elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !

Go down 
+3
TamedLamia
fadeupyoursmile
My Bury Vest
7 posters
AuthorMessage
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 12:11

Hi there fellow foodies or not !

Thought I'd start a thread on eateries that float our boats !!

Went to the Peacock Rooms that is the fine dining restaurant within The Crimble Hotel in Bamford nr Rochdale in Lancashire a few weeks back for my folks 40 year wedding anniversary bash and the food was excellent along with the service.

One of the starters was a spiced tomato soup that was devilishly spicy that had a big kick of chilli and a defined taste of celery, it was majestic. Was like a wolf in sheeps clothing that soup !!

The main of a very meaty textured monkfish with salsa verde was truly fantastic, it was the first time I'd tried it and the combination worked really well, one to try again without a shadow of a doubt !!

Due to finances it was the first time I'd ate out at somewhere top notch for some time and at around £24 I think, for 5 courses was decent value, on a Sunday.

More Tea Vicar ? Drunk
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 12:53

It's not a restaurant, but our local deli makes the nicest sandwiches i've had the pleasure to wrap my laughing gear around!
Home baked bread, locally sourced produce, fresh and interesting mixes of ingredients, and horse radish that'll clear your sinuses!!
There's also the River Cottage canteen in town, best beef i've had in a while !
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 14:47

It's not very easy for me as a low waged nonsmoking single to find real fave restaurants/bars but some are there at least:
near my parents' home in Berlin-Köpenick Tanriverdi's Bistro, a very nice little Bistro with turkish, chinese/thailandian and german food. The wine is very good either and the staff is very friendly and cordially.
Near my home in Berlin-Steglitz is a nice Bar named "Secco", the desserts are very tasty and some of the middleprized meals. But I am not sure about the Pizza, once I ordered one and it was half burned half raw pale
There are also three italian restaurants near but the only stuff I can afford are Pizza and Pasta. The wine is over expensive.
I hope the Australian one is still there, wasn't there since my monster fight last year... the wine was very tasty and not too expensive and there were some affordable smaller meals in the menu, e.g. the Kangooroo Burger which was really tasty though I am not a Burger-fan...
Also there is a nice Sushi-Restaurant about 15 minits walk from my house...I hope my bank account will be a bit better in the future so when I am home again I will try to see those restaurants again.

The hole in the neighborhood is, as far as I think, also the SECCO and the Irish Pub "Finnegans" because both have my fave style of beer: Murphy's Red or Kilkenny Drunk

PS...and the Finnegan's has very very tasty sandwiches...*yum*
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 20:24

There's a lovely old Italian restaurant here in Dublin called Nico's.
It's really old fashioned: red velvet curtains and flock wallpaper - it's like walking into someone's boudoir.
They have a piano player on duty and if you're lucky (i.e. if people are in the mood) you could be there all night having a jolly good sing-song!
The food is also fantastic: their prawns in white wine sauce is out of this world! However, since I've long ago made my way down the menu, I now usually go for their 'special of the day' as it's always something unusual (rabbit with figs last time) and it's always top class!
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

Female Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 10:36

Oh!!! I was at Nico's last year for a work christmas party and it was hideous!! The staff were rude, the food took ages, then they took one of the tables off of us during desert and basically threw us out on the street! Fair enough it was all a bit hectic and it was a christmas party but gah! It really annoyed me that they weren't prepared for the party when they knew we were coming.

Anyway enough of me complaining, I used to eat in a teeny Italian place on Talbot St called the Italian Connection. Its just a cheap and cheerful place but I loved it. I go back every time I'm in Dublin for a few days. And continuing my Italian theme, Pacino's on Suffolk St was nice too. Yummy gourmet pizza's and it's so handy when you're shopping on Grafton St. (excuse me....I'm a fanatic for Italian food)
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 11:36

O's Thai Cafe in Crouch End here in North London. Great Thai food, very reasonably priced (relatively, at least!).
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 07:55

On the subject of Thai cuisine (which is one of our favourites) we went to an excellent Thai restaurant in Manchester last weekend, the Chaopraya.

We went there during the afternoon and the food and service was terrific. No waiting for a table either (it can get very busy during the evenings).

The decor is impressive and they have an array of seating arrangements, including traditional Thai style seating (quite low down so bit of a challenge !)

The prices were also very reasonable !!

Highly recommended if you are in Manchester and like Thai cuisine.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009, 11:48

TamedLamia wrote:
The hole in the neighborhood is, as far as I think, also the SECCO and the Irish Pub "Finnegans" because both have my fave style of beer: Murphy's Red or Kilkenny Drunk

Found out with disappointment, that the Secco took the Murphy's off the menu Crying or Very sad
But at least they still have nice cocktails and a Happy Hour to the time when I mostly go to pubs Smile
And the monthly menu is quite good, I had very tasty chicken filets in lemon sauce with pasta there and the Pizzas that went by looked a lot better than the one I had once...so I might give it another chance one day... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !   Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Restaurants & Their Culinary Delights !
Page 1 of 1