elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Songs you hate by artists you love

Go down 
+8
TamedLamia
Robeman
Hotblack
Dabamash
leespoons
Calum
Jonny
ChrissieInFL
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Songs you hate by artists you love Empty
PostSubject: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 17:28

I was in the car, minding my own business, when the radio started spewing "Rock the Casbah" at me. Now, I love the Clash but I hate that song. If I never hear it again it'll be too soon. I know lots of times the bands we love make songs that just piss us off. Another one that comes immediately to mind is Maxwell's Silver Hammer by the Beatles. I have always had an unnaturally intense dislke of that song -- can't explain it but there it is. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 18:02

You're not the only person I've met show disdain for Maxwell's Silver Hammer, hehe

Genesis are my favourite band, but have several songs that I despise. For example, Invisible Touch, In Too Deep, Follow You Follow Me and more...

Twist & Crawl by Death in Vegas

Escape by Muse

A few songs from Floyd's The Wall: Bring the Boys Back Home, Vera, The Show Must Go On...

Some Chilis songs off the One Hot Minute album and some of the bad material from the early records.

Seeeds by Black Moth Super Rainbow, they took the 'bad quality because who cares' thing too far on that track...

Think that's a about it, haha xD
Back to top Go down
Calum
friend of ours
friend of ours
Calum

Male Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 18:41

Lost Souls by Doves, starts off amazingly, then I just don't get it.

Boris the Spider, the Who.

Coldplay's I Ran Away is another, but I absolutely love it until the instrumental at the end which I just hate. So annoying.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 19:02

I can't think of many songs I actually hate (as opposed to being indifferent to them) - 'Rock DJ' by Robbie Williams, 'New Shoes' by Paolo Nutini, anything by Scouting For Girls... but as for songs by bands I love, I can't think of any. 'So Lonely' by The Police perhaps, but I don't really love The Police in the same way as Elbow or XTC.

Calum wrote:
Boris the Spider, the Who.

I LOVE that song! 'Creeee-peeee craaaaw-leeee...' The bass on that sounds... well, black and hairy! Go The Ox!

I also love Rock The Casbah, again it's that bassline I think. I should've been a bassist, not a drummer.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 19:06

jonny wrote:

That's a cover (of a song by The Beat), so you could let them off I suppose.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 19:15

actually, thinking about it, 'Lenny' and 'Time' by Supergrass. I love Supergrass, but I always skip those two songs.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 19:19

Bodysnatchers by Radiohead. I just think it's below their standard.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2008, 20:35

lee spoons wrote:
jonny wrote:

That's a cover (of a song by The Beat), so you could let them off I suppose.

Ooh that makes me feel much better Very Happy

And though I agree with you Dab, I think 'head have done much worse on certain tracks off Pablo Honey... nothing I hate though.

Last edited by jonny on Thu 08 May 2008, 15:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 09:39

Tbh, I wasn't that impressed with Pablo Honey. I actually like Creep, but I thought the rest of the album sucked a bit. Just my opinion tho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 09:54

This could be controversial but I really don't like Grace Under Pressure from CoT. I think it's dreadful. Worst thing Elbow have done.

I was never a big fan of Money by Pink Floyd. Almost ruins the album. And I hate Smoke On The Water with a passion. Zeppelin made some dreadful records. D'Yer Mak'er (or somesuch - Can't be bothered looking it up) from Houses of the Holy is appalling. Robbery, Assault and Battery from Trick of the Tail by Genesis - bloody awful. There's loads more I could think of given time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 12:38

Hotblack wrote:
This could be controversial but I really don't like Grace Under Pressure from CoT. I think it's dreadful. Worst thing Elbow have done.

I think there are other people who might not be too fond of that one as well. It's sort of the same thing as One Day Like This...it needs a crowd to bring it to life. On record, it loses quite a bit of its grandness. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's dreadful, though...

On another note, I friggin' cannot stand Radio Ga-Ga by Queen. What the hell was that about, anyway? scratch
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 15:09

ChrissieInFL wrote:
I think there are other people who might not be too fond of that one as well. It's sort of the same thing as One Day Like This...it needs a crowd to bring it to life.

