elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Guy Garvey's Finest Hour

Go down 
+34
@MrIanGibson
MagicalTrevor
andyou111
LongLegs
HattyMarris
sparky
WOBLEwoble
Jones
Mr Woman
My Bury Vest
Kim
ticky
Lynne
bluejayway
run-lola-run
nellie
Glendarian
Tailfly
heshofcheese
Stockhaus
fadeupyoursmile
TamedLamia
asleepintheback
Robeman
Carah
Ted
Jonny
Calum
ChrissieInFL
JulieinTX
leespoons
josephblack
Dabamash
Hotblack
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

Female Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 02 May 2009, 21:29

Oh shush, You know what I meant tongue
I'll be sure to give it a listen tomorrow night!
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 23:13

Wow, i'm glad I gave that a listen... was a great couple of hours of radio Smile
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 21:42

i've missed the last two weeks finest hour and have had no time to listen to it Sad BOHO
but will take alisten to last nights as soon as i can!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 09 May 2009, 07:02

I keep missing the Finest Hour too. Sad Must get into the habit of regular listening, I love the show when I do catch it.

I got a Real World label e-newsletter this morning and it included this:

Quote :
Madam are a mercurial cocktail of musicians who bring their maverick wealth of experience to songs written and produced by Sukie Smith. Their debut album "In Case of Emergency" was universally well received and won them fans such as Guy Garvey; they have been named one of the five bands to watch in 2008 by The Independent; picked to play Time Out's On The Up night.

I just love the way Guy's obviously become a term of reference for good taste. Smile (I'll have to have a listen to the Madam album now Wink)
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 21:05

Wheres Garve tonight? Rob Hughes is covering The Finest Hour...hmmm Sad
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 21:12

He's on holiday, he said on the show last week he was going away last weekend. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 21:24

Ahhh, thats why he pre recorded last week wasnt it.. how could I forget? lol!
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 21:36

Its pre-recorded each week, he must have other stuff he wants to do on a sunday evening.

The other fella thats standing in for him plays good music but I miss my weekly Guy fix and cant really be bothered listening. Hope hes back next week!
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 21:44

Yeah, me too. I only really listen because it Guy and the other bloke plays good music but its not really the same. I hope Guy is having fun on his holidays, he deserves a good one Very Happy. Even though he is depriving us of our beloved Finest Hour Razz!
Back to top Go down
run-lola-run
fallen angel
fallen angel
run-lola-run

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 17:11

I heard the programme he did on the Leonard Cohen song "Hallelujah", he did a great job!

I must really start "listening again" to his BBC6 show! I wish he'd make the move to Radio2 as well! Move over Jeremy Vine!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.run-lola-run.deviantart.com
run-lola-run
fallen angel
fallen angel
run-lola-run

Female Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2009, 08:49

I try to listen in whenever I can...

Does anyone else feel like, when they listen, its like an old friend sharing his music taste with you?

Love his mix of tunes too.. according to Q he burns them all to cd himself and brings them in with notes =]
Back to top Go down
http://www.run-lola-run.deviantart.com
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 14:08

run-lola-run wrote:
Does anyone else feel like, when they listen, its like an old friend sharing his music taste with you?

yea! And after he played one of my "Songs for Guy" even more! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 19:41

What is the song at the beginning of the show when he says "this could be my finest hour"? Is it Hendrix? Really wanna know what it it...he has mentioned it before but i cant remember!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 20:40

Ted wrote:
What is the song at the beginning of the show when he says "this could be my finest hour"? Is it Hendrix? Really wanna know what it it...he has mentioned it before but i cant remember!

It is Jimi Hendrix, Third Stone From the Sun off the LP Are You Experienced.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 20:55

Cheers bud! Smile
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009, 11:49

Ahhhhhh!!! Just went onto Guy's homepage at 6 music (as I'd missed last night's show, due to being knackered Razz ) and looked at the track listing. The first song caught my eye, Big Bad Handsome Man by Imelda May. It caught my eye because it was the song for Guy which I suggested!!! Omg I never thought he would put it on as I emailed him in April! But as they say, good things are worth waiting for. I then began to listen and almost fell of my chair when he said my name and thanked me after wards. Can't get over it! Sorry if this is such a lame post, but I am a fangirl and proud Razz Guy = big I love you
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009, 12:32

Ahh really pleased for you.

