elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?

Go down 
+20
CrisalidaBoy
The Final Track
Ted
ChrissyBoy
HattyMarris
Dano
Mr_K
ukkonen
ticky
My Bury Vest
Hotblack
sparky
leespoons
LongLegs
oneofthethree
lucky with disease
ElbowFreak
ChrissieInFL
Misspelt Yoof
n0n0k0
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
n0n0k0
fallen angel
fallen angel
n0n0k0

Female Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Empty
PostSubject: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 12:01

Thoughts?

While I haven't heard it for myself yet, I'm hearing praise for The National - High Violet.
Back to top Go down
http://lastfm.com/user/n0n0k0
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 12:49

n0n0k0 wrote:
Thoughts?

While I haven't heard it for myself yet, I'm hearing praise for The National - High Violet.
Frightened Rabbit, Beach House, Avi Buffalo, Villagers, David Ford, Gil Scot-Heron, Darwin Deez, Vampire Weekend...

Lots of brilliant stuff already out this year.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 13:26

Agree w/ Misspelt Yoof - lots of really solid sounds already, and we're only halfway through the year! I haven't heard the whole of the new National LP either, n0n0k0, but I have heard a few tracks and they're all good so far. I loved the last LP so I am sure I'll eventually pick up the new one as well. So far though, the album I've played the most this year has been Odd Blood by Yeasayer. It's just a fun, engaging buncha tunes and I haven't become bored with it yet. However, I am LOVING the new LCD Soundsystem and by the end of the summer, it may be a real contender for most-played album in my collection. This year has also had a great one from Vampire Weekend (as MY noted) and the solo album from Jónsi, which I also enjoy a lot. And the year's not over - I am really looking forward to new stuff by a lot of artists I love (Arcade Fire, Eels, Antony & the Johnsons, Crowded House, Panda Bear, Beastie Boys, Cee-Lo Green). This is a good year for music, no doubt! cheers
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 18:19

Vampire Weekend, Jamie Cullum, The Drums.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 23:11

Turin Brakes - Outbursts
Beach House - Teen Dream
John Grant - Queen of Denmark
Massive Attack - Heligoland
Iam Kloot - Sky at Night
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 07:55

James - The Night Before
I am Kloot - Sky at Night
The mIserable rich - Of Flight and Fury
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:11

I am Kloot - Sky at Night
The Miserable rich - Of Flight and Fury
Beach House - Teen Dream
John Grant - Queen of Denmark
Avi Buffalo
The Magic Numbers - The Runaway
Just wait until you hear the New Duke and the King album
The National
Ed Harcourt
The Boy who trapped the Sun
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:16

Yeasayer - Odd Blood (for which I have Chrissie to thank - still my favourite album of the year!)
Foals - Total Life Forever
Beach House - Teen Dream
Errors - Come Down With Me
Delphic - Acolyte

Also enjoyed Four Tet, The Dead Weather, Besnard Lakes and need to give LCD Soundsystem and Vampire Weekend another few listens. The National's album is on my spotify playlist but haven't investigated yet for some reason.
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 15:27

In no particular order:

Laura Marling - I speak Because I Can
The Acorn - No Ghost
The Besnard Lakes - Are The Roaring Night
Jonny Kearney & Lucy Farrell - The North Farm Sessions
The National - High Violet

Where is everyone hearing "Sky At Night"? I've got it on pre order for next month. Am I missing something (or being thick)?
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 17:39

Lee Spoons wrote:

Delphic - Acolyte

Yep, I own that one too.... Had tickets for the concert but was sick that day. :S
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 18:51

sparky wrote:

Where is everyone hearing "Sky At Night"? I've got it on pre order for next month. Am I missing something (or being thick)?

According to Longlegs (in the I Am Kloot thread) there's promo copies sloshing around London and apparently on the Action Records website (although I can only see pre-orders there).

I'll wait for my official copy so the lads get the money.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 08:47

Hotblack wrote:
sparky wrote:

According to Longlegs (in the I Am Kloot thread) there's promo copies sloshing around London and apparently on the Action Records website (although I can only see pre-orders there).

I'll wait for my official copy so the lads get the money.