I love One day Like This. For me it still resonates deeply even on record (CD, whatever). Grace Under Pressure I've never got.............even live......twice Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 15:26

Frontin' by Jami Cullum. Can't be doin with it.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 15:31

Hotblack wrote:

I was never a big fan of Money by Pink Floyd. Almost ruins the album. And I hate Smoke On The Water with a passion. Zeppelin made some dreadful records. D'Yer Mak'er (or somesuch - Can't be bothered looking it up) from Houses of the Holy is appalling. Robbery, Assault and Battery from Trick of the Tail by Genesis - bloody awful. There's loads more I could think of given time.

I'm not that fond of Grace either. Similarly One Day Like This is probably going to do the opposite of grow on me.

Robbery, Assault and Battery is fun Razz but I can understand why you wouldn't like it, it's a bit boppy, almost silly... great 13/8 instrumental though
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 16:29

Dabamash wrote:

You love the 'jazz dwarf'? Shocked

Dunno why everyone's got a downer on 'Grace'... those drums man, those drums! I much prefer it to 'One Day' - and I think Elbow's worst song is probably 'Puckfair'.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 16:36

I just like Jazz, it's what I mostly play on piano,
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 02:07

lee spoons wrote:
Dabamash wrote:

You love the 'jazz dwarf'? Shocked

Dunno why everyone's got a downer on 'Grace'... those drums man, those drums! I much prefer it to 'One Day' - and I think Elbow's worst song is probably 'Puckfair'.

The drums are definitely its saving... grace Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Robeman
little beast
little beast
Robeman

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeTue 13 May 2008, 09:06

An off-topic post since I both hate the song and the artist Smile. Just have to rant about this dreadful song/artist. Katie Melua and "If you were a Sailboat" . Oh my f'u**ink god this has to be the worst song ever!! Every morning while having my breakfast I listen to the radio and a couple of months ago this song was getting played rapidly. Whenever this song got played I just felt a mild rage coming over me, got really sour the rest of the day.....the lyrics of this song is just horrific!! This song should def be nominated in the categories "the worst song of the century" and "most likely to make people commit suicide song" in some sort of award show

Rant over Smile

Last edited by Robeman on Wed 14 May 2008, 07:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeTue 13 May 2008, 11:18

Hehe that made me giggle

Radio repetition has killed many a song
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeThu 29 May 2008, 10:34

I really hate "The Great gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd.
I think it's the forerunner of all those whiny "Soul"-Singers who sound like they have a toothache... Rolling Eyes
The only version of that song I can stand is the live version with Sam Brown. Her voice is so cool, that she even makes that whining sound cool...
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008, 12:53

I quite like Roxy Music, but I always switch off "Love Is The Drug" when it comes on. It gets right up my nose, that one.

Also heard De Do Doo Do, De Da Da Da by the Police this morning and remembered that I really don't like that one either.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008, 19:09

I LOVE "Love Is The Drug". I tend to ignore the sleazy lyrics and groove along to the rhythm section.

Yes, De Do Doo Do is irritating... "their logic ties you up and rapes you" is an awful lyric, worse than Duran Duran's "you're about as easy as a nuclear war" or that song by Des'ree that rhymes ghost with toast.

Not a fan of some of Madness's later work either... Suggs agrees with me though - he once memorably described one of their later albums as "polished turd" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeTue 09 Sep 2008, 18:43

Robeman wrote:
An off-topic post since I both hate the song and the artist Smile. Just have to rant about this dreadful song/artist. Katie Melua and "If you were a Sailboat" . Oh my f'u**ink god this has to be the worst song ever!! the lyrics of this song is just horrific!!

She disses Jarv in it Sad It says, "If you were Jarvis Cocker, i would remind you to take/have? a bath."

A song i hate by someone i love, Sheffield : Sex City, by Pulp. It annoys me, but i really loved Pulp Razz
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeTue 09 Sep 2008, 19:25

This is digging throught the thread archives a little...I forgot this thread even existed.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitimeTue 09 Sep 2008, 19:26

Lol, i was bored and wanted to trawl through the archives for something to do Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs you hate by artists you love   Songs you hate by artists you love Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs you hate by artists you love
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next