elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

build a rocket boys!

Go down 
+68
The DaddyO 44
Quent1n
Cozzer
imalittlebeast
debut
yesman
Nile
leespoons
jEUR
mitchy
Boney-Crisp
nellie
BigAL
andy_landy
scotochromagen
Mr Woman
Fancy Pants
Ifordy
NeonChoir
Kim
Eag
elbowismymuse
Lillybef
Minerva69
Cestriansteve
torkidlx
Bennington
hilaryg
mouxlaloulouda
citizen
takemeanywhere
Trains Are...Mint
allyngibson
Steveissteve
AyannaD
ukkonen
The Final Track
CrisalidaBoy
Jones
oneofthethree
MagicalTrevor
heshofcheese
Niftium
ChrissieInFL
wozza
evilpixie
sparky
Kayleigh
ElbowFreak
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
WOBLEwoble
Glendarian
Lynne
errant
lucky with disease
Hotblack
My Bury Vest
Kiresg
Dano
ticky
natalia
HattyMarris
mrswoman
@MrIanGibson
LongLegs
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 17:13

mouxlaloulouda wrote:
A video for 'Open arms'! Surprised
http://www.nme.com/nme-video/elbow/813429430001
Nice!

The chorus is a lovely anthemic singalong. And the rest is beautiful. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 18:19

natalia wrote:
Maybe 7 digital will take my money?

I know their US site is different to the UK one.
http://www.7digital.com/Search

I use them quite a lot here in the UK but I'm not sure about international purchases though ? - Hope it works out for you.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 18:27

nice vid, great track too ! Cool
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 18:54

I don't want to ruin it for the more patient of us who are waiting until the official release, but I have to say this: "The River" is absolutely beautiful. It's like BARB's version of "Puncture Repair," but distinctly different and with the addition of a choir. I love you
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 19:48

Kim wrote:
Managed to chat to Mark after last night's show and he thinks they'll lose out on number 1 album to Adele!!

I've got my copy today and I'd love to open it (but it's for Marion's birthday tomorrow) as I want to check where the backing for Open Arms was recorded. They asked the crowd at Wembley Arena to sing it but maybe that happened at other venues too. If it was Wembley, I was hoping to claim my second No.1 album cheers
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 20:05

mouxlaloulouda wrote:
A video for 'Open arms'! Surprised
http://www.nme.com/nme-video/elbow/813429430001

I love you

I just love this band. I mean, I love them so effin' much. That's really all I can say - other than, I cannot wait to see this one done live at the MEN. And thanks for posting that link, mouxlaloulouda!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 20:11

I can't tell you how NERVOUS I am about Monday when I buy the album.

I SOOOOO don't want to get disappointed.....as Chrissie has said above, my love for them is growing and growing - I'm really buzzing off the comments from the Junction gig !
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 15:45

You won't be (disappointed) honest! Mine came today and I'm just loving it in all its beaufitul, emotional, varied, deep glory.

As wonderful as ever. Very Happy I love you
Back to top Go down
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 16:07

I just got home from work and was over the moon to find both copies from HMV waiting for me Very Happy

I'm listening as I speak and I love it! I'm still too excited to pick favourites as yet - which would also be a bit silly on first listen - and I'm only up to Open Arms (what a beautiful song) but I can safely say... it's fantastic Exclamation

I really can't wait to see them now, I got my MEN tickets in the post on Thursday but there's no sign of my Sheffield ones yet.

Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 16:16

Anybody got the deluxe version yet? Any differences worth the extra cash? Or is it just a digipack?
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 16:42

I got it aswell as the standard version; it is indeed a digipack Smile
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 17:11

Er... sorry to be really dull here, but what is a digipak?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 17:17

It's when they put CDs in cardboard instead of plastic, and then charge more for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 17:21

damn.... should have pre-ordered from Amazon after all - and might have had it in my hands...
i keep logging in to 7 digital - but it keeps saying your pre-order is available on the 7th.....
looks like a late night on Sunday - or an early morning monday to download and burn off Laughing
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 17:26

MagicalTrevor wrote:
It's when they put CDs in cardboard instead of plastic, and then charge more for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 17:56

We've played the album several times now. Good work boys and well done Craig for making Mrs Pixie's dad's old stereo sound so good. Shame you replaced our vocals with the Halle Youth Choir but we forgive you. Still think ours was better though! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 18:09

Just had my first listen. Immensely satisfying, warm, multi-textured and multi-layered; grandeur without grandiosity. Grace without the pressure.

First thought was how much "Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl" complements "Scattered Black and Whites".

If the latter is a reflection on childhood memories, it seems to me the new song explores similar areas but this time fast-forwarded to the teenage years; "Scattered Polaroids", if you will.

Also struck me that maybe there's a recognition on the album that the "black and white" generation have all passed on now. I wonder if the old man's voice used on "The Birds (Reprise)" is intended in some way to represent that generation?

It's on the iPod. That's my listening week sorted. And remember: Fingers are for pointing at the sky.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 18:24

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Anybody got the deluxe version yet? Any differences worth the extra cash? Or is it just a digipack?

I tried asking before pre-ordering but no-one knew so I went for the "deluxe" version in the end - of course I don't know what the ordinary one is like, but the digipak has a lyric booklet which I imagine is just like the one you'd get in an ordinary jewel case. No other difference as far as I can see. Crying or Very sad

But the quality of the music and just having it has soon made me forget any annoyance. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 18:56

Yeah, to be honest the digipack version is literally just a nice card case with a booklet inside the sleeve section - a booklet that is the same as the ordinary CD booklet.

There's is no need to have both, but I thought i would be nice to have them both anyway. If you don't have the digipack version, you're not missing out on anything.
Back to top Go down
scotochromagen
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 19:48

on about 7th listen, like all elbow elbow albums they need time. Went through a stage of semi indifference to some of it, but now it's all fitting together like a beautiful puzzle. OK i've had a beer and me footy team won today, but right now the love is strong for this one....over and out
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 20:33

I agree, disappointed in the 'Deluxe' version. love Oliver's drawings, I thought there were videos, or did I just make that up?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 20:41

LongLegs wrote:
I agree, disappointed in the 'Deluxe' version. love Oliver's drawings, I thought there were videos, or did I just make that up?

The videos (The River, Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl & Dear Friends) are on the itunes "bonus track version".
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Mar 2011, 21:28

Love: The Birds, Jesus..., Open Arms
Need more time: The River, High Ideals, Dear Friends

How's that for a quick review?!
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 00:09

to those of you with the album in your grubby little paws: I'm very jealous!

I'm waiting on the vinyl, which I think someone said was delayed, though I don't recall any emails... and even if it DID ship on time the postal service in our village is decidedly second rate so I wouldn't expect to see it for a few days anyway... argh!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 00:26

Guy tweeted this earlier in regard to the vinyl:

http://twitter.com/#!/Guy_Garvey/statuses/44050641076760576
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

build a rocket boys!
Page 13 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next