elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

build a rocket boys! reviews

Go down 
+25
Paulo Paulo
allyngibson
arsefrom
djvh
NeonChoir
elbowismymuse
James1983uk
The Final Track
Glendarian
Niftium
Bennington
mouxlaloulouda
ekimq
TamedLamia
errant
Jones
Hotblack
ukkonen
ChrissieInFL
ChrissyBoy
LongLegs
ticky
My Bury Vest
Dano
HattyMarris
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

build a rocket boys! reviews Empty
PostSubject: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 10:58

Q Review

Elbow – Build A Rocket Boys! ****

Steady as she goes for Band of the People’s fifth album.

"You can't beat a bit of Elbow to raise the spirits." That was the view of Leanne Cee, and dozens of other sports fans, when it was announced the band's One Day Like This had been chosen to soundtrack England’s 2018 World Cup bid. Its rousing “It’s looking like a beautiful day” chorus was “the perfect choice” to “melt the hearts of the FA committee”, reckoned the people of Twitter. The Sun and the Mirror agreed and were quickly on the phone to Elbow’s people. You can see their thinking: dyed-in-the-wool Mancunians, and recently appointed People’s band, helping bring football home. The synergy was perfect. Except for one thing: no one in Elbow actually likes football.
As it turned out, we lost. Still, the story suggests several things. One: Not everyone in the Manchester area likes football. Two: After 20 years of toil, Elbow’s music was now connecting on a Coldplay scale. And three: What a grounded place the band themselves must be in. “Use our song if you like,” they presumably said to FIFA, just as they had to Big Brother 9, So You Think you Can Dance Canada and even James May At The Edge Of Space. There’s no point being precious about it.
It’s hard to imagine similar sentiment coming from Elbow Around the time of 2003’s Cast Of Thousands. Still reeling from being mucked around by various record companies and rattled when their eventual debut, Asleep In The Back, lost the Mercury Prize to PJ Harvey in 2001, they made a record even singer Guy Garvey called “unsettling” and “jagged”. Recorded under pressure, at a time when the song cupboard was empty – something not helped by Garvey losing all his notebooks – it was the sound of a band that still felt they had a lot to prove. Like similar acts by Radiohead and U2, Cast Of Thousands seemed conceived to position Elbow against the mainstream. If the net result alienated some earlier fans, so be it. By 2008’s The Seldom Seen Kid all that had changed. Older, with 3/5 of the band now fathers and at peace with the level of their success (big enough, not massive), they were in a comfortable enough place to write something as universal as One Day Like This. For every band deemed not popular enough to be allowed to continue past album two or three, it’s a lesson in what might be.

Its obvious the good grounding is still there on Build A Rocket Boys! The two Ivor Novello’s, the Brit, the Mercury Prize (second time lucky) and the platinum sales that came with The Seldom Seen kid – plus Garvey no longer being able to walk down Manchester’s Deansgate without a bobby getting off his bike to shake his hand - might have once sent Elbow into a tailspin. But Build A Rocket Boys” isn’t a reaction to anything. It’s neither Top 5-be-damned experimental noise terror nor 11 string-soaked attempts to rewrite One Day Like This. It’s simply another excellent Elbow record.
Written while touring, recorded at Salford’s Blueprint Studios, and produced and mixed by keyboardist Craig Potter, it’s an album that maximises the use of light and shade, texture and mood, in contrast to The Seldom Seen Kid’s autumnal melancholy.
Garvey has already spoken about the first song Lippy Kids, inspired by “getting really annoyed when kids are demonised in the press” and how teenage years are “an amazingly important time”. “Do they know those days are golden?” he croons. “Walking on walls/stealing booze and hour-long hungry kisses”; the atmosphere of warm nostalgia completed by swelling choir and simply twinkling guitar. The Birds sees Garvey heralding “the keepers of our secrets” over cranks percussion that recalls Grounds For Divorce, before strings and Potter’s electronic bleeps and chirrups send it somewhere completely different.
With Love shows Garvey has been soaking up all those contemporary sounds on his 6music radio show, with a not do dubstep’s empty spaces that makes effective use of handclaps, piano strings and the Hallé Youth Choir to carry its “love will find you out” message. Neat Little Rows (“lay my bones in neat little rows!”) and Open Arms are big beery sing-a-longs that will be well served by this month’s first arena tour, the latter reprising the childhood theme: “The you are will know the boy you were”. Subtler and stranger are High Ideals (with its cryptic talk of bayonet, sinew and wedding rings) and The River, which drifts by on piano that recalls Brian Eno’s Another Green World.

Nobody does serious music like Elbow do, bas as anyone who knows their cover of Destiny Child’s Independent Woman pt. 1 – all xylophone, skiffle beat and the gravelly northern accents – will attest, they’re hardly humourless. A 90-second The Birds reprise, with a Coronation Street extra friend doing his best Sir John Gielgud, is just daft. By comparison, Dear Friends will floor anyone who chokes during the couplet, “So, gentle shoulder charge/Love you, mate” on The Seldom Seen Kid’s Friend Of Ours. It’s another left-handed closing-time male torch song at which its authors are possibly unique. Leanne Cee wasn’t wrong. You can’t beat a bit of Elbow to raise the spirits.

