elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums

Go down 
+5
Misspelt Yoof
HattyMarris
MagicalTrevor
NeonChoir
The DaddyO 44
9 posters
AuthorMessage
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Empty
PostSubject: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 20:38

Interested to hear of any bands' first two albums you feel saw them go from average to outstanding, ordinary to extraordinary, Quickiemart to Harrods, Smartcar to Bugatti Veyron......etc etc etc......

Two that immeadiately spring to mind are Sigur Ros's Von and Agaetis Byrjun, and Radiohead's Pablo Honey and The Bends. Mind you atleast Radiohead's Pablo was 'average', whereas Sigur's Von was just plain dreadful Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 20:52

Actually, a lot of Radiohead fans don't count it as an album because they think it's that bad.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 06:48

Definitely Genesis, From Genesis To Revelation is just painful...Trespass is a massive improvement,

Blur's 1st album wasn't particularly good. Mind you, the second wasn't either Smile

Prob say the same for Travis as well
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 08:22

I think that Foals 2nd album was far far better than their first.

I did like Antidotes but i really wasn't expecting Total Life Forever to be anything like it was, I think its a fantastic album Smile
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 09:26

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Prob say the same for Travis as well
Comercially, The Man Who went stratospheric. I think Good Feeling is a far superior album though.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 14:12

First one that came to mind was Beastie Boys. Licensed To Ill was a good, solid piece of work for a first go-round, but Paul's Boutique was massive. It's one of those albums that even the casual hip-hop/rap fan (like myself) can listen to and say, "Wow, that's amazing!" You can really hear how much deeper they went into the construction and production of the tracks on that one.

I'd also suggest Wilco's second album, Being There. On their first LP, A.M., they were still pretty straight-up alt-country. But on Being There, they began making changes which set them apart from a lot of other alternative music of the time, and it set the course for the more experimental and improvisational style they'd end up mastering later on in their career.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 16:12

Primal Scream - Screamadelica - OK it's their third album but light years away from the first two. Although a lot of that was down to Andy Weatherall's production.

Totally agree with Chrissie re. Paul's Boutique, again part of that could be down to the Dust Brothers production

NeonChoir wrote:
Actually, a lot of Radiohead fans don't count it as an album because they think it's that bad.

I expect that's because they heard it after The Bends and OK Computer... it's hardly classic Radiohead but it's not a bad album, in fact I prefer it to Kid A!

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Blur's 1st album wasn't particularly good. Mind you, the second wasn't either Smile

Heretic! Modern Life is brilliant - in fact I'd go so far as to say their best album. Even Leisure isn't half bad (well, "Bang" is a bit cheesy).
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 16:58

Lee Spoons wrote:

NeonChoir wrote:

I expect that's because they heard it after The Bends and OK Computer... it's hardly classic Radiohead but it's not a bad album, in fact I prefer it to Kid A!

No, I wouldn't say it's awful. It has songs like "Anyone Can Play Guitar" and "Vegetable." (which is my fave off that album <3) I will say that it's subpar compared to the rest of their discography. Granted, this was their first one, so that would make sense.

Speaking of which, let me get back on topic. I'mma talk Muse for a second.

"Origin of Symmetry" is bounds better than "Showbiz." The band were 20/21 when "Showbiz" was released, and it sounds obvious when you listen to it. Is it good? Yeah. However, it's unrefined. They did a much better job of that in "Origin of Symmetry." It sounds much more cohesive.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 17:26

HattyMarris wrote:

I did like Antidotes but i really wasn't expecting Total Life Forever to be anything like it was, I think its a fantastic album Smile

Absolutely great choice Hatty - Antidotes left me cold but TLF was everything that the debut wasn't.
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 17:33

My Bury Vest wrote:
HattyMarris wrote:

Absolutely great choice Hatty - Antidotes left me cold but TLF was everything that the debut wasn't.

Yeah Antidotes was good but sounded very immature. Total Life Forever showed how much they've matured since then
Back to top Go down
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 20:55

I'm risking a backlash here, but how about Supergrass ? ? ? ! !
Now to be fair their 1st album "I Should CoCo" is by no means a 'stinker' or anything like that, but "In It For The Money" which followed is, for me atleast, their best work. So many great hooks, riffs, songs - this time around far more focused.
'Richard III' prob my fave Supergrass single ever, and 'It's Not Me' may well be their prettiest song Smile

(Incidentally 3 people I know thought 'Going Out' had been by Oasis!!!??@#/\*)
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 21:15

So much of a difference between Del Amitri's first self titled album and the classic Waking Hours that many people think that Justin Currie only joined the band after the first album, as they don't believe it's him singing.

Compare and contrast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yFoFdauMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWAE76PmMY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums   Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Huge Leaps Between a Band's First 2 Albums
Page 1 of 1