elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Abbey Road CD/DVD

Go down 
+35
nikkijaydee
bluejayway
ChrissyBoy
gazzmatazz
My Bury Vest
Grant
mrswoman
nellie
anydaynow
sundaygirl
disposablehero
sparky
hilaryg
yesman
Glendarian
Emma G
MagicalTrevor
Eag
al
ElbowFreak
Fancy Pants
Stockhaus
ukkonen
ChrissieInFL
heshofcheese
jEUR
TamedLamia
lucky with disease
fadeupyoursmile
Jones
evilpixie
thisismusic
Hotblack
Misspelt Yoof
helicon1
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009, 17:41

I watched it today after reading about it on here. Jupp said that his scrotum shrunk during the high bit of tower crane driver. Although I did prefer Guy's 'did you do a poo?' better!!

Can't wait for Elbow the musical especially Guy doing the splits!!
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009, 17:45

Ha ha, no, the fit people in fat suits which they take off at the end!

Love this band!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009, 17:47

So has everyon's copy finally arrivrd? And Nellie, did you get your Bridgewater tickets?

Is all right as rain with the elbowies???
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009, 20:37

sundaygirl wrote:
So has everyon's copy finally arrivrd? And Nellie, did you get your Bridgewater tickets?

Is all right as rain with the elbowies???

Neutral Sad Crying or Very sad

Mine still hasn't arrived. I finally managed to get in touch with the distributor, and they said they'd dispatched it on Tuesday, going to give it till Monday (again!) and try at the local post office delivery place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009, 20:39

Oh, what a drag!!!

I really really hope it arrives soon!!!
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 15:38

Hi Sundaygirl, tix never did arrive but phoned the B/W box office and had a good long chat with the guy there. He has assured me I can go and pick them up whenever I like (not had chance to get into M/cr yet tho), told him I was prepared to resort to violence if I find anyone in my seat. He said they are aware of scumbags selling the tix on ebay but they can't do anything as there is no legistration at the moment to stop them, he sounded as fed up as the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 15:44

Well that's a relief for you anyway, at least you know you'll get your ticket eventually.

But what is it with the postal service and Elbow goods? Our tickets never show up, neither does Hes's CD/DVD...
Weird....
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 16:45

cheers cheers cheers

IT'S FINALLY ARRIVED!!!

....watching now.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 16:47

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!

Don't forget the band commentary! And don't forget to enter the contest!!

Party!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 16:51

sundaygirl wrote:
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!

Don't forget the band commentary! And don't forget to enter the contest!!

Party!

Oh, I've got the band commentary on, it's hilarious! Will enter the competition.

And thanks to you and Thisismusic for pointing me in the right direction with the contact addresses. Beer
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 17:08

ENJOY!!!!
bounce
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 19:33

Jesus, finally. Enjoy Hesh!
Thumbs Up!

Last edited by bluejayway on Wed 22 Apr 2009, 19:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
moz
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 09:32

Hello. My 1st post! How exciting!!! Smile

Unfortunately, it comes with bad tidings....i STILL havent received my BOXSET!!!! Should i, just, give up?

Any e-mail addresses or phone numbers that havent been mentioned on this forum would be greatly appreciated!

thank you.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 09:56

moz wrote:

Unfortunately, it comes with bad tidings....i STILL havent received my BOXSET!!!! Should i, just, give up?

Any e-mail addresses or phone numbers that havent been mentioned on this forum would be greatly appreciated!

thank you.

Crying or Very sad

Don't give up! It really is worth the wait.

Did you order from Trinity Street (Elbow's original supplier) ? If so, try contacting Stu at loud@loudclothing.com as mentioned further back in the thread. They took over the distribution when Trinity St went bust. The delay in my case, appeared to be down to them losing my address.

Good luck, oh, and welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
moz
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 14:13

heshofcheese wrote:
moz wrote:

thank you.

Crying or Very sad

Don't give up! It really is worth the wait.

Did you order from Trinity Street (Elbow's original supplier) ? If so, try contacting Stu at loud@loudclothing.com as mentioned further back in the thread. They took over the distribution when Trinity St went bust. The delay in my case, appeared to be down to them losing my address.

Good luck, oh, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks....i tried them this weekend. So...fingers crossed Smile
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 00:57

It will be well worth the wait. The director's cut on the DVD is fab. I constantly have mine on in the car or on my MP3 player.

Worth every penny.

Hope it turns up soon!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 01:18

mine finally arrived today I love you
Im not as proud of any of my other CDs or LPs like I am about owning this CD/DVD. it is pure perfection.
I dunno how many times i've listen to Towercrane, still gives me goosebumps.
still have not had the time to explore everything onthe dvd.
I love you
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009, 05:47

Had my DVD since Day one but only last night did I watch the Directors Cut and there was some funny moments, was great to here what certain songs mean to certain band members ie. how Guy had to mentally block out his girlfriend standing just yards away when singing Mirrorball, so he could concentrate fully. Was interesting to hear how nervous the band were about doing the performance, aswell. Made me chuckle hearing the constant noise of beer bottles !! Give me Beer
Back to top Go down
matchfacts
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 14:19

disposablehero wrote:
The box says it's presented in 16:9 widescreen, but it's actually 2.35:1, i.e. wider than a widescreen TV.
I think it is 16:9 letterboxed to show a 2.35:1 image which means that the tops of heads are chopped off, something I don't remember from the red button transmission.

Can anyone confirm this or know why this may have been done? I think it looks awful, though sounds great!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 15:23

I agree that it looks bad. It's been filmed on video, not film, so the choice of an aspect ratio which is more associated with cinema is baffling.

Still great to watch though, but would have preferred more separation of the orchestra in the rears for the 5.1 mix, and the lead vocals in the centre speaker.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
matchfacts
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009, 17:51

If the camera shots were framed for 2.35:1 it wouldn't be as bad! I really think they've just blanked the top and bottom of the original 16:9 recordings and I have no idea why.
Back to top Go down
matchfacts
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2009, 11:50

Fiction Records have cleared up my question.

The cropping is intentional as the band wanted a more cinematic effect on the dvd.

I wish they'd discussed this with the director in advance and had the video recorded using a suitable "shoot to protect" framing so that both were acceptable. In my opinion the cinematic effect is ruined because of the poor framing which wouldn't have been apparent had it been shot in the preferred ratio.

Anyway, the audio more than makes up for what's on screen!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2009, 12:01

It's an interesting point because I can't help thinking if you want a cinematic effect, then it needs to be shot on film, not video.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 19:30

OK - so it's taken me a fair few months to watch the DVD - I've only just replaced my old and knackered DVD player and have spent the weekend catching up on Elbowie stuff. God the director's cut is funny - I loved the bit about the ferry races and Jupp's scrotum!! It's almost as if they weren't expecting anyone to watch it. I certainly never watch those bits on film dvd's. I had forgotten how good the Abbey Road concert was.
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 22:24

Yes I caught up once again and watched last week. It reminds me of when we had snow back in February. I couldn't stop playing it on the BBC red button. I played Mirrorball constantly.

About a week later I booked Newport tickets and the rest is history........ leading right up to the Halle. Sorry if I've waivered somewhat! Memories.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abbey Road CD/DVD   Abbey Road CD/DVD - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Abbey Road CD/DVD
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next