elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

build a rocket boys!

Go down 
+68
The DaddyO 44
Quent1n
Cozzer
imalittlebeast
debut
yesman
Nile
leespoons
jEUR
mitchy
Boney-Crisp
nellie
BigAL
andy_landy
scotochromagen
Mr Woman
Fancy Pants
Ifordy
NeonChoir
Kim
Eag
elbowismymuse
Lillybef
Minerva69
Cestriansteve
torkidlx
Bennington
hilaryg
mouxlaloulouda
citizen
takemeanywhere
Trains Are...Mint
allyngibson
Steveissteve
AyannaD
ukkonen
The Final Track
CrisalidaBoy
Jones
oneofthethree
MagicalTrevor
heshofcheese
Niftium
ChrissieInFL
wozza
evilpixie
sparky
Kayleigh
ElbowFreak
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
WOBLEwoble
Glendarian
Lynne
errant
lucky with disease
Hotblack
My Bury Vest
Kiresg
Dano
ticky
natalia
HattyMarris
mrswoman
@MrIanGibson
LongLegs
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Feb 2011, 10:02

welcome elbowismymuse!

i think your analysis is a bit premature Smile.
however, from the snippets i don't hear nothing infuenced by Kings Of Leon or Snow Patrol.

for now, i can say it seems dominated by the Craig keyboards...
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Feb 2011, 23:33

Hey guys - thanks for the welcome!

Dano - I was talking about "Neat Little Rows" as a whole song as it is available to hear. Very Happy With this in mind, I do think that on first impression the stirring guitar gave off a Kings of Leon/Snow Patrol-ish vibe. I don't think this any more though as Elbow always come into their own on repeat listening. As regards whether they were inspired by SP/KOL, I've no idea, but I doubt it. I think many songs give off a vibe of another artist but are not necessarily inspired by that artist - they've simply stumbled upon a similar theme/mood/structure/tempo or whatever at a particular point, probably unconsciously.

But no, I think Elbow are Elbow and shall remain uniquely Ellbow. Very Happy

i don't feel my analysis is premature because it was purely speculative and rather brief. Wait until I've heard the whole thing! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 13:20

I've had various e-mails about preordering BARB from iTunes - and apparently there's a bonus version where you get three videos with it. I want a CD rather than an iTunes download, but does anyone know if these will be included in the Deluxe CD? Or anywhere else (not nice if it's iTunes only).

I know this probably sounds daft but I'm getting the jitters because I haven't preordered my CD yet (!) I don't want to order the deluxe version if the difference is just a few tweaks to the cover but if there are real differences obviously that's the one I want to go for. Is there any info out there about what this deluxe CD really means?
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 13:42

elbowismymuse wrote:
Hey guys - thanks for the welcome!

Dano - I was talking about "Neat Little Rows" as a whole song as it is available to hear. Very Happy With this in mind, I do think that on first impression the stirring guitar gave off a Kings of Leon/Snow Patrol-ish vibe. I don't think this any more though as Elbow always come into their own on repeat listening. As regards whether they were inspired by SP/KOL, I've no idea, but I doubt it. I think many songs give off a vibe of another artist but are not necessarily inspired by that artist - they've simply stumbled upon a similar theme/mood/structure/tempo or whatever at a particular point, probably unconsciously.

But no, I think Elbow are Elbow and shall remain uniquely Ellbow. Very Happy

i don't feel my analysis is premature because it was purely speculative and rather brief. Wait until I've heard the whole thing! Very Happy

no problem, mate Smile . first i don't have nothing against those bands, i simply don't hear their influence on the record. Neat Littles Rows sound like a propulsive pop-rock based on a bluesy riff, but it sounds 100% Elbow to me. Maybe, it riminds me somethig by U2, probably Vertigo?
i agree with you: it seems a bit...generic for Elbow, but i expect something different from the whole version. we heard the radio edit version.
i also agree with you on With Love: i go on and on to sing the melody and the piano notes(vaudeville?). seems nice....
Back to top Go down
mouxlaloulouda
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-02-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 16:52

