elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapel Club - they're quite good actually.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Chapel Club - they're quite good actually. Empty
PostSubject: Chapel Club - they're quite good actually.   Chapel Club - they're quite good actually. Icon_minitimeTue 08 Feb 2011, 09:58

Just listening to new album "Palace" and I think it is quite good. For a start the lead singer is a dead ringer for Ian McCulloch - which to me is A Good Thing.

Chapel Club will be bracketed with White Lies and Editors, no doubt, but their sonic palette seems much more varied, subtlety is not something to be afraid of, it seems. It's not just the voice - the band remind me of the Bunnymen more than once on the record, as well as perhaps My Bloody Valentine. OK, the more generic moments do sound like Editors (bad) or Glasvegas (better), but this happens much less than I expected. They also appear to be one of those bands that manage to sound very different to different ears - The Scotsman's favourable review called them "Simple Minds merging with The Strokes fronted by Morrissey"!

Anyway, a much more enjoyable record than I expected, and worth a listen - it's on Spotify.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Chapel Club - they're quite good actually.   Chapel Club - they're quite good actually. Icon_minitimeTue 08 Feb 2011, 10:25

Yep!! Absolutely bloomin marvellous, I have been listening non stop to this album for a week now, I adore The Shore and Oh Maybe I. Definitely my favourite current album. I agree with the Scotsman more than sinking them into the Editors hole, they remind me of Exit Calm a little too.
I think they have a lot more to give, there is definitely something special there.

It's on soundcloud too:
http://soundcloud.com/eastcityrecords/sets/chapel-club-palace-deluxe-edition/

They also have a tour coming up which I can't wait for!
http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/144241/Chapel_Club.html

They're also supporting Suede in their three night residency at Brixton Academy in May.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Chapel Club - they're quite good actually.   Chapel Club - they're quite good actually. Icon_minitimeTue 08 Feb 2011, 11:26

LongLegs wrote:
I agree with the Scotsman more than sinking them into the Editors hole
Great description isn't it? The trouble is that 5 guys, dressing sombrely, singing angsty songs with guitars are always going to be lumped in with Editors et al, and to be fair, a couple of songs do have that vibe. As you say though, "Palace" is a really good album, and there is a sense of adventure in this record which hints at better things to come. Fingers crossed.

He still sounds more like McCulloch than Morrissey though!
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Chapel Club - they're quite good actually.   Chapel Club - they're quite good actually. Icon_minitimeWed 09 Feb 2011, 08:39

This album has had a hell of a lot or rotation in Chez Yoof over the last few weeks. It's superb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapel Club - they're quite good actually.   Chapel Club - they're quite good actually. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapel Club - they're quite good actually.
Page 1 of 1