Only managed to listen to half of it last night, will catch the other half up in the week. I made a request this week so I'll wait and see....
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009, 12:39

Lynne wrote:

Only managed to listen to half of it last night, will catch the other half up in the week. I made a request this week so I'll wait and see....

Oh what did you request or is it a surprise?
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009, 13:16

bluejayway wrote:
Ahhhhhh!!! Just went onto Guy's homepage at 6 music (as I'd missed last night's show, due to being knackered Razz ) and looked at the track listing. The first song caught my eye, Big Bad Handsome Man by Imelda May. It caught my eye because it was the song for Guy which I suggested!!! Omg I never thought he would put it on as I emailed him in April! But as they say, good things are worth waiting for. I then began to listen and almost fell of my chair when he said my name and thanked me after wards. Can't get over it! Sorry if this is such a lame post, but I am a fangirl and proud Razz Guy = big I love you

That really is exciting! You must be made up!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009, 13:27

[quote="ticky"]
bluejayway wrote:

That really is exciting! You must be made up![/quote/]

Yeah. This was my face when I came across it affraid Razz
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jul 2009, 21:34

bluejayway wrote:
Lynne wrote:

Ooooh, not sure if I should tell you. You're far too young to know it, you weren't even born when it came out.

Guy played a record week before last which reminded him of his childhood and helped him to fall asleep at night (the theme being Lullabies). His song was by Genesis Carpet Crawlers. My request was Homethoughts from Abroad by Clifford T. Ward. There are some really old clips on Youtube. Think it is a classic and it sticks in my head from my very early childhood. My mum and dad played it all the time. Sorry, I've gone on giving all my secrets away.

There I've jinxed it now it probably won't get played.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 19:29

Bluejay - that's awesome! Very Happy

I wonder how many of us forumers have had SFGs played. Guy played my SFG of Diablo Rojo by Rodrigo y Gabriela and read out my email too, on the show which aired the very same night I got the photo with him after the Southend gig on 1st March 2009, my Garvey Metre(TM) went through the roof!!

I also suggested The Old Matchbook Trick by Lambchop, which Guy then played a few weeks later on 20th July 2008 but he didn't introduce it as a SFG or read out my email/name, which is fair enough since it wasn't a particularly interesting email, and he had a much better story of his own for introducing it.

But it CAN'T have been co-incidence... right? And that got me wondering how many of the songs he plays on the show are actually SFGs but he just doesn't introduce them as such?
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 20:09

Between me and al we've sent in a least 5 BELTING SFGs in the last 2 years. NONE have been played. No frightened rabbit, no foreign slippers and no duke special! Not complaining, i think they're genuinely good tracks that would not look out of place on the playlist!
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 20:29

Lynne wrote:
bluejayway wrote:
Lynne wrote:

Ooooh, not sure if I should tell you. You're far too young to know it, you weren't even born when it came out.

Guy played a record week before last which reminded him of his childhood and helped him to fall asleep at night (the theme being Lullabies). His song was by Genesis Carpet Crawlers. My request was Homethoughts from Abroad by Clifford T. Ward. There are some really old clips on Youtube. Think it is a classic and it sticks in my head from my very early childhood. My mum and dad played it all the time. Sorry, I've gone on giving all my secrets away.

There I've jinxed it now it probably won't get played.

Unfortunately I haven't heard of them *for shame* But I will check it out and hopefully he'll play it.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 20:31

Sarah wrote:
Between me and al we've sent in a least 5 BELTING SFGs in the last 2 years. NONE have been played. No frightened rabbit, no foreign slippers and no duke special! Not complaining, i think they're genuinely good tracks that would not look out of place on the playlist!

Oh sorry to hear that Sarah Sad Well hopefully he play them ONE DAY!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guy Garvey's Finest Hour   Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guy Garvey's Finest Hour
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next