elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover

Go down 
+38
victoryrose
MantraLuna
elbowismymuse
Cozzer
The Final Track
NeonChoir
HattyMarris
fadeupyoursmile
My Bury Vest
Mr Woman
ChrissyBoy
TamedLamia
sparky
leespoons
Weepsie
ElbowFreak
Lynne
Mollyb
LongLegs
redliz2
oneofthethree
mrswoman
yesman
Tailfly
al
Leo
Glendarian
schteiny
Dr Evil
ChrissieInFL
Lesley Gilks
ticky
Jones
Misspelt Yoof
lucky with disease
Stockhaus
bluefield
bluejayway
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009, 21:11

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009, 22:18

well if you don't listen to Nick Cave, David Bowie or Queen I think you really should start to.

I've been going through old cave, bowie and queen stuff tonight and remembered how much i really love it all!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 06:03

Hehe a thread on new music and here I am playing Queen's first album (the first LP I ever bought) and my playlist for the day includes Bowie's Space Oddity and Hunky Dory albums, part of my own voyage of disovery. Smile

Thanks for reminding me of them Stockhaus and I'm so glad this music is still out there and being discovered and enjoyed. Here's to seeing lots of Elbow songs in a similar thread somewhere in another 30 years... Wink
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 11:10

isn't it great when you have a listen to stuff you have not listen to for a long time?

today it's the Clash im re-discovering all over again!

Oh and yes if you have not heard Seasick Steve, you should take a listen, or if he is at a festival you are going to or playing a gig near you, go and see him, he is ace and just to much fun!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 19:41

Stockhaus wrote:
well if you don't listen to Nick Cave, David Bowie or Queen I think you really should start to.

I've been going through old cave, bowie and queen stuff tonight and remembered how much i really love it all!

Thanks to Guy (the Finest Hour) I got into Nick Cave, and now I'm obsessed Very Happy Bowie is just amazing. Not the biggest fan of Queen though.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 19:50

Stockhaus wrote:
isn't it great when you have a listen to stuff you have not listen to for a long time?

today it's the Clash im re-discovering all over again!

Oh and yes if you have not heard Seasick Steve, you should take a listen, or if he is at a festival you are going to or playing a gig near you, go and see him, he is ace and just to much fun!

Totally agree. Re-discovered my love for Kasabian. I thought "Well I'm seeing 'em later so lets fall in love again." I have hehe, roll on 8th June/2nd July!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009, 19:53

Leo wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_B2IOUYSw

tune

Cheers Leo. Love the lyrics. Why have I never her Modest Mouses music before Rolling Eyes ?
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009, 07:22

I'm just listening to various bits and pieces by Howe Gelb who played support for PJ Harvey & John Parish last night. He's a wonderful live performer; it seems he comes across quite different live than on record, but I'm liking both a lot.

Here's a little story for you: he said when they were in Manchester a couple of nights ago he was talking to a "lovely fella called Guy - from a band called Elbow" (Smile) and they had a great chat during which Guy thanked him for a line from one of his lyrics he'd "borrowed" in an Elbow song.
It was this song: Blood Orange, I think I know which line...

(PS I remember seeing Seasick Steve on Jools Holland - he was great, must hear some of his stuff sometime)
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009, 08:07

Glendarian wrote:
I'm just listening to various bits and pieces by Howe Gelb who played support for PJ Harvey & John Parish last night. He's a wonderful live performer; it seems he comes across quite different live than on record, but I'm liking both a lot.

Here's a little story for you: he said when they were in Manchester a couple of nights ago he was talking to a "lovely fella called Guy - from a band called Elbow" (Smile) and they had a great chat during which Guy thanked him for a line from one of his lyrics he'd "borrowed" in an Elbow song.
It was this song: Blood Orange, I think I know which line...