I have preordered mine on CD and vinyl too. Go to Townsend you get a free print, signed by the band:
http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/artist.php?artist=I+Am+Kloot
There is no way I'd just buy a promo, they're my favourite band and I can't wait for tonight! sunny
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 14:49

LongLegs wrote:
I have preordered mine on CD and vinyl too. Go to Townsend you get a free print, signed by the band:
There is no way I'd just buy a promo, they're my favourite band and I can't wait for tonight! sunny

Oops!! Didn't mean to to imply that you hadn't ordered official stuff too. Sorry if it came across that way. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 15:04

Hotblack wrote:
LongLegs wrote:

Oops!! Didn't mean to to imply that you hadn't ordered official stuff too. Sorry if it came across that way. Embarassed

Ah no not at all, I just want everyone to get a free print Wink
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 08:39

Just bought Teen Dream by Beach House and it's so beautful, absolutely transports me to sunnier climbs.

Bought tickets for their Manchester Cathedral gig in November on the strength of it.

Best album of 2010 for me, am spellbound by it. sunny
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeFri 09 Jul 2010, 11:36

The Climbers - The Good Ship. LOVE IT.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 09:34

Saw Tunng at Hop Farm and now their latest album is one of my favourites of 2010, also saw Steve Mason at Latitude and his 2010 album one of the best too.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 10:59

lucky with disease wrote:
Saw Tunng at Hop Farm and now their latest album is one of my favourites of 2010, also saw Steve Mason at Latitude and his 2010 album one of the best too.

Tunng are just wonderful - I saw them with Besnard Lakes a few months ago. I agree about their (Tunng) new album - must put it on again...
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeMon 19 Jul 2010, 11:31

Smile Aren't they? v good live. Had the CD on in the car all the way there and back at the weekend.
(Listening to The Climbers on spotify right now, thanks to your mention ticky)
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jul 2010, 20:12

Some of my favorites:

Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
John Grant - Queen of Denmark (Must-have if you've ever listened to the Czars or Midlake, the man has a great voice)
Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit
Erland and the Carnival - S/T
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
The Black Keys - Brothers
BLK JKS - Zol!
Jamie Lidell - Compass

The first four are the must-haves, really. I'm going to have to check out some of the albums mentioned here.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jul 2010, 08:40

ukkonen wrote:
I definitely agree with this one.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jul 2010, 11:09

ukkonen wrote:
I had not heard of Janelle Monáe, but I've had a look on t'interweb and I'm intrigued. I'm now spotifying the album. Initial impression - Andre 3000's much smarter, even more idiosyncratic sister? And boy, can she sing! I'm really enjoying this - thanks ukkonen.

Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jul 2010, 11:44

Ignoring the hype, I've a copy of The Coral's 'Butterfly House' and it really is very good.

Shades of Last Shadow Puppets/Walker Brothers - the vocals of James Skelly are spotless - the sound, summery and wistful.

Think this could run Beach House's 'Teen Dream' close...........bizarre to read that they are about to embark upon a tour of Europe, where they've never toured !
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jul 2010, 12:14

My Bury Vest wrote:
Ignoring the hype, I've a copy of The Coral's 'Butterfly House' and it really is very good.

Shades of Last Shadow Puppets/Walker Brothers - the vocals of James Skelly are spotless - the sound, summery and wistful.

Think this could run Beach House's 'Teen Dream' close...........bizarre to read that they are about to embark upon a tour of Europe, where they've never toured !

Yup, got that today and I like a lot. Some of the melodies remind me of Simon & Garfunkel (a real compliment) - I can't remember which tracks since I've only listened to it a couple of times, but there is a classic timeless quality to this record. A bit like Teenage Fanclub, The Coral seem to have recovered their mojo. This is the better album though, I think.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jul 2010, 14:14

Mr_K wrote:
ukkonen wrote:
I had not heard of Janelle Monáe, but I've had a look on t'interweb and I'm intrigued. I'm now spotifying the album. Initial impression - Andre 3000's much smarter, even more idiosyncratic sister? And boy, can she sing! I'm really enjoying this - thanks ukkonen.
Big Boi features on the Janelle Monáe album. His album new album is also well worth Spotify-ing while you're at it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?   Best Albums of 2010 (so far)? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Albums of 2010 (so far)?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next