I'm not familiar with Grace Under Pressure (my Elbow journey is only just beginning Very Happy ) but I guess the entries on Wikipedia are only as good as the people who write them.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 18:47

KingSwinger wrote:
That's what I'd read, too. I'm not familiar with Grace Under Pressure (my Elbow journey is only just beginning Very Happy ) but I guess the entries on Wikipedia are only as good as the people who write them.

trust me. listen to grace under pressure. its fantastic.

im so glad youve made the right choice of becoming a fellow elbow fan aswell. it will be a good journey.

i think its because its quite a similar song - in that its got the repetative quieter bit, and then the chior/sing a long bit.

dunno though
Back to top Go down

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 19:40

Oh, so it's not necessarily a direct rip then? Good, my love for Fix You was beginning to fade. What album is Grace Under Pressure on?
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 19:53

Cast of Thousands....
another great album, (as all four are)
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 19:56

The songs are nothing alike, but perhaps the melody was a source of influence for them.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 20:59

I can't hear anything from "Grace Under Pressure" in "Fix You" at all - they're both in a major key, but beyond that there's no similarity to my ears.

I love Wikipedia but it really is becoming the modern-day "bloke down the pub told me, must be true". I was actually going to edit that bit out rather than sitting here moaning about Wikipedia again, but if it gets a load of Plodclay fans listening to Elbow, then job's a good 'un Smile

If you remember though, "Speed of Sound" was just "Clocks" transposed up (or down) five (or seven) semitones - so if Coldplay are ripping anyone off, it's themselves Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 08 Oct 2008, 21:12

lee spoons wrote:
I can't hear anything from "Grace Under Pressure" in "Fix You" at all - they're both in a major key, but beyond that there's no similarity to my ears.

I love Wikipedia but it really is becoming the modern-day "bloke down the pub told me, must be true". I was actually going to edit that bit out rather than sitting here moaning about Wikipedia again, but if it gets a load of Plodclay fans listening to Elbow, then job's a good 'un Smile

If you remember though, "Speed of Sound" was just "Clocks" transposed up (or down) five (or seven) semitones - so if Coldplay are ripping anyone off, it's themselves Very Happy

Lee. That was the most entertaining post ive ever read.

There are similarities between the two songs. Im similar to you Lee - as we both have heads.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Oct 2008, 12:32

The way I heard it from the man down the pub (ok it was probably an article in Q Smile ) was that Fix You was 'inspired' by the organ part from Grace Under Pressure and not Megalomania by Muse. Talk on the other hand was a total rip-off of Computer Love by Kraftwerk but at least they put them on the credits.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Oct 2008, 23:13

Talking of rip-offs, and fearing the wrath of Dabs by going OT for a minute... I *ahem* acquired some instrumental versions of some contemporary hits recently, and noticed that "Turn It Up" by The Feeling contains a very quiet sample of "Da Da Da" by Trio during what would be the "don't say anything" bits, but you wouldn't notice on the original version, because of the vocals.

Sorry, rambling again. Ban me now.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Dec 2008, 10:56

I know it's been a while since anyone's posted on this thread but I have just been to 4 Coldplay gigs just before Christmas and I have to say that I am totally back in the fold!
I bought the tickets shortly after the new album came out (haven't missed a Coldplay tour in 8 years) but genuinely wondered if it was the right thing to do. Like so many other people I was quite disappointed in 'Viva' after listening to it first and have to admit that I then put it away...
So, last week, although I was looking forward to the gig (well, I do love going to gigs), I wasn't really expecting to enjoy the new stuff too much.
I was wrong.
The new stuff really, really works in a big setting. I assume this wasn't intentional, but what sounded too busy, complicated and over-produced in my little car or kitchen works wonderfully well on the big stage. I was very impressed with it!
The other 3 gigs were equally as good but my fav were the Dublin ones where they did Fairytale of New York acoustically in the crowd. Definitely a touch of Christmas-magic about it! santa
For all of you who hated the new album: give it a chance. I finally have and it's beginning to grow on me.
It happens you know. If I hadn't given Cast of Thousands that second chance, then the best band in the world ever would have passed my by!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Dec 2008, 22:51

I went to see them in October when they played in stockholm,
I have to say I was not that impressed actually
maybe it was because of the annoying girls at the barrier, the fact that my knees was hurting, Im not impressed at all by the new album and other things playing a part, but nah, it did not impress me as much as I thought it would do.
When they played Fix You it was pretty impressive though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EcxUH8clE I recorded it, sounds pretty ace actually.

