elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spotify - any good?

Go down 
+5
leespoons
mrswoman
fadeupyoursmile
Misspelt Yoof
Mr_K
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Spotify - any good? Empty
PostSubject: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 15:17

Anyone here use Spotify?

I am wondering if it is worth the £10 per month fee?
Are there any glaring omissions regarding musical styles? Is it just rock and pop or is world music, jazz etc covered?
How reliable is it?

I am wanting the ad free version because I want to use the mobile app to stream music to my phone mainly at work, but also at home from time to time.

Does Spotify signify the end to CD buying apart from those bands you really love?

So many questions - anyone got any advice, opinions etc.
Cheers

PS - also, what's the sound quality like?

Last edited by Mr_K on Tue 27 Apr 2010, 16:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 15:21

Mr_K wrote:
Does Spotify signify the end to CD buying apart from those bands you really love?
No. It's made me discover/buy a lot more.

In answer to the question, I've never subscribed so couldn't comment on the worth, I've never had any reliability issues, and the library is huge with all bases covered.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 17:29

I use it a lot to listen to albums i used to love, but now can't find and making big playlists!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 19:57

Wee bit OT, but all the Spotify 'news' hoorah today about linking Facebook & iTunes so that you can share music & playlists with friends seems a bit after the fact. Last.fm were doing that ages ago.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010, 20:50

funnily enough there was a thread about this today on my other online home. I have it on all the time at work, although I've never used the ad-free version - no need as I don't have an iphone, I'm always online and the ads don't bother me. I sometimes use we7 if something's not been released on spotify yet, but they do seem to be a lot more on the ball with new releases lately (for example the new Futureheads album - released Monday and available on Spotify straight away).

And like Misspelt Yoof I'm buying a lot more music due to Spotify - I've purchased more music in the last 12 months than in the previous five years.
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010, 10:51

I've been using Spotify (the free version with adverts) for the last 12 months for the following two reasons:

1. To check out new stuff that I've heard about but want to try before I invest
2. To listen to old stuff that I've got on vinyl in the attic (Aztec Camera's debut yesterday)

I use it mainly as a research tool rather than a replacement for my bought music collection and all in all, a combination of Spotify and Myspace sites has meant I've bought considerably more music and been to more gigs in the last 12 months , so I don't think it's killing anything.

Can't comment on quality as I've never had it hooked up to any HiFi kit.

There's a lot on there and it's catching up all the time but you do get a few surprises. (If you search for "Arcade Fire" it asks you if you meant "Armada Fine". For a long time, if you looked for "Besnard Lakes" it asked you if you meant "Bastard Lakes" and when (out of curiosity!!) you said yes, it couldn't find anything. Very Happy

If you search for the Bastard Lakes now, it asks if you want the Besnards, so they're finally on the map!

It's good but as an addition rather than a replacement.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010, 12:15

Oh, if anyone wants to add my Spotify profile, I believe I'm misspeltyoof. It looks a great way to share recommendations, although, I've not had a chance to try since upgrading last night to be honest.
Back to top Go down
hacmac
fallen angel
fallen angel
hacmac

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010, 18:00

sounds interesting. especially since last.fm abolished full length songs from its site.

but germany is not (yet) supported on spotify. tough luck for me, i guess... Sad
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010, 13:08

hacmac wrote:
sounds interesting. especially since last.fm abolished full length songs from its site.
Granted, there are some cut-down tracks on Last.fm if you go directly to an artist's page there, but (in the UK) if you listen to neighbourhood or a specific friend's 'radio'/stream, you get full-length tracks - and no ads.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
hacmac
fallen angel
fallen angel
hacmac

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010, 13:53

yes, the radio streams on the german site of last.fm still deliver full length tracks, too. my problem is, that until last month you could listen to a *specific* track in full length. well... some tracks, at least. and now they ditched, what i thought was one of the coolest features.
and spotify appears to be quiet an elegant piece of software to listen to complete songs before buying them.

but don't get me wrong - i still love last.fm!
i re-activated my profile only two weeks ago. in fact, i'm trying to convert all my friends to last.fm at the moment. Smile

so, if anybody wants to take a look and say hello... Wink
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010, 14:18

I've read a lot about Spotify and it sounds quite amazing. Wish I could get it here in the US but no such luck just yet.
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010, 14:36

I got Spotify when it was spanking new. As Spotify is swedish me and all my mates got it as soon as it was released. It wasn't until two months ago I started paying for Spotify Premium as I got my new Android phone. And I love it. I think Spotify is brilliant

I love the fact that most music is on there (no Beatles or Metallica though, they are not to keen on sharing their music) I always use Spotify to look up artists that are playing at festivals. (like this years Glasto, many small bands I dont know about)

everyday there is more artists and bands being added to the library.

If you got the Premium version the sound quality is better than the free-version.

oh and if anyone wants an invite to use spotify-free, I got 3 more so just give me a shout and i'll email you the invite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spotify - any good?   Spotify - any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spotify - any good?
Page 1 of 1