elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

build a rocket boys!

Go down 
+68
The DaddyO 44
Quent1n
Cozzer
imalittlebeast
debut
yesman
Nile
leespoons
jEUR
mitchy
Boney-Crisp
nellie
BigAL
andy_landy
scotochromagen
Mr Woman
Fancy Pants
Ifordy
NeonChoir
Kim
Eag
elbowismymuse
Lillybef
Minerva69
Cestriansteve
torkidlx
Bennington
hilaryg
mouxlaloulouda
citizen
takemeanywhere
Trains Are...Mint
allyngibson
Steveissteve
AyannaD
ukkonen
The Final Track
CrisalidaBoy
Jones
oneofthethree
MagicalTrevor
heshofcheese
Niftium
ChrissieInFL
wozza
evilpixie
sparky
Kayleigh
ElbowFreak
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
WOBLEwoble
Glendarian
Lynne
errant
lucky with disease
Hotblack
My Bury Vest
Kiresg
Dano
ticky
natalia
HattyMarris
mrswoman
@MrIanGibson
LongLegs
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 10:37

Here goes... Considering it's the lead song, one that's supposed to whet our appetite, it's maybe a little bit, erm, boring?
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 11:03

Has anybody else noticed that video has been up a week, not so industrious after all are we Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 11:56

Nice!

Boring? If you don't like Elbow you can judge "boring" many Elbow songs. Elbow mainly write ballads and the record seems to start with a beautiful tender ballad. Every record is different.
The Velvet Underground and Nico starts with... Sunday Morning.

However, the volume of the clip seems too low, but i heard it with headphones and it's beautiful. My two cents.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 12:38

It's stunning, beautiful and simple Elbow, thanks boys!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 13:05

What a lovely song! My mom and me think it is again the Elbow we fell in love with back in 2001... Smile

Btw...love the trick with the sticky tape on the keyboard... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 14:27

Just listening for the second/third time now...that will do nicely for me, i would say a relativley typical Elbow opening track, perhaps not building to a crescendo like some of the other openers.
Nevertheless, melodic and understated with an underlying 'something' about Guy's change in vocal tone.... and i'm almost expecting the following song to take it up a notch, but who knows ?

Cool cheers
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 15:29

Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 15:34

I think it's great. Definitely goes with the minimalistic vibe that's been mentioned. Adding a bucket-load of strings and a sing-a-long chorus would have put it back into that slightly overdone TSSK category, so I like it nice and simple.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 15:43

Ok... what kind of a band makes you cry listening to a new song... What king of effect is that?
Elbow just did that to me.
I was crying watching that video and thinking the whole time why I'm crying. Can't explain it...
I just did.

Amacing song. Very excited for the upcoming album.

Thanks for that beautiful experience.

Love and Greets from Germany.

Elli!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 22:59

Just had chance to have a listen - lovely, subtle, emotional. I love the simplicity and the chord changes. I can see it growing and it opens up all kinds of potential for the album. Really can't wait now! Smile

Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Dec 2010, 23:28

Right, I've been offline for about a week...so what's been going on?

*reads*

ah OK, not much then Wink
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2010, 20:36

So does anyone know what makes the deluxe edition so deluxe? Right now, both editions are listed as containing only 1 CD, though I realize that that's subject to change...
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2010, 20:48

I tweeted Craig with the same question. Much as I love Oliver's artwork, I hope it isn't a repeat of TSSK when the deluxe version was a different case with a bit more artwork. Surely a DVD of the album being performed at Blueprint (or some of the tracks) would make a great deluxe version.

And of course I'm waiting for the vinyl to appear.

As for the song, thought "meh" the first time I heard it. Now I love it.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 09:44

The 'digipack' i think only means it's not in a standard cd case,
probably a bit fancier artwork like you suggest - but i can't see if there is any additional content ?
be great if there was something 'extra' on the disc.

Most of the music i've bought recently has been download, but i prefer to have the actual CD for things i really like....so, what happens when you pre-order... does the CD arrive on the day of release. I usually just go to a store, rather than trust the post will make it on the day !

or is there any chance it might come earlier ?
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 10:25

In my experience it sometimes comes early, sometimes late. Wink Could they do what other bands have done recently - you preorder the CD with the promise of a download key to be e-mailed on the release date so you can download it in digital format while you wait for the post! Particularly good for overseas shipping, but given the reliability of some record shops and the postal service it's a great idea in any case, I'd say.

I do hope the "deluxe" version is something meaningful not just a cynical marketing thing by the record company. I'll be holding back on preordering till we know more.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 14:01

*sighs*
I love it. It's beautiful...
Back to top Go down
CrisalidaBoy
fallen angel
fallen angel
CrisalidaBoy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 22:20

I have to say although Lippy Kids is not the kind of opener I "wanted", I like it. It gave me a good feeling about the album - it seems we won't have a silly commercial record. Elbow are bigger than that.

I really like the cover. It's simple and beautiful. Maybe I would like it with another font, cause it's too similar to TSSK, but I don't really care. And the album's title is perfect, just perfect.

Really obsessed with this release.
Back to top Go down
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours
The Final Track

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Jan 2011, 17:40

Rumor has it the album leaked, found a link but it looks like a bait and switch. Personally I'm going to wait til the release.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Jan 2011, 05:35

Checked out the leak rumor and I have no idea what it is, but the one link available was a second part of some file & it looks like it's a false alarm. I know that some people have it according to twitter, but I can't imagine it leaking this early.

According to @antonycotton (seems reliable, but who knows) - the first single will be "Neat Little Rows" and will be out in mid-February.
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 12:41

the only twitter thing i could find was that someone had heard it, not that they had it. Could be a friend of a record company exec.

Would never trust "rapidshare links" where you have to do the survey - if they were real, the files would have been shared everywhere since.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 12:50

I dreamt last night that I was round at a friend of mines house (who happens to know Guy pretty well) and he had a promo copy, that I was desperately trying to rip to iTunes before he caught me Smile
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 15:40

MagicalTrevor wrote:
I dreamt last night that I was round at a friend of mines house (who happens to know Guy pretty well) and he had a promo copy, that I was desperately trying to rip to iTunes before he caught me Smile

*LOL*
Nice one. Althought I'd wait till the album will be released...
Back to top Go down
CrisalidaBoy
fallen angel
fallen angel
CrisalidaBoy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 15:56

^ But why? :p

I mean, if we are going to buy the album yes or yes, why can't we listen to it before?
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 18:39

Hmmm, don't know. I've never been into leaking stuff.
I want them to make a living out of the work they do and the albums they release.
If you download it before, you probably won't buy it if it's good quality...
And if you buy it, probably the download was crappy - and I don't want to screw it up for myself.
The release date is March... I can wait those three months. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Jan 2011, 19:00

Not sure I agree.

A leaked album will most likely only be sought after by die-hard fans, who will definitely buy the album anyway. I gotta admit I did this with TSSK (thought I had already pre-ordered it).

When the album is released, the casual fans who don't want to buy it will download it anyway.

Having said all that, I'm not condoning nor encouraging leaks, I'm just saying I don't think they affect sales.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

build a rocket boys!
Page 4 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next