elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bands you somehow managed to avoid

Go down 
+7
fadeupyoursmile
butterfingersbimbo
Topaz
Ted
leespoons
al
bluefield
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Bands you somehow managed to avoid Empty
PostSubject: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jul 2008, 14:04

Not on purpose but it just sort of happened .
Rage against the machine for me, lots of people name check them, they play big gigs , they sell loads of Cds but I wouldnt have a clue what they sound like, if I heard a R.A.T.M. song I may like it or hate it I wouldnt recognise it as such,The name could mean anything they could be a Jazz fusion band or a radical left wing folk band or a metal band.
Yeah I know I could go and listen now if I really wanted to but Im not going to, if it happens it happens.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jul 2008, 15:21

I've never voluntarily listened to radiohead, maybe they don't come under avoided but..passed by! I like what I've heard but I'll stare at all their albums in HMV and think 'Hmm, I'll get round to them later.'
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jul 2008, 15:44

Yeah Im a bit the same with Radiohead everything about them says I should love em but its never really happened........they must be gutted ha !
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jul 2008, 16:17

Yeah, they could do with more fans! Wink
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jul 2008, 20:01

Turin Brakes, and Doves. I own one Doves album I bought after reading that they were similar to Elbow, but played it once, thought 'it's not as good as Elbow' and forgot about it. Perhaps I should dig it out again.

Funnily enough I could've answered 'Elbow' until I bought Leaders in a Tesco remainder bin... I liked what I'd heard on the radio ('Newborn' and 'Fugitive Motel') but never quite got round to buying their albums.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jul 2008, 21:05

Yeah I have the Doves on hold seen em on TV doing a live gig and really enjoyed them and left it at that so they are a future treat I hope. I guess its got to be listened to at the right time and place initially what ever it is.
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jul 2008, 22:05

al wrote:
I've never voluntarily listened to radiohead, maybe they don't come under avoided but..passed by! I like what I've heard but I'll stare at all their albums in HMV and think 'Hmm, I'll get round to them later.'

DON'T!!!

Just buy it all now!!! It cannot wait until later! If you want a flavour of their almighty work then get the new "Best Of" compilation that they had no say in due to their contract having finished with EMI. There is nothing from the new album though. I recommend you just buy the 7 albums they have done. Listen to them over and over and you will soon realise that Kid A is just about the most incredible thing ever put on disc. When you have done this, get back to me...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jul 2008, 11:39

Ted wrote:
Listen to them over and over and you will soon realise that Kid A is just about the most incredible thing ever put on disc. When you have done this, get back to me...Very Happy

It really is! It's like taking a little emotional journey every time I listen.
Back to top Go down
butterfingersbimbo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jul 2008, 19:27

I have a special place in my heart for radiohead.
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jul 2008, 22:13

Topaz wrote:
Ted wrote:
Listen to them over and over and you will soon realise that Kid A is just about the most incredible thing ever put on disc. When you have done this, get back to me...Very Happy

It really is! It's like taking a little emotional journey every time I listen.

I have this wee theory that Kid A charts a human life in musical form. From birth (Everything In Its Right Place) to tragic end (Motion Picture Soundtrack). The lyrics seem to fit my crazy theory to some extent as well.

I do not believe anything has come close to it in the last 8 years since its release. In fact I have often said that if I were allowed 2 albums for desert island discs or the only things I could listen to for the rest of my life then they would be Kid A by Radiohead and Closer by Joy Division.
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jul 2008, 14:08

My two would be Kid A and Asleep in the Back. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jul 2008, 20:26

Weezer, they were around when i was a rock clubing in my local, used to sing along with the best of them, but i'd struggle to name a track!!!!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jul 2008, 13:53

Bob Dylan.

As a kid I'd never really 'got' His Bobness until recently. I was given a copy of Highway 61 Revisited about a year ago. It's an absolute classic and should be on everybodies 'must hear before you die' list. I'm still wary of much of huis stuff but other albums from around the time of Highway are brilliant. Now I understand where the hype comes from.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jul 2008, 13:58

The Pixies - Loads of people go on about them but I couldn't hum you one song.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ChrisMcW
fallen angel
fallen angel
ChrisMcW

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jul 2008, 14:10

MagicalTrevor wrote:
I'm with you Trevor - i've listened to them a fair bit and just don't get them...
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jul 2008, 16:13

Pixies big influencial Band, but Im with you on that Magical T if they set up and started playing thier most famous tracks in my street i wouldnt have a clue who they were, frankly I would prefer it if they were the bin men as my bin is overflowing but thats another story
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jul 2008, 17:03

The Stone Roses were always hyped back in the day, but i never really picked up on them.

Red Hot Chili Peppers were also a band i never listened much too (although did like Under The Bridge). Then really got into their Californication album and By The Way - then haven't listened to them much again.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jul 2008, 17:42

MagicalTrevor wrote:

Not even 'Monkey Gone To Heaven' or 'Velouria'? Shocked I haven't heard a lot else of theirs to be fair though.

I absolutely HATED the Stone Roses and the Smiths when I first heard them, it took me ages to 'get' them. Mind you I'm always a bit wary of having bands shoved down my throat, which is why I never go on about Elbow too much to people - I just say 'listen to their albums and see if you like them' as over-saturation is a bit of a killer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands you somehow managed to avoid   Bands you somehow managed to avoid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands you somehow managed to avoid
Page 1 of 1