elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

build a rocket boys!

Go down 
+68
The DaddyO 44
Quent1n
Cozzer
imalittlebeast
debut
yesman
Nile
leespoons
jEUR
mitchy
Boney-Crisp
nellie
BigAL
andy_landy
scotochromagen
Mr Woman
Fancy Pants
Ifordy
NeonChoir
Kim
Eag
elbowismymuse
Lillybef
Minerva69
Cestriansteve
torkidlx
Bennington
hilaryg
mouxlaloulouda
citizen
takemeanywhere
Trains Are...Mint
allyngibson
Steveissteve
AyannaD
ukkonen
The Final Track
CrisalidaBoy
Jones
oneofthethree
MagicalTrevor
heshofcheese
Niftium
ChrissieInFL
wozza
evilpixie
sparky
Kayleigh
ElbowFreak
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
WOBLEwoble
Glendarian
Lynne
errant
lucky with disease
Hotblack
My Bury Vest
Kiresg
Dano
ticky
natalia
HattyMarris
mrswoman
@MrIanGibson
LongLegs
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
CrisalidaBoy
fallen angel
fallen angel
CrisalidaBoy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-30

build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Jan 2011, 11:52

^ Exactly.

And Elbowfrank, a thing I don't do is to download a leak with an awful quality, cause that doesn't work for me. If I download something it has to be in 320kbps (the best quality apart from FLAC). And then, I buy the album.

I think the people who buy albums have to be a die-hard fan of the band or have to like spending money on that kind of things (which I do and love, not the money thing, I talk about having an album, etc). So.. I don't know. I see it like a kind of "publicity". I wouldn't have listened to Elbow if I couldn't have downloaded TSSK. Now I'm buying it for Christmas... so it's another record sold.

And that's it. Smile
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Jan 2011, 12:21

I'm not sure if I would download a leak. Last time I did it spoiled my good anticipation and I could not even tell someone, that I was disappointed about the record until it came out officially silent
For me as a webmistress of a elbow-fansite it is quite frustrating to fake "curiousity" when knowing yet, how the stuff sounds...Shocked
And maybe we should remember from time to time how it was to "analogue times", when you got the record only as vinyl... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Jan 2011, 12:59

When listening to the taster track on Boxing Day, i was transported back to when they produced the intractive screensaver ahead of Cast of Thousands... i get the same feeling about Lippy Kids as i did when Ribcage was put onto the screensaver...

ah happy days... both then & NOW! :-)
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Jan 2011, 13:03

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Not sure I agree.

A leaked album will most likely only be sought after by die-hard fans, who will definitely buy the album anyway. I gotta admit I did this with TSSK (thought I had already pre-ordered it).

When the album is released, the casual fans who don't want to buy it will download it anyway.

Having said all that, I'm not condoning nor encouraging leaks, I'm just saying I don't think they affect sales.

Concur 100% with what you're saying... I've bought almost every release Elbow have put out there, so can sleep soundly at night when i admit that i've heard the leaked versions of the last 3 albums... i don't follow the stuff about it spoiling anticipation etc... its still the first time you've heard it, whether its digital or via the actual cd...

i remember around a similar debate around the time of the relase of leaders on the old powderblue board... and one thing said was actually getting your hands on the art work\cd\slip etc... and the delux copy of leaders was a paper slip case ffs!!!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Jan 2011, 14:18

Don't think it would make much difference to sales in the climate now, but for 'Leaders... because it was leaked while the Dvd that went with it, was doing the rounds at film showings, that summer, by the time the album was officially released in the september, the impetus had been lost, and some people didn't realise the official release date for sales.

Although the deluxe edition of Leaders was paper again, at least it had the wonderful Soup Collective DVD with it, while the regular plastic case was just the no frills CD.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Jan 2011, 16:27

lucky with disease wrote:

Although the deluxe edition of Leaders was paper again, at least it had the wonderful Soup Collective DVD with it, while the regular plastic case was just the no frills CD.

still think it should have been the other way round... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 14:28

Erm, I have never illegally downloaded or copied music but this time I am definitely willing to consider it!
I have already pre-ordered the official release, so it wouldn't affect their sales figures, but am rather itching to hear it!!!
I certainly don't condone illegal downloads, but in this case...build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Free-confused-smileys-718
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 15:27

Jones wrote:
Erm, I have never illegally downloaded or copied music but this time I am definitely willing to consider it!
I have already pre-ordered the official release, so it wouldn't affect their sales figures, but am rather itching to hear it!!!
I certainly don't condone illegal downloads, but in this case...build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Free-confused-smileys-718

Naturally, I will be buying the album when it comes out, I'm just curious - where do you go about finding these 'leaks' - not that I would of course.. Wink
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 15:40

They are usually torrents. I think the one currently doing the rounds is fake though.