(PS I remember seeing Seasick Steve on Jools Holland - he was great, must hear some of his stuff sometime)

Seasick Steve is ace, what a voice. Love that story, the songs great too. I chuckled when that lyric came up.
Back to top Go down
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr 2009, 08:54

One person to see LIVE is S.J.Esau- Think along the lines of The Who meets Jimi Hendrix, except with one hundred times the energy. The CD's are ok but the live performances have something undefinable and much more frighteningly powerful about them-he has singlehandedly redefined the nature of rock music. Perhaps if I got massive speaker stacks I could reproduce the live sound from the CD, but I would end up with an ASBO.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Apr 2009, 19:37

Dr Evil wrote:
One person to see LIVE is S.J.Esau- Think along the lines of The Who meets Jimi Hendrix, except with one hundred times the energy. The CD's are ok but the live performances have something undefinable and much more frighteningly powerful about them-he has singlehandedly redefined the nature of rock music. Perhaps if I got massive speaker stacks I could reproduce the live sound from the CD, but I would end up with an ASBO.

They sound like a great band. I'll check 'em out, thanks!

P.S Your paintings are brilliant. How long have you been an artist?
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Apr 2009, 09:53

Foreign Slippers supported Duke Special on Sunday, she has a really beautiful voice.

http://www.myspace.com/foreignslippers

I Wish I Was a Fisherman is a truly lovely song. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 08:23

I enjoyed listening to Foreign Slippers song (I thought the fisherman song was going to be a cover of the Waterboys' Fisherman's Blues - different but just as good Smile)

I'm just listening to one of my favourites, Ben Christophers. I'm really looking forward to his new album if the song They Make Sparks (on the Myspace site) is anything to go by.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Apr 2009, 08:45

al wrote:
Foreign Slippers supported Duke Special on Sunday, she has a really beautiful voice.
Supported him in London last night too. She got a resounding thumbs up.
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

Female Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 13:32

These guys are a Leeds based unsigned act but are really very good. Their style is a lot different to Elbows and might not be to your taste but they are great Smile http://www.myspace.com/zoopolicy Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 22:40

Goes back a few years, but Stan Ridgeway ex-Wall of Voodoo did some great solo stuff IMO

Best albums were Mosquitos, Black Diamond and Partyball .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgc60fwjtpY
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 14:26

Sleeping States' second album proper, 'In The Gardens of the North', is out today. You need this in your life. Check out his first album, 'There Are Open Spaces', too.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 15:32

Good shout on Thomas Dolby Lesley. "The Flat Earth" is a lush, gorgeous track.

For new stuff, try Emmy The Great. On the older side, any of the Lloyd Cole & The Commotions albums are worth a listen.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 18:15

James - www.wearejames.com / www.oneofthethree.co.uk

On before Elbow at V (bit of a dream line up), new song Not So Strong to be given away free on their official site later this week

Local Natives
The 66
The Panics
Liam Frost
Mumford and Sons
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Aug 2009, 18:30

I recently got a second hand Creative Zen MP3 player with lots of music on it, including Lloyd Cole - gosh I hadn't heard the Rattlesnakes album since I was a student, wonderful nostalgia. :-) Will check out Emmy the Great, MrsW.

I also love James (and also particularly like Tim Booth's solo album Bone), look forward to that new song, ta oneofthethree (I thought I recognised your username Smile).

One of my favourite recent discoveries is Jose Gonzalez - a great songwriter and wonderful guitar work. His album includes a neat version of Teardrop which is almost as good as Elbow's cover. Wink
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 08:41

Rufus Wainwright ...writes the most beautiful music Very Happy
Anything by The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon is definately a god like genius!) and check out his side project ...The Duckworth Lewis Method ..gorgeous lush pop songs, all about cricket ..aceness!
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 12:26

Goldheart Assembly - www.myspace.com/goldheartassembly
File next to Fleet Foxes or Magic Numbers

Port O'Brien - www.myspace.com/portobrien
File next to Flaming Lips, Polyphonic Spree

Low Anthem - http://www.myspace.com/lowanthem
File next to: Wilco, Tom Waits

Everything Everything - www.myspace.com/EverythingEverythingUK
File next to: At the top of yur CD pile, I am on repeat, have been for months.

