elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

40th birthday suggestions

Go down 
+5
Dabamash
mrswoman
bluefield
Jones
nellie
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

40th birthday suggestions Empty
PostSubject: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 18:52

Ok I realize this is maybe a bit cheeky but as I seem to spend an awful lot of time on here, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what I can get my hubby for his 40th birthday, which is coming up in a few weeks. I'm only asking cos you all seem like thoroughly nice helpful people Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 19:27

Mmm...
Tickets to see his favourite artist?
If the gig is abroad, even better!
It doesn't even have to fall on his birthday: just make up a really nice page with all the details etc.
Print it, frame it, gift-wrap it and present it to him in his favourite restaurant!

(Oh wait. This is possibly my dream-birthday present... Razz )
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 19:50

Thats a great idea but he's not really a big fan of anyone, I just drag him along with me if my friend cant come. Might keep that for when I'm 40 though!
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 21:05

Ball park fugure ? are you a very rich person ? are you a very poor person, what are your husbands interests ? Does he like sport ? Is he a bus enthusiast ? Does he like clothes or golf ? Take him up the Beetham tower ( that is not a euphamism by the way) rent an apartment for the night cool views over Moss side right out to Jodrell bank and beyond as you sip champagne and eat pringles together, what ever I hope he has a lovely time Nellie and Im sure he will cos you seem sound
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 21:29

Awww bless! I do love the people on here.
No I'm definately NOT rich but I'm prepared to let the credit card take a bit of a bashing. He's going to sound really dull but he's not that into anything, thats why I'm struggling so much to think of anything. Like the idea of Beetham towers, I think he'd like that, going to look into that so thanks. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 22:12

Do you think he'd like a theatre show of some description? Our family organised a something similar to Jones' idea for the in-laws to go to Joseph a while back. One chauffeured them there Cool , while the rest sorted the tix, organised a programme, picnic for the journey & meal for after and then made a 'theatre' card with the tix & vouchers inside.

Running on from Bluefield's idea, maybe something romantic like a meal/picnic/walk etc linked to a special place you met/first dated/got proposed to, perhaps with a (homemade?) card with old photos from that time or CD compilation with nostalgic songs.

Maybe a signed copy of favourite author's book or film poster from eBay? Not always expensive - some go for a couple of quid, depending who it is.

Or the good ole standby, the surprise party? If it's family & friends, you could even ask everyone to bring a plate and do a Jacobs Join to keep costs down a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 22:34

You lot are really great on here, getting lots of good ideas.
We met in Piccadilly 21 and thats closed down (not before time too!), and he proposed in Piccadilly gardens before they changed it all, I liked it when it was full of wino's- it had a certain Manc charm drunken

I took him to see his first musical last year and he loved it so thats something else to look at and he's a bit of a film buff so will see what I can find on that. Thanks Mrs W Smile
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 15:07

Day trip abroad? Paris or somehwere maybe. Won't cost too much on the eurostar, or even flying. You could go 1st class.
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 16:27

Thanks Dabs, already thought of that but too difficult to arrange time off work for us both and babysitters etc, its a dilemma! scratch
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 16:57

A certain Piccadilly theme is suggesting its self here
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 18:46

Well I'm all ears/eyes for any suggestions Smile
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeThu 30 Apr 2009, 21:15

Is he fit Nellie? - No sorry - worded that wrong. How fit is he? - no still doesn't sound right !!!

start again. is he into active sports etc. A day out at EXCITE (on M62) is brilliant. skiing etc.

Treated my daughter and her partner (he was 30) to a day out there. If you little ones are old enough they could go on slopes too. You'd get there in about 1 1/2 hours from manchester. Not too expensive
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 15:04

Or take him to Chill Factor. Nearer than EXCITE.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 15:31

Put a message on the big screen at Piccadilly Gardens, that you casually notice while having a pint outside Kro, while wearing a mad birthday sweater from Primani
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 15:38

What saying something like "officialy an old git" no offence to any 40 somethings! Wink
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 19:06

Dabamash wrote:
Or take him to Chill Factor. Nearer than EXCITE.

THANK YOU DABAMASH - MUST LOOK THAT ONE UP. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 20:34

Thanks for all the suggestions Wink

I've kind of fished around to see if he'd fancy 'chillfactor',suggested we might go sometime for a day out but he's not keen-reckons he'd probably end up breaking something. He's a difficult bugger! scratch
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 21:04

Don't ski. Take him, tubing or sledding. More fun, less pain.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 21:09

Helicopter ride?
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 21:11

Did hot air balloon ride over Derbyshire for 50th birthday. Lovely summers day - drinks afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 11:31

Excellent ideas from everyone.

I'm not very original. My first thought was dinner, maybe cocktails, followed by some really great sex. What a Face
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 20:25

Topaz wrote:
Excellent ideas from everyone.

I'm not very original. My first thought was dinner, maybe cocktails, followed by some really great sex. What a Face

Have you had the great day yet? Hope the celebrations went well if they did. drunken
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009, 10:07

It's on the 30th May, we will actually be coming back from a week in Scarborough in the morning then in the the evening we're going in to Manchester for a meal then out with friends.
Sunday, firstly recovering from the previous evenings excess then lunch with the children then I've got tickets to 'Elvis on Tour' at the Bridgewater Hall-should be interesting, and he does love a bit of Elvis.
For pressies to open I've managed to get him a signed movie thing of Sylvester Stallone that I've had framed (I can't bear the man but hey its not for me), DVD's from the kids, and cash so he can get himself some fishing gear (I've not got a clue about that sort of stuff). I wanted to send him on a fishing trip but couldn't book him the time off work No
Hopefully he'll enjoy the weekend even though I didn't manage to do all the things I would've liked.
I'm very gratefull to everyone for all the suggestions Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009, 16:17

Sorry to be a party pooper but I was pretty certain Elvis was dead, I think I heard it somewhere
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009, 17:36

Oh my God! Why did no one tell me before?
What am I supposed to do now? Bugger affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40th birthday suggestions   40th birthday suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40th birthday suggestions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next