elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009

Go down 
+9
Misspelt Yoof
My Bury Vest
SamD
heshofcheese
Jones
bluejayway
Hotblack
Eag
dorsetbay
13 posters
AuthorMessage
dorsetbay
fallen angel
fallen angel
dorsetbay

Male Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009, 18:10

With the UK spring tour about to start, I thought I'd start a thread for the Bournemouth gig.

Is anyone from this forum going to the Bournemouth show on Monday? I'm a regular at the BIC, but it will be the first time I've seen Elbow live. Very Happy

I'll try and remember the set list and post it here, together with any photos. See you there and please post here about the show!

Steve / Dorsetbay
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009, 23:02

Hooray!

I'm taking my girlfriend as a birthday present Smile Looking forward to it hugely.

I will remember the set list Wink in fact, if you see someone writing on the back of their hand with a pen at the gig... Razz

Hope they take your breath away Steve!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009, 23:24

Writing the set list on the back of your hand? I thought the preferred method was blagging one from the mixing desk at the end of the gig. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeSun 01 Mar 2009, 22:57

Hey, this is my first post and this topic caught my eye. I'm going to see them tomorrow as well Very Happy . It's my first time for the BIC and Elbow. I hope everyone who is going tomorrow or seeing them in the future has a great time.

P.S I'm Sarah if anyone wants to know.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Mar 2009, 10:52

Hotblack wrote:
Writing the set list on the back of your hand? I thought the preferred method was blagging one from the mixing desk at the end of the gig. Very Happy

I always bring a notepad. Embarassed
This may seem a little weird but it's also a bit of an ice-breaker. It has got me talking to loads of people (asking me what I was writing down) and at one of the gigs in Dublin this fella said to me he recognised me from previous gigs by my jotting in my notepad!
Razz
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Mar 2009, 11:49

I always bring a notepad. Embarassed
This may seem a little weird but it's also a bit of an ice-breaker. It has got me talking to loads of people (asking me what I was writing down) and at one of the gigs in Dublin this fella said to me he recognised me from previous gigs by my jotting in my notepad!
Razz[/quote]

That old line, eh? Wink lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
SamD
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Mar 2009, 14:08

I will be there tonight, I can't wait! Very Happy
Seems like it's quite a small venue too, only holds 2000 max, much preferable to me than an arena.
Back to top Go down
SamD
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Mar 2009, 01:19

Just back from Bournemouth, looks like we had the same set as Southend, including Switching Off and Any Day Now.
Guy was on spectacular form with the banter tonight, the best I've seen.
Somebody had brought along a David Hasslehoff mask, Guy told us the story of him asking the Hoff for a drink at the bar and then used the mask during a song.
The music as stunning as ever, I just want to stand and listen to Newborn for ever and ever.
Bloody fantastic evening!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Bournemouth 2/3/09: How was it for you?   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Mar 2009, 09:10

Hey guys,

If you went to Bournemouth, how was it for you? For me it was....BLISS! I got three rows from the front, right in front of Guy. The Acorn were good, their front man is a nice and funny bloke. I don't really know where to begin. Guy's audience banter was really funny, especially the robot story. The band as a whole were superb, could not fault them at all. However being as short as I am I could only really see Craig and Guy Sad Love when a woman at the back said "I love you Pete Turner" and Guy's reply was "This could be it" bless. At one point in the show I had this feeling of contentment, and felt like I was the only one in the room (anyone else feel this?) Scattered Black and Whites brought a tear to my eye.
There are only two faults with the gig. 1: It wasn't long enough and 2: There were some 14 year old attention seeking idiots behind me (luckily they moved later on), but it really annoyed me that the only song they knew was Grounds and they wouldn't shut up. All in all this is the BEST gig I have ever been to, it beats the Stones by a mile (sorry Mick!) So please tell me how it went. Sorry the message is so long.

P.S I apologize if you were near me and I screamed too loudly and took way too many pictures.