I don't think BARB has been leaked.

Every place I have found wants something, like your mobile number, to spam you with crap and cost you a fortune.

I am looking purely academically of course.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 17:06

I concur with MT's academic research !
its all gash at the moment,

I'm sure we'll start to hear murmerings of comments through twitter / press or something when people do start getting a listen.

Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 01:07

Jones wrote:

Most people I personally know who download leaks, merely do it out of curiosity because they are too impatient to wait for their pre-ordered official release to arrive.
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 01:18

If people hadn't downloaded the TSSK leak early, we'd never know of the (nearly inconsequential) differences between the early version and the released version. So leaks can be fun!

*cough* Right, academically, that is.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 05:04

Ahh, if only leaks were really treated that way... A large quantity of people who dl leaks simply do it because it's available before the release date. The hyped CD's end up with a lot of illegal downloads from people who have zero intentions of pre-ordering the album or even purchasing it in the first place, which can be harmful to some artists but for the most part, it affects the artists who already have huge sales (and even then these releases can end up in the top 10 of the album charts in the U.S. the first week of sales). The worst thing I've witnessed is seeing a semi-popular indie musician have her album leaked two months before the release date.

I seldom keep up with leaks these days, but the best legal way of checking if an album leaked is to look at the last.fm pages for artists. There are other ways that I won't address in public and I think looking at one website on a daily basis is a lot better than trying to track down a pending leak. Wink
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 11:59

By the way folks, any links to leaks of the new album (real or otherwise) will be deleted.

Just sayin'.

Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 13:03

Fairy snuff.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 14:14

Over the past year or two, I've seen so many bands trying to nip the leaks in the bud by streaming their albums in their entirety on "official" sites before the release. I'm sure they know that the fans who are planning to buy anyway are hungry to hear new material, and this gives them a way to check it out without resorting to illegal measures. Of course, listening on a streaming site isn't the same as downloading and having access to the songs, but I know I've been happy enough to listen to music I want online until I can purchase it, and I think lots of other music fans feel the same way.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 21:42

I will wait until March.
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 00:25

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Over the past year or two, I've seen so many bands trying to nip the leaks in the bud by streaming their albums in their entirety on "official" sites before the release. I'm sure they know that the fans who are planning to buy anyway are hungry to hear new material, and this gives them a way to check it out without resorting to illegal measures. Of course, listening on a streaming site isn't the same as downloading and having access to the songs, but I know I've been happy enough to listen to music I want online until I can purchase it, and I think lots of other music fans feel the same way.

This is exactly how it should be done.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 10:11

That sounds like an excellent idea, and one that I would definitely settle for.
The other thought I had was that if they could somehow make the album available to listen to for those who have already pre-ordered it,
maybe with a special code or something...build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Free-confused-smileys-304
Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Jan 2011, 01:42

ChrissieInFL wrote:

I think this is a smart move by the bands. Several of my favorites had their albums streaming on NPR, MySpace or their official site a week or two before the official release date. It definitely curb the appetite of those eager to hear the new songs.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Jan 2011, 10:39

I simply know me, as a listener, it's not about ethic stuff. I know if i wait it will be a very emotional listen.
We've just a live version of Lippy Kids and will have a single.
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 02:40

Yeah, NPR's deal is pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 13:50

craig tweeted this link to loudhailer speaks blog about the new album...

Sent: 11 Jan 2011 12:46
RT @LewJam: Elbow album (basic details) and Lippy Kids video http://bit.ly/hNtJ1w on my blog
sent via web
Back to top Go down
Steveissteve
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 21:03

Hmm, play.com are showing a changed tracklist, with The Birds as #1 and Lippy kids as #2. Mistake, or ?
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 22:35

errant wrote:
craig tweeted this link to loudhailer speaks blog about the new album...

Sent: 11 Jan 2011 12:46
RT @LewJam: Elbow album (basic details) and Lippy Kids video http://bit.ly/hNtJ1w on my blog
sent via web

cyclops
who needs fans to retweet? wIth a Loudhailer to do Pr.
Sometimes that Loudhailer loves his job.
Lol.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

build a rocket boys!
Page 5 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next