Cave Singers - www.myspace.com/thecavesingers
For Bearded love and falling rain....

Augie March - www.myspace.com/augiemarch
for pure homesickness and brilliantness
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 12:36

Nice picks, LongLegs - Port O'Brien, Low Anthem and Cave Singers are all on my shuffle already (found Cave Singers on the Finest Hour some months back, actually!), and I will check out the others on your list as well!

If I could recommend just one album to people, I would recommend a various artists project released 20 years ago, called Stay Awake. The theme is classic songs from Disney films - no, don't run away screaming! affraid It's the old stuff from the true classiscs, like Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty, not the Phil Collins crap of recent-era Disney flicks. It is the best album in my collection, bar none (sorry Elboys, but I gotta be honest!). It's got an incredible array of diverse artists - everyone from Tom Waits, Michael Stipe and Sinead O'Connor to the Replacements, Harry Nilsson and Ringo Starr. It is a veritable cornucopia of wondrous sounds, and it gets better every time I listen to it, even 20 years later. I get like a freakin' Jehovah's Witness when I start talking about Stay Awake, like I want to convert the world to its awesomeness. I wish I could make a copy of this disc for every human on planet earth because I just think it's so amazing! It truly takes you on a journey. Tom Waits' interpretation of Heigh-Ho (The Dwarves' Marching Song) is worth it all by itself - if you can't see the black, beautiful humor in , then you are beyond hope, IMHO! Laughing

Here's a link to the original album review in the New York Times, which gives you a great overview of what the project's about and how well it succeeds: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/23/arts/recordings-a-radically-rethought-magical-kingdom.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
Back to top Go down
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

Female Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 10:26

If I had to pick some stuff for people in here I'd probably go with....Stephen Fretwell-a Manchunian guitarist. Gorgeous songs and beautiful lyics
http://www.stephenfretwell.com/

aaaaaaaaaaand Sigur Ros- Freaky floaty Icelanders who have recently been raped by that idiot dance dj Chichane. Ugh the thought of the hideous song makes me shudder. The lead singer usually plays his guitar with a cello bow. Smile
http://www.myspace.com/sigurros (this is their myspace but they have an official website where I think you can download music)

And coz I have to get someone Irish in, (hmm so many to choose from!) this is Cathy Davey a teeny little Dublin girl with excellent music.
http://www.myspace.com/cathydavey

Oooh oooh I'm just after remembering these guys. They're probably the weirdest band I listen to given my other tastes in music but my boyfriend made me listen to them and the singer/rapper just has the most amazing lyrics I've ever heard. They're brilliant. And don't look anything like you'd expect them to either! Called Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip (don't judge them by the name-just give em a listen)
http://www.myspace.com/lesacvspip

Oh crap.....eh forgot about Mew. Danish Dream-pop trio (their words not mine!!!) Laughing They're slightly like Sigur Ros in their sound and I like listening to them on frosty morning's while I wait for the bus.
http://www.mewsite.com/

Ok I've thought of a load more by going through my WMP.......I wont post the links, just rest assured that these are all worth a listen......
Okkervil River
The Postal Service
One Day International
Regina Spektor
Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Karen O is the single most sexiest woman in the history of music-you have to see her live to understand it)
Ahhh! I'll stop now! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 10:51

Some good choices there.

Molly b wrote:
And coz I have to get someone Irish in, (hmm so many to choose from!) this is Cathy Davey a teeny little Dublin girl with excellent music.
http://www.myspace.com/cathydavey

I know and like her first album - wasn't Guy involved on it? There used to be a brilliant picture on her website of the two of them slouched on a sofa looking like something out of the Royle Family, but I can't find it now. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next