elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dang, I forgot how good that song is!

Go down 
+10
Mr_K
Stockhaus
heshofcheese
My Bury Vest
redliz2
Mr Woman
Jones
ChrissyBoy
neil68
ChrissieInFL
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Empty
PostSubject: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 14:02

I do this all the time...the radio plays a tune I've not thought to listen to in a long time, and I remember how much it kicks ass. Usually it's by a band or artist who I don't listen to very often - not a guilty pleasure, just a song that went completely off my radar and then showed up out of the blue to pleasantly surprise me.

This morning, it was Atomic, by Blondie. Effing fabulous groove on that song! Heard it in the car, then when I got home I dug it out and played it about 5 times in a row!

And the other day, I heard Love and Anger by Kate Bush. She's not one of my all-time faves, but I heard that song and kinda went "Shazam!" I'd completely forgotten about it but it's a great track.
Back to top Go down
neil68
fallen angel
fallen angel
neil68

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 14:48

Atomic is deffo one of my top 3 Blondie tunes.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 18:09

There's a band called Hue and Cry who had a fantastic album out about 1987.
I really liked them at the time and the biggest single was probably Labour of Love. Heard this in the supermarket when i was doing the weekly shop, and had to stop myself singing !

album was Seduced and Abandoned. wil have to go see if i can get in on mp3 now !!

Edit. Just previwed all the tracks, forgot how brilliant this whole album is. Cool
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 21:44

I just finished reading a book called 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee' and in it an old Indian chant called 'Horse Nation' gets mentioned.
I immediately recognised the words/lyrics!!!
Never realised that the old Cult classic erm... well... 'Horse Nation' was a native American chant!

Anyway, my point is, it inspired me to play it again and as Chrissie says, I went: Damn that's good!
Also bringing me back to 'Spiritwalker' which is even better!!!

Well, my neighbours sure have become acquainted with The Cult the past few days! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 14:01

Just occasionally, the "shuffle" button on the iPod throws up a cast-iron gem (all-too-often it's some half-forgotten lump of album filler that you immediately skip).

Luckily, today's random shuffle selection threw up a beauty for me to enjoy...Tiny Tears by Tindersticks.

Dang, I forgot how good that song is. Miserable, but good.

EDIT: The shuffle has been kind to me today....it followed that up with "Starlings". What are the chances of that happening?
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 16:40

ChrissyBoy wrote:
I really liked them at the time and the biggest single was probably Labour of Love. Heard this in the supermarket when i was doing the weekly shop, and had to stop myself singing !

album was Seduced and Abandoned. wil have to go see if i can get in on mp3 now !!

Edit. Just previwed all the tracks, forgot how brilliant this whole album is. Cool

oh I remember them ..they had some tunes! .. I loved the song "Violently" Smile
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeThu 01 Oct 2009, 06:38

redliz2 wrote:
ChrissyBoy wrote:

oh I remember them ..they had some tunes! .. I loved the song "Violently" Smile

'Looking for Linda' anyone ? certainly a band that could be filed under 'Guilty Pleasures....' afro
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeFri 02 Oct 2009, 06:28

The Crystal Ship by Grandaddy - Wow ! not heard it in ages, listen to that and stop yourself going green with envy, Flaming Lips fans !!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 10:26

A Sort of Homecoming - U2

Just heard it in the car.
What an amazing song! Quality by the bucket loads. I love you
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 17:44

Agreed !
Think we spoke about this before somehwere - The Unforgettable Fire album is fab
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 20:30

Agreed. U2's best LP, in my opinion.

And Jones is right a A Sort of Homecoming is great to sing along to. bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 20:38

ChrissyBoy wrote:
Agreed !
Think we spoke about this before somehwere - The Unforgettable Fire album is fab

Actually, I think we talked about how fab The Joshua Tree was in the 'What song always makes you cry'-thread...Also an absolutely amazing album.
They are definitely my two favourite U2 albums, although I think the Unforgettable Fire probably has the edge for me. (Excuse the pun! Razz )
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 14:03

Oooh, nice one Jones - love A Sort of Homecoming! Thumbs Up!

My iPod shuffle served me up another forgotten gem this morning:

Teenage Fanclub - Star Sign

I need to get that "Best Of" out and give it a spin; they had some great tunes.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 27 Oct 2009, 15:05

Two more "Dang!" moments yesterday...

Gomez - Rock & Roll Alibi
and
Big Star - The Ballad of El Goodo

Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Headph10

EDIT: Got the name of the Gomez song wrong - should be Rhythm & Blues Alibi. Goes to show you how long it's been since I heard it!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Nov 2009, 22:41

smoke on the water today on the radio,
its just one of those tunes that i never really listen to ebcause its so.. well killed over the years
but hearing it again just like that on the radio it made me think how bloody good it is. woop woop
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009, 14:45

I forgot how much fun it is to listen to a few of my favorite Christmas songs -particularly Bruce Springsteen covering "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", and Leon Redbone & Dr. John teaming up for "Frosty the Snowman". Both have a really joyous vibe - especially the one by Leon Redbone, who I just love!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeFri 08 Jan 2010, 07:34

Setting Sun - Howling Bells.

WHAT.A.VOICE Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 11:31

EMI - Sex Pistols

If I can't change your mind - Sugar

Not heard them in ages and a lovely surprise thanks to 6Music !! cyclops
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 12:19

Gosh Sugar. Not heard Copper Blue for years. Bob Mould, for all that he's a dour old thing, has made some cracking music in the last 30 years - and he's not yet 50! Have you heard his 1990 solo album, Black Sheets of Rain? That's one dark, angry record.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 12:27

Only got Cooper Blue mate, bought it when I was an impressionable waif buying NME and it's really good.
Not got anything else by Mould or Husker Du either.....

'Black Sheets of Rain' - great title, one for me to have a butchers at methinks..........
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 08:02

Into my arms - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Must have been, literally, the 3rd time I've ever heard it.

Stunning, touching and just beautiful.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 09:37

Aisha - Death In Vegas feat. Iggy Pop

Corkin'. afro
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 15:58

Good Lord, hadn't heard this tune in ages, but it's a great song for a sunny spring day:

Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug 2010, 13:26

As big a Beatles fan as I am, I don't really listen to a lot of Paul McCartney's solo stuff. But after hearing this one on the radio this past weekend, I had to admit..."DANG! I forgot how good that song is!"

Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 15:50

Wide Open Space - Mansun.

Funny how some bands just fall out of your consciousness for no apparent reason. Great track off their very good debut. Never really got the recognition it deserved - perhaps the right band at the wrong time. Thanks Last FM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dang, I forgot how good that song is!   Dang, I forgot how good that song is! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dang, I forgot how good that song is!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next