elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen

Go down 
+3
Mr_K
My Bury Vest
ChrissyBoy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Empty
PostSubject: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 18:46

obviously all the elbow ones - i've never seen

but i'm meaning more kind of gigs that could be classed as iconic, maybe not til years later.
you know, were probably just of 'the time' but turned out to be noteable or stemmed a great live album.

I'm just listening to Echo And The Bunnymen at the Albert Hall from about 1984.
maybe just nostalgic but that would have been immense Cool

U2 at Red Rocks would be another.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 20:19

Stone Roses @ Spike Island

Just to experience the day, yeah the sound and band weren't up to much but due to barely a clip on You Tube, it's deffo took on an iconic status in my eyes.

The Smiths @ Derby Assembly Rooms

Love the footage from this gig, not sure if it was shown on The Old Grey Whistle Test, might be wrong - SOOOO would have liked to have been there.

Suede @ Royal Albert Hall/Manchester Ritz 2010 & Brixton Academy this Spring (3 nights - 3 seperate albums)

One of my first proper gigs was seeing Suede in Manchester - a quite brilliant and quintessentially English band - still not seen any of their reformed gigs - Brett's voice is like a fine malt, improving over time.....
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 23:57

Brilliant Topic.

There are loads of gigs I would have loved to have been at, but I'll stick to the ones I could actually have gone to if I'd known/been solvent/got my arse in gear for.

Spike Island is definately one - a significant cultural event as opposed to just a gig.

The Smiths too, a great shout.

Also Oasis at Maine Road in '96. Just because of where it was, and the fact that it was probably the last time they were any good.

Pulp at Glasto in '95.

The Clash - Electric Ballroom 1980. A mate's older brother said he could get us in. He was probably lying. Anyway I was only a kid and quite rightly Mum wouldn't let me go!

Floyd's The Wall shows, just for the sheer crazy spectacle.

The Manic's final date of The Holy Bible tour, and the last gig played by Richey. By all accounts it was incredibly intense. At the end they smashed up everything as if to say "that's it, it's all over."

There must be hundreds of others.

To choose one "go back in time" gig, it would be Bowie - retiring Ziggy at the Hammy Odeon in '73.

And one I'm so pleased I did go to - The Stones, Wembley June 25th 1982. Me and 2 mates bunked off school to go. Mick and Keef were still under 40, and they still had the magic, the vitality and the danger. They didn't do another tour for 7 years and by then the years started to tell. We missed the last train home and slept on Liverpool Street station's steps. I was in so much shit when I got home.

Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeSat 29 Jan 2011, 10:30

some crackers there guys.
I saw Oasis at Loch Lomond in 96' - that was an amazing day out !

another one form the past would be The Who - can never profess to being a die hard fan or anything
but one of my mates used to play one of their live gigs all the time when we were younger. Can't remember exactly which one....
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeSat 29 Jan 2011, 12:19

Mr_K wrote:

I was 16. It was amazing.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeSat 29 Jan 2011, 19:57

Mr_K wrote:
Brilliant Topic.

There are loads of gigs I would have loved to have been at, but I'll stick to the ones I could actually have gone to if I'd known/been solvent/got my arse in gear for.

Spike Island is definately one - a significant cultural event as opposed to just a gig.

The Smiths too, a great shout.

Also Oasis at Maine Road in '96. Just because of where it was, and the fact that it was probably the last time they were any good.

Pulp at Glasto in '95.

The Clash - Electric Ballroom 1980. A mate's older brother said he could get us in. He was probably lying. Anyway I was only a kid and quite rightly Mum wouldn't let me go!

The Manic's final date of The Holy Bible tour, and the last gig played by Richey. By all accounts it was incredibly intense. At the end they smashed up everything as if to say "that's it, it's all over."

There must be hundreds of others.

To choose one "go back in time" gig, it would be Bowie - retiring Ziggy at the Hammy Odeon in '73.

And one I'm so pleased I did go to - The Stones, Wembley June 25th 1982. Me and 2 mates bunked off school to go. Mick and Keef were still under 40, and they still had the magic, the vitality and the danger. They didn't do another tour for 7 years and by then the years started to tell. We missed the last train home and slept on Liverpool Street station's steps. I was in so much shit when I got home.

Mr K - Was at Maine Road to see Oasis on the Sunday, and it was magical, a celebration of their music to that point, drinking from a carton of gin and orange to Acquiesce, aaah those were the days.....the night before I was at the Fifth Man under The Hacienda to see the Manics first live gig (and mine ever of the band) without Richey, it was their warm up gig for Maine Road with Oasis....'Roses In The Hospital' esp staying in my memory.

ChrissyBoy - I was at Loch Lomond aswell - another great Oasis gig with OCS and Black Grape supporting, among others.

Last edited by My Bury Vest on Wed 02 Feb 2011, 15:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeSun 30 Jan 2011, 11:31

My Bury Vest wrote:
ChrissyBoy - I was at Loch Lomond aswell - another great Oasis gig with OCS and Black Grape supporting, among others.

You must have been on the Sunday - think there was a slightly bigger line up for some reason - On the Sat we didn't get OCS -
Cast played instead with Black Grape and can't remember the other. Was an amazing setting though - magic fireworks at the end too ! Cool
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeSun 30 Jan 2011, 13:51

Mr_K wrote:
Brilliant Topic.

I went to that one too! I even got a very grainy photo to prove it! Sorry about the quality - my Kodak Instamatic wasn't really up to thrashing around to the strains of Mick and Keef!

Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen TheStones001Resized
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeMon 31 Jan 2011, 10:57

Nice one Ticky. I know that these massive gigs are much maligned (by me as well) but there is something special being part of a huge crowd watching brilliant performers do their stuff. The collective euphoria is just something else.

It also displays the difference between brilliant musicians and uber-charismatic performers. The Stones were one of those bands. Likewise U2, who are far from my favourite band, were bloody awesome at Wembley in '93 (as was Bjork, supporting). Love him or LOATHE him, Bono on stage has charisma by the bucket load, and U2 were perhaps the ultimate arena band of the 90s.

On a similar theme, another gig I wish I'd gone to was Queen at Wembley in 86. Not a band I listen to much, but we all know the songs, and as live performers they were up there with the very best. It was recorded for a live album too.

And finally, one I missed last month - Paul McCartney at the Hammy Odeon (or whatever it is called now). He may be knocking on, but he is a legend. Just look at the setlist - OMG! Gutted!
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeTue 01 Feb 2011, 11:03

Nice list Mr K and top post CB!!
The first that springs to mind is Jeff Buckley, don't care when, don't care where, just wanted to see and most probably cry!
The Smiths with support from James 1984
Joy Division's first Factory gig on June 9th 1978.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeTue 01 Feb 2011, 21:44

Frank Sinatra/The Rat Pack!
Definitly!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitimeWed 02 Feb 2011, 12:16

The Beatles - my dad bought a ticket for me when I was 4 years old to see them in Cardiff, but my mother wouldn't let him take me. I have never forgiven her...!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen   Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gigs/Bands you wish you'd seen
Page 1 of 1