elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's

Go down 
+7
fadeupyoursmile
TamedLamia
Leo
Hotblack
ElbowFreak
al
My Bury Vest
11 posters
AuthorMessage
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 11:27

Hi peeps, wondering what your listening choices are.........

Personally, 6music (when George Lamb isn't on) is a great staion with some great variations dependant on which DJ is on. Gideon Coe (RIP from mid morning slot), Steve Lamacq, Shaun Keaveney amd Pete Mitchell (briefly) among my favourites.

Another absolute gem of a local station which is now under different owners, hence the complete dross that is now being played on it, was The Revolution which was based in Oldham, all the old DJ's have left, Cottee, Phil Beckett etc, I first heard Glasvegas and fell in love with Fleet Foxes through The Rev. i believe some of them have started up Radio Republic on t'internet.

Also, though I don't listen to his radio show on Radio 1 am a huge Zane Lowe fan, loved his interview with Morrissey on MTV a few months ago, yes it was slightly fawning, but there was a great mutual respect that you could sense between the pair of them.

Sport wise, talkSPORT, Ian Wright, Adrian Durham, Hawksbee and Jacobs, listened to it avidly since it's birth nearly 10 years ago, I'm guessing.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 12:03

Three words - Adam and Joe Wink

And Shaun Keaveney, Jon Richardson at the weekend, Russell Howard when he was on, Danny Wallace when he fills in - 6music is cracking. Largely responsible for all the new music I've heard in the past few years. Should probably give props to the Finest Hour too, lost count of how many songs I love now because of that show Very Happy

All the local stations got a bit of a rehaul, didn't they? I know our local one changed, but to be honest it was always pretty naff!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 12:55

Well, I am not from England... but FM4 is an Austrian radio station and I love it! Most of the time they speak english and the music is mostly Indie. Just great!
http://fm4.orf.at/
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 14:19

I don't listen to a lot of radio. The only thing I really find myself switching on is the Radcliffe and Maconie Show on R2 8pm-10pm Mon-Thurs. Great music, great humour and great guests and live sessions. That and The Finest Hour are all I listen to musicwise and then usually on iPlayer. I search for new stuff I've read about on Spotify.

The only other stuff I listen to is R4 - I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Just A Minute, The Now Show and The News Quiz.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 16:30

Obviously I love Guy's show, and I am a great fan of radio4 (for a teenager), but for me, the best radio show ever was the XFM Ricky Gervais Show - with Gervais, Merchant, and Pilkington. Just the sheer lack of organisation, charisma, skill, and qualty makes it brilliant. They literally couldnt give a shit. BUT, it is truly HILARIOUS. You can follow the birth of Karl; from an idiot, to an imbecile.
And, you can listen to tham all @ www.rickygervaisshow.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 18:31

There are a few good stations in Berlin:
www.radioeins.de (kinda like a namesake from radio 1) (plays pop, rock and indie and THEY LIKE ELBOW!)
http://www.motor.de/motorfm (mostly indie, but also a lot synthi stuff)
and sometimes www.star-fm.de (mostly hard rock)

But I mostly listen to internet radio like last.fm and of course to Garve's finest hour on BBC.
And noticed once more, that british radio is better than german radio. Maybe it's the music taste of the people...Britain has Coldplay. Germany only cheap copies of Coldplay... Rolling Eyes
When I was in hospital I watched some TV after long time and -oh wonder- MTV and Viva played music. But after short time I was bored. Only around 9 in the morning german time MTV played more rocky stuff and I saw even hard folks like System of a down!
And another thing about german radio; radioeins is a station comparable with the BBC, it's not a private station but still they play advertisings! Annoying Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 21:18

al wrote:
Three words - Adam and Joe Wink

And Shaun Keaveney, Jon Richardson at the weekend, Russell Howard when he was on, Danny Wallace when he fills in - 6music is cracking. Largely responsible for all the new music I've heard in the past few years. Should probably give props to the Finest Hour too, lost count of how many songs I love now because of that show Very Happy

All the local stations got a bit of a rehaul, didn't they? I know our local one changed, but to be honest it was always pretty naff!

Dot!

I am a born and raised listener of radio 4... The morning show gives me my daily dose of news while i get ready for work. The Shipping Forecast signaled that tea would be immanent when i was a kid and then we'd sit and listen to the 6.30 comedy while we ate tea. I used to have a regular baking session to the Saturday afternoon play. I love it.
Also a bit of a 7 digital fan. Their sci-fi late night plays are amazing!
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 20:32

love the shipping forecast, I still find it very hard to think of a world without John Peel in it
Back to top Go down
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jul 2009, 10:04

Radio 2 girl me. Have it on all day at work and I adore Radcliffe and Maconie. Love the stuff they play but also the silliness of it. My husband even admitted he was listening to them in the car the other day and he's usually a die hard Talksport fan!!

I am also a bit partial to a bit of Ken Bruce, especially Popmaster which I was brought up on with my Dad listening to it and telling us to be quiet while the quiz was on!!

Can't stand Wogan or Steve Wright though. Love the sound of their own voices waaaaaay too much!
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul 2009, 10:06

Listening to more and more 6 music and loving it. Getting fed up with Radio 2 - used to listen to it on way to work (1 hour journey) Early shows much as Sarah what ever her last name is I hate - she is so opinionated and narrow minded.

still tune into Chris Evans as I drive home from work. But not any more. FINISHED YESTERDAY - yipeeeeeeeee
Party!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 22:22

Yay, congratulations WOBLE Woble!

Mine's a pretty mixed bag with a few already mentioned, but in no particular order:

6 Music - Shaun Keaveny, Steve Lamacq, Mark Riley, that Garve bloke
Radio 2 - Radcliffe & Maconie, Chris Evans, Ken Bruce (Definitely no TOG or Steve Wright fan either, Munchkin)
Radio 4 - Clue & occasional Book of the Week
Radio 7 - Old Clue(!), ISIRTA and all radio comedy from Round the Horne era onwards, right up to 'A Series of Psychotic Episodes' from Miriam Elia.
Various Greek radio stations - traditional music
Radio London - Danny Baker

Love radio, I do. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 22:46

I do love radio 7 but the children's hour in the morning scares me half to death every time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's   Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Radio stations/Favourite DJ's
Page 1 of 1