But yeah, might have to give them another chance because i was not to impressed
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Dec 2008, 03:08

I listened to Viva La Vida (etc!) for the first time the other week (I'm always a bit behind, it seems). Anyhoo, I was pretty impressed. A vast imrpovement on X&Y to my tastes, and Eno's presence is unmistakable, and therefore joyous! Coldplay are in my good books. Smile
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 31 Dec 2008, 21:45

I've taken to calling them 'Plodclay'. Suits them, somehow.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 01 Jan 2009, 18:57

Yes Lee, 'Plodclay' is a great name for them

I'm loving Lovers in Japan, and 42 at the moment.

Still cant beat 'parachutes' - the album, though. They never will. Its their best album and always will be. It just sounded fresher and more special; somehow.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Jan 2009, 17:14

I saw their BBC-Gig on TV on New Year's Eve. I really like them. And I liked how the drummer played on the titletrack with those kettledrums and the bell Very Happy It looked funny somehow clown
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 08 Jan 2009, 18:27

I didn't buy the album earlier this year, but got a copy for Xmas.
I think it's quite good, certainly better than some suggest, but I agree it sits between some of the earlier records. I think the first single is probably one i like the least, and that's maybe why i din't buy it at the time.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Sep 2009, 12:07

A few pics of the lads supporting Elbow in Dublin earlier this month.
Coldplay - Page 2 100_0425

Coldplay - Page 2 100_0423

Coldplay - Page 2 100_0424

Coldplay - Page 2 100_0426

Coldplay - Page 2 100_0427

Ok, so they're obviously not as great as Elbow! However, they sure know how to put on a terriffic show. It was a blast! bom
Back to top Go down

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Sep 2009, 19:20

What's with the silly uniforms they insist on wearing? And Chris with his little messages on the back of his hands? What's that all about, then? They did look a little foolish, the four of them, when they showed up at The Brits, in their special La Vida uniforms, like newly pressed kids on their first day at school...only to win nothing at all!

Nice music, though. I've got the four albums and they're very easy on the ear when you're in the car. Martin's lyrics are so much meaningless tosh, though, and suffer a lot when compared with Garvey's lyrics, which are sheer bloody poetry.
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan 2010, 19:40

With pardons to Elbow, Coldplay are the best rock band on this planet at the moment. I have everything (and I mean everything minus a few gigs they have ever played, and don't dislike a single song...except maybe Only Superstition but that's pardoned. They're the best live act in music right now, the Viva La Vida Tour was bloody amazing with such bands as Elbow as opening acts (thank God for that) and the energy, man, is wonderful.
The lyrics aren't bad but they're not as good as Guy's, that remains to be said, and the voices are diffrent but I don't favor one over the other.
But there so no Elbow song that throws itself at number one, like Coldplay have with Viva La Vida. I think their next album will include that song, and this forum will be a lot denser.

The musical life is in technicolor Cool
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan 2010, 20:48

I liked parachutes and Rush of blood but by X+Y i found them distinctly "meh" but now they actively annoy me.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010, 10:35

The Final Track wrote:
But there so no Elbow song that throws itself at number one, like Coldplay have with Viva La Vida.

I really like Coldplay, maybe they are the the diamond in the mainstream dust but one of the reasons why I love Elbow is, that they DON'T write "number one" music. Wink
But if they ever do I hope it will be a better one than "one day like this" because they don't need any Beatlesquotes to write good songs Suspect
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Feb 2010, 14:05

Well, at least one song that stands out.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Feb 2010, 19:07

and unfortunately the song I like least Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coldplay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coldplay
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next