Last edited by bluejayway on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 20:48; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Mar 2009, 11:11

Nice one Sarah, I've tried to keep off the gig reports so that i'd be surprised when I see them in Blackpool but just can't help myself !! I think somebody else mentioned that Scattered is maybe the wrong choice for the finale and after witnessing this in Manchester last year, I'd agree. It IS a a thing of beauty, but for me, it'd be great as the first song of the encore and maybe finish with One Day Like This or Grounds, but heh, just a personal choice. Cool
Back to top Go down
dorsetbay
fallen angel
fallen angel
dorsetbay

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Mar 2009, 12:59

Just a quick report to say that the Bournemouth show was marvellous. Eag - yes they did take my breath away! And SamD, the setlist was the same as the one for Southend posted here.

I hate to chose favourites, but standouts for me were The Stops, Newborn and Station Approach. Oh, and the band gathered around Craig's keyboards for a quiet intro to Weather to Fly.

A special moment for me was Newborn. Just before the band played Newborn, someone at the front shouted "Supper's Ready", loudly applauded by yours truly and several others standing near me. Guy looked amazed and quipped "Supper's Ready? About a third of you got that early Genesis joke!" (Supper's ready is an early 23 minute Genesis epic from 1972).

This banter was very apt because, to my ears, Newborn sounds so much like a Peter Gabriel song.

PS - Don't sit out The Acorn.

PPS - This was supposed to be a quick report!

Last edited by dorsetbay on Tue 03 Mar 2009, 17:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Mar 2009, 13:29

Personally I loved closing with SB&W, but I'm a little contrary, there we go. I guess it's just a very Elbow thing to do Smile The lights were brilliant, a very cool experience.

Great to see so many people enjoyed the gig (thread merge anyone?), and I can only back this up. The Acorn were a pleasant surprise, the crowd were generally attentive during songs (well, I sang myself hoarse, that's a little different) and fun in between. Guy was full of stories, especially little snapshots about the songs themselves.

Having avoided spoilers my personal highlight was Any Day Now, which sounded fantastic. Also lots of songs for Guy to get his guitar out for, and he dropped a bit of West Side Story's "America" into Mexican Standoff, making the rest of the band laugh.

Tonnes of fun, and a full two hours wasn't bad! Made a great birthday present for my girlfriend too Smile
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Mar 2009, 14:55

Eag wrote:
Personally I loved closing with SB&W
Agreed. A wonderful way to finish the set.
Back to top Go down
dorsetbay
fallen angel
fallen angel
dorsetbay

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Mar 2009, 21:59

Our local paper down here in darset has a review of the Bournemouth show. A very positive write-up. Smile

Elbow Review
Back to top Go down
Killer
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Mar 2009, 20:07

The Best £22.02 I have ever spent !

At the BIC, Guy and the guys (sorry & the girls !) were on top form. Switched Off was personal favourite. I was glad they used the smaller Solent Hall at the BIC as its a bit more personal. Although, if they played in the Wessex (Area Tours generally) I would be sure they be brill.

I thought the usual Guy banter was in top form. My personal favourite was the story about the Robot Girls and the heckler. Keep it up Guy you are the best.

ps. Bands who dont banter with the crowd should be banned !

K
Back to top Go down
fecklessson7
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Mar 2009, 00:32

dorsetbay wrote:
someone at the front shouted "Supper's Ready", loudly applauded by yours truly and several others standing near me. Guy looked amazed and quipped "Supper's Ready?

It would be very interesting to see Guy and the boys bring their own interpretation to Supper's Ready. flower

paul Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Mar 2009, 19:37

dorsetbay wrote:
Just before the band played Newborn, someone at the front shouted "Supper's Ready"
affraid lol!
I just hope, that Newborn won't be that rarely played in a few years... Wink (good to see that I am not the only one who turned from a Genesis-Fan to a Elbow-Fan... Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
thisismusic
fallen angel
fallen angel
thisismusic

Female Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 19:26

I just listened to the bootleg I downloaded from dime, excellent concert and excellent quality for a bootleg as well Cool
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 20:05

thisismusic wrote:
I just listened to the bootleg I downloaded from dime, excellent concert and excellent quality for a bootleg as well Cool

Oh my goodness!

Are bootlegs kosher? Because I'd kill (maybe not literally) to hear this...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009   Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bournemouth 02 Mar 2009
Page 1 of 1