Download: Lippy Kids//The Birds//Neat Little Rows//Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl

Last edited by HattyMarris on Wed 02 Feb 2011, 17:13; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 11:19

I love you Hatty Smile.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 11:51

Nice one Hatster - the album sounds great - more of the same by the sounds of it.....reckon it'll be a grower, rather than something more immediate like TSSK.

Splendid stuff.......(wanders off to MBV's local Asda to buy a copy).
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 12:17

No problem
it gave me something to do in my spare time Smile
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 13:51

HattyMarris wrote:
No problem
it gave me something to do in my spare time Smile

Cool , thank you.

The review sounds very promising.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 15:22

HattyMarris wrote:
Elbow – Build A Rocket Boys! ****

S

Download: Lippy Kids//The Birds//Neat Little Rows//Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl

Can we download these now? ...where from?

Thanks for that Hatty!

Very Happy

Last edited by ticky on Thu 27 Jan 2011, 15:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 15:28

no im pretty sure you can't.
i think they're just Q's recommendations of the best tracks on the album
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 16:38

HattyMarris wrote:
no im pretty sure you can't.
i think they're just Q's recommendations of the best tracks on the album

You're right, they are the songs they reccommended from the album!

Thanks so much for typing it out, you're a star!! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 18:11

much appreciated -the full review does sound far more positive than the
quote on the other thread. Laughing
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 18:26

Just reading the mag now - it's 'like this ? try this...' compares it to...

Last Broadcast - Doves
Another Green World - Brian Eno
Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

With a new pic starring Dave Gro..oh it's Craig !
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 20:37

Niiice! Thanks so much Hatty! Very Happy That review gives me a lot to look forward to - not that I wasn't already looking forward to it, of course! But the details are great, and it all makes me even more impatient to hear the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 01:13

Thanks, Hatty! Sounds like the kind of album I would want from Elbow after TSSK.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 08:44

My Bury Vest wrote:
try this...' compares it to...

...........Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

Not surprising that one. Smile Elbow have stated in the past how much Laughing Stock and Spirt of Eden are much loved influences. They're two of my favourite albums too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 11:36

Thanks for posting Hatty!
It sounds wonderful!
Sometimes wish I was a Q reviewer... Razz
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 12:53

Oh... goose bumps... where have you been! :-)

thanx for that... good read.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 13:31

My Bury Vest wrote:
With a new pic starring Dave Gro..oh it's Craig !
build a rocket boys! reviews Smiley1592
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 17:44

In my opinion the best line is "simply another excellent Elbow record", cause it sounds lilke Elbow are still...Elbow.
Back to top Go down
ekimq
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeTue 01 Feb 2011, 15:16

I've been a long-time browser of this forum, but as a relative latecomer I've never felt that I had anything to add until now...

Is it just me, does this "review" actually say anything about the new record?

I read this article in the magazine at the weekend and it left me very puzzled - the overwhelming impression I got was that the author hasn't actually heard the record and just cobbled together a bit of history, the only new material available at the time (the live version of "Lippy Kids") and the hot-off-the-press quotes from Guy.

There... got it off my chest. Feel much better now... Hello everyone Very Happy

Mike
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeTue 01 Feb 2011, 16:33

ekimq wrote:
I've been a long-time browser of this forum, but as a relative latecomer I've never felt that I had anything to add until now...

Is it just me, does this "review" actually say anything about the new record?

I read this article in the magazine at the weekend and it left me very puzzled - the overwhelming impression I got was that the author hasn't actually heard the record and just cobbled together a bit of history, the only new material available at the time (the live version of "Lippy Kids") and the hot-off-the-press quotes from Guy.

There... got it off my chest. Feel much better now... Hello everyone Very Happy

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome!! sunny

I completely agree with you, to me it gave little insight and seems to be a regurgitated mash of interviews and press relases, but maybe that's all you need to sell a music magazine now days, lazy journalism, NME do it why shouldn't Q.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeWed 02 Feb 2011, 00:44

Ahah Mike. Good first post. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeWed 02 Feb 2011, 09:05

Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeWed 02 Feb 2011, 11:06

LongLegs wrote:
There's a little review from a quality rag here:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/174771/Review-Build-a-rocket-boys-Elbow/
Wink

Do you think the reviewer actually heard the album.
They said the album started with The Birds :s
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeWed 02 Feb 2011, 16:22

We can change the thread name in "Build A Rocket Boys reviews" ?

Post only the positive ones pirat .
Back to top Go down
mouxlaloulouda
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-02-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 19:47

From Uncut's March issue: cyclops
NEXT MONTH... "elbow: The Mercury prize-winners return with 'build a rocket boys!'. Never did a band so epically pour down tears into their beer."
Back to top Go down
Bennington
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bennington

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitimeThu 03 Feb 2011, 19:47

Not much of a reveiw but for what it was prooves that Elbow's 5th album isn't just a re-hash of TSSK. - Which i was afraid of. It sounds like BaRB is a completly different monster! xD
Back to top Go down
http://thexilexile.co.nr
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys! reviews   build a rocket boys! reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

build a rocket boys! reviews
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next