elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

build a rocket boys!

Go down 
+68
The DaddyO 44
Quent1n
Cozzer
imalittlebeast
debut
yesman
Nile
leespoons
jEUR
mitchy
Boney-Crisp
nellie
BigAL
andy_landy
scotochromagen
Mr Woman
Fancy Pants
Ifordy
NeonChoir
Kim
Eag
elbowismymuse
Lillybef
Minerva69
Cestriansteve
torkidlx
Bennington
hilaryg
mouxlaloulouda
citizen
takemeanywhere
Trains Are...Mint
allyngibson
Steveissteve
AyannaD
ukkonen
The Final Track
CrisalidaBoy
Jones
oneofthethree
MagicalTrevor
heshofcheese
Niftium
ChrissieInFL
wozza
evilpixie
sparky
Kayleigh
ElbowFreak
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
WOBLEwoble
Glendarian
Lynne
errant
lucky with disease
Hotblack
My Bury Vest
Kiresg
Dano
ticky
natalia
HattyMarris
mrswoman
@MrIanGibson
LongLegs
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 18:54

Do tell!!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 18:59

Yeah - CS, put us out of our misery, before my unfounded rumours of you being a successful promoter/DJ/distributor type take full hold! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 21:12

Mrswoman is right. It has more to do with what I do for a living. I was given the CD by a friend who was sent a promotional copy.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 21:29

That's fantastic, CS! Thanks for 'fessing up. And that is what I call a friend!

Quick gratuitous plug: PM me for lottery number predictions & fortune telling at very reasonable rates... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2011, 21:50

Hey, I had to beg for it. I think my friend was more concerned that it might get into the wrong hands and then she'd end up in a load of trouble - Not that I'd never copy or lend it to anybody. The last thing I would want is for it to be leaked and ripped off by scum bags who don't pay for music.
I may have this promo but I'd like to point out that I've pre-ordered the album and will also be buying it on Vinyl if it's released... which it should be. Smile
Back to top Go down
Minerva69
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Feb 2011, 16:46

Hi everyone, my first post Very Happy I've noticed on iTunes that BARB has a "bonus track version" with 3 extra live tracks that don't seem to appear on the CD version. Does anyone know if these extra tracks will be on the deluxe version? I haven't pre-ordered yet as I'm not sure I want to pay the extra £3 just for a foil cover! (not keen on digipacks either), but I would get the deluxe if it had the extra tracks.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Feb 2011, 18:51

welcome
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2011, 00:41

I think the bonus tracks are actually videos, so it's not likely they'll be on the deluxe CD.

Also, got an email from BangCD today. Standard edition = 7.99GBP, free shipping to anywhere. CDWow was about the same after currency conversion.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2011, 15:02

Vinyl what I have been waiting for!!

Pre-Order 'build a rocket boys!' On Vinyl

The release date for elbow's fifth studio album is fast approaching - and you can now pre-order a very special vinyl edition of the record only at Elbow's Webstore.

The limited edition 12" heavyweight vinyl, double gatefold record features special foiling detail and includes a unique mp3 download code for all the audio on the vinyl.

Click here to pre- order 'build a rocket boys!' on heavy, heavy wax today.

The album is released on 7th March.

Hear The Album First - Album Playbacks Next Week

If you can't wait until 7th March to hear 'build a rocket boys!', a series of exclusive album playbacks will take place in a handful of UK cities during the last week of February.

You can hear the album in its entirety at the following locations.

Mon 21st February
Glasgow, The Bon Accord
153 North St,
Glasgow
G3 7DA
www.bonaccordweb.co.uk
0141 248 4427

Tues 22nd February
Cardiff, The Promised Land
4 Windsor Place,
Cardiff
CF10 3BX
www.thepromisedlanduk.com
029 2039 8998

Wed 23rd February
Birmingham, The Victoria
48 John Bright Street,
Birmingham
B1 1BN
www.thevictoriabirmingham.co.uk
0121 633 9439

Thurs 24th February
Manchester, The King's Arms
11 Bloom St,
Salford
M3 6AN
0161 832 3605

All these playback events run from 6-8pm. Due to venue capacity restrictions, there is limited space at all events, so early arrival is advisable.

Elbow's UK arena tour starts in Glasgow on 15th March and a second night at the London o2 arena has now been added on 29th March. Click here to buy tickets for all dates.

www.buildarocketboys.com
www.elbow.co.uk

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2011, 16:46

Saw the e-mither about the playback - probably won't go to the one in Salford - went to TSSK playback in Manchester and you could hardly hear the record it was that bustling - so we just got stuck into the initial free beer and then crawled home.......
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2011, 20:38

Yeah playback schmaback!! Vinyl!! Party!
Back to top Go down
Lillybef
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lillybef

Female Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Feb 2011, 11:03

Really fancied going to the playback in Manchester, but theres no way that I would be able to get there for 6pm, though I think Id need to get there alot earlier to get in.
Plus just before payday, skint city.
Will just have to make do with the snippets on Itunes until the 7th March
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Feb 2011, 15:06

Lillybef wrote:

Will just have to make do with the snippets on Itunes until the 7th March

Laughing
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Feb 2011, 15:18

Cestrian Saint wrote:
Hey, I had to beg for it. I think my friend was more concerned that it might get into the wrong hands and then she'd end up in a load of trouble - Not that I'd never copy or lend it to anybody. The last thing I would want is for it to be leaked and ripped off by scum bags who don't pay for music.Smile
Good point. For instance, Beady Eye's album has already leaked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Feb 2011, 17:12

The playback will be fun. I would go along but I'm going to see Ben Folds at Manchester Apollo. I'll listen to my promo of BARB! in the car on my way to the gig. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bennington
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bennington

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Feb 2011, 19:19

Sorry, but I'm quite anoyed that there isn't a London Date.