Help to unlock and listen to songs from elbow's forthcoming album 'build a rocket boys!'!
http://www.buildarocketboys.com/
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 17:24

Tricky bastards! I wonder how long it'll take.
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 17:33

ukkonen wrote:

Probably up until the release date Neutral
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 17:47

Dear Friends is at 69% right now. I'd say if the viral marketing works like it should, the majority/all of it will be unlocked by Wednesday. But I'm lowballing it, too, because I think that it'll be unlocked by tomorrow since it's progressing nicely for something that has only been around for a few hours.

With that being said, I'm impressed at them pulling off the impossible: leaking their own album before it could be leaked.
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 18:36

Dear friends at 80%, could be done by the end of the day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 19:13

ukkonen wrote:

I know, I was wondering the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 19:23

HattyMarris wrote:
ukkonen wrote:

Probably up until the release date Neutral

Yeah, assuming you have a limited number of votes, I'd be surprised if all songs were unlocked within a week. Unless my assumption is wrong...
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 19:46

Dear Friends at 94% - just noticed this !!!!
Back to top Go down
mouxlaloulouda
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-02-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 20:03

An interview with Guy Garvey
http://thequietus.com/articles/05724-elbow-interview-build-a-rocket-boys

"Well, I have the same friends I have now. I couldn't believe women found me attractive - it took me a while to calm down on that front. I went mental; I was a bit of a slag. I was very full of myself, I was very ambitious. I was a little bit spikier than I am now, because I hadn't anything to be proud of, so I was a little defensive perhaps. I didn't have any money, and I was as skinny as a whippet. It's all in 'Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl' - that's kind of a blueprint for the record, musically and lyrically. And I can't wait to get her reaction - the Rochdale girl in questions is still a friend of mine, actually. She's just become a mother, she lives in Granada with her husband. "
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 20:22

I thought they'd offer more than a 30 sec preview, considering we've had access to the iTunes previews for two weeks now. But I'm excited to hear "Jesus Is a Rochdale Girl" in full now, though.
Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 20:52

Dear Friends has now been unlocked with an animated clip on their YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qPjx6kNATM

Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Feb 2011, 21:24

Just seen some comment about Snow Patrol and Kings Of Leon. I can tell you now, there is absolutely nothing resembling Snow Patrol or Kings Of Leon on this album, Thank god!
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 09:10

ukkonen wrote:
I thought they'd offer more than a 30 sec preview, considering we've had access to the iTunes previews for two weeks now. But I'm excited to hear "Jesus Is a Rochdale Girl" in full now, though.

I agree, a little misleading. Loved the animations by Oliver, over on youtube.

Last edited by LongLegs on Tue 22 Feb 2011, 10:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 09:21

I adore Dear Friends already - from what there is of it!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 09:42

Aaaah, I love it!
But I want MORE !!!!
What a tease!
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 10:23

ukkonen wrote:

With that being said, I'm impressed at them pulling off the impossible: leaking their own album before it could be leaked.

never a band to do things the normal way... lol... pleased it hasnt broke - although i like the radiohead approach to it by not telling anyone, not giving out advance copies and just surprising the masses... (guess they can do that when they're that big?).

cheers
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 17:51

I Love those Little snippets. :-D
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 17:57

These snippets are doing my shed in - it's like someone putting a King Prawn Jalfrezi in front of you - letting you look at, and smell it's beautiful appearance.

Then some bar steward takes it away. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 18:05

I'm simply not listening to them. Gonna wait for whole album.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 18:14

I love the snippets of what I've heard so far. Very Happy It makes me THAT much more excited for the album to come out. SQUEE!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 18:42

MagicalTrevor wrote:
I'm simply not listening to them. Gonna wait for whole album.

Very wise mate - heard 2 of the snippets, can can't really gauge what the rest of the song's gonna be like, don't care what anyone says.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

build a rocket boys!
Page 10 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next