Every other part of the country is there but not one in London. I'd so go to that aswell. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://thexilexile.co.nr
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Feb 2011, 20:10

I can't make any of the preview dates so a little less annoyed that there isn't one in London. Would have been nice though to have heard the album before the warm up show.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 09:52

Bennington wrote:

Every other part of the country is there but not one in London. I'd so go to that aswell. Sad

It's absolutely rubbbish, I was considering stealing Cestrian Saint's promo copy and setting one up in a London boozer Wink no explanation for it either. Sad
Back to top Go down
@MrIanGibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
@MrIanGibson

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 10:23

The only date I could have made would have been Glasgow. Ans that day I'm in Sheffield on business. Just my luck No
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mriangibson
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 12:28

LongLegs wrote:
Bennington wrote:

It's absolutely rubbbish, I was considering stealing Cestrian Saint's promo copy and setting one up in a London boozer Wink no explanation for it either. Sad

Maybe because south gets some live versions in cambridge the following week? plus the Brighton tour date, maybe easier to be more intimate than 02?
Quite looking forward to hearing some of the new songs live before hearing the album.
Would you believe the very first time I heard '0ne day like this' as live at Porchester Hall it was a lovely earworm for me briefly Wink lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
citizen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 14:11

pre-ordered the vinyl
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri 18 Feb 2011, 22:50

U.S. physical release date: April 12th
Digital release date: March 8th
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat 19 Feb 2011, 03:07

The iTunes preview is now available on YouTube - 30 seconds per song or thereabouts.

First listen: Doesn't sound bad... some unusual sounds in there, but that's Elbow for you.
Second listen: Adore Lippy Kids and really like Neat Little Rows...(knew this before listening for the first time obviously) but.... With Love is also really catchy.
Third listen: Who is the old man on what I presume to be "The Birds: Reprise"? Whoever he is, or if it's Guy with a posh accent and a voice changer - LOL! -....it's marvellous, and haunting, and....seriously wanting this album now.
Fourth listen: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl growing on me.... sounds a little like Jose Gonzalez's version of Heartbeats from the Sony ad... loving the more sombre numbers, and I am LOVING the hand-clapping in the upper-tempo tracks too...seriously getting impatient.
Fifth listen: WHY ISN'T IT MARCH 7TH YET?!?!?!!?!?!?

I can't get the melody from "With Love" out of my head and I've only heard 30 seconds of it! I love Guy's vocals in this too. The more I listen to "The Birds: Reprise" the more fascinated I become... it's got a potentially devastating emotional quality to it....I just NEED to hear this properly. NOW! And as for the first track... "The Birds" - you can hear the melody that will be echoed in the reprise but it's groovier....younger...has a sort of going-round-in-circles-seamless-delirium vibe.....and Guy said that if anything, the album sounds most similar to Asleep in the Back.... that opening track does sound quite Any Day Now-ish, styllistically, at any rate.

As for the rest of the album, I think it's something very different again, going on that preview. I may be proven wrong when I listen to it in its entirety, but I am confident there is no hint, generally, of rehash here. Elbow are the most inventive group of musicians in current music as far as I am concerned.

Lippy Kids is just immense. An absolutely stunning ode to adolescence, the freedom, the genesis of all life-time possibility, from a man in his late 30s looking back without regret, but with a little sadness perhaps, that while it can be remembered, it can't actually be re-lived.

Neat Little Rows took a while to grow on me because it seemed almost a bit too.......ordinary?.....for Elbow. Is that a fair first impression? It had echoes of Snow Patrol and Kings of Leon....musically....but I don't think that now, actually. Elbow's music is so organic that it actually DOES grow, and change, with every listen. The manically-stirring guitar is more conventional rock fodder, but Garvey himself, and the da, da, da, da, da.....the almost absence of coolness in that repetition....harking back to 60s and 70s pop, actually renders the song a mish mash of various influences, all carefully iced with deliciously-original Elbow frosting.

This is my first post, btw, so.....hello to all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat 19 Feb 2011, 08:04

I think you get the gold medal for the longest "first" post. Welcome to the Forum!
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun 20 Feb 2011, 01:37

elbowismymuse wrote:

Neat Little Rows took a while to grow on me because it seemed almost a bit too.......ordinary?.....for Elbow.

I think it's fairly clear single fodder, a more radio-friendly track to follow in the vein of Fallen Angel => Forget Myself => Grounds (in this case pitching somewhere between FA's laid-back groove & the more urgent FM/GFD). Elbow could do "ordinary" if they wanted to, but as you say they're much more interesting than that, so they give us more.

Cracking first post by the way - analysing 30 second snaps? You'll fit right in Wink

Welcome aboard and dive on in Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

build a rocket boys!
Page 9 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next