elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

Go down 
+22
Wretch
Gaily67
ChrissieInFL
Hotblack
hilaryg
ukkonen
dustbowl
Glendarian
sparky
Cestriansteve
Mr Woman
chapeau_
ChrissyBoy
Paulo Paulo
errant
TamedLamia
allyngibson
My Bury Vest
Cozzer
Misspelt Yoof
lucky with disease
mrswoman
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 10:20

lucky with disease wrote:
There must be a good reason why 'Picky Bugger' was only ever played live just once, only in Amsterdam.
I believe (but obviously I can't speak for him) that Guy finds the "liiiittle fish" note a bit tricky... Razz

As far as the setlist is concerned; yes, I do think it's a little SSK heavy but as I've said before I think they just want to please/embrace the greatest number of people possible at the show, so there it is.

My favourite set list would look different too but wouldn't everybody's? That doesn't mean I've been unhappy with it - I've loved every show and I for one am delighted that they have done so well. They deserve it!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 14:51

Jones wrote:
As far as the setlist is concerned; yes, I do think it's a little SSK heavy but as I've said before I think they just want to please/embrace the greatest number of people possible at the show, so there it is.!
Its perceived number crunching on the balance being tipped on sales for TSSK being more mainstream.Whose to say great numbers wouldn't have been pleased by having one or 2 better quality surprises from the brilliant back catalogue too, that the greatest number of people aren't even aware of maybe? Others facebook comments on songs have been telling.

Quote :
My favourite set list would look different too but wouldn't everybody's? That doesn't mean I've been unhappy with it - I've loved every show and I for one am delighted that they have done so well. They deserve it!
Don't think anyone would deny that...but where next for the Arena set? Can they take the runway connection with cocktail cabinet piano, chandelier and descending mirrorball to the festivals?
Wouldn't they still be doing just as well? or would there be a stage invasion riot, or mass walk out, or some audience playing statues if they didn't play that 'One day like this' at Glastonbury....again. pirat
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 15:43

Yup; think it best to take the 'set wishlist' discussion and conjecture about why/how certain songs should be played here:
http://elbow.heavenforum.org/t1280p45-set-list-for-march-11-tour
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 19:38

mrswoman wrote:
Yup; think it best to take the 'set wishlist' discussion and conjecture about why/how certain songs should be played here:
http://elbow.heavenforum.org/t1280p45-set-list-for-march-11-tour

To an extent - specifics about the setlist yes. Live shows in general (in defence of my own reactions Wink) - I think it's relevant to the thread. If the recent setlist was dictated by mass crowd-pleasing alone that would be sad. If (as LWD hinted way back) it's because the band are totally into the new songs, and on a personal level for whatever reason wanted to give the old ones a rest, that's cool (except I couldn't uhnderstand wanting to totally leave behind all their back catalogue for whatever reason, but who knows). Time will tell. I've always been an optimist. Wink
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 21:16

It was more to do with a modding judgement call on not wanting to split hairs and make a difficult distinction between *this* type of setlist discussion and *that* sort, rather than have a gently chastising pop at you Glendarian. Smile

If an already broad subject like this one is bounded from the realms of a topic already covered elsewhere, it's also easier for all those new folk to get the hang of the place.

It feels like more posts have been popping up in weird places to sort out - probably because it's been so active lately - hence the desire to keep things clear!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 06:56

No personal offence taken, I was kind of acknowledging that I do have a "Newborn live" obsession which doesn't really belong in this thread Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011, 09:59

That's alright then! I doubt you're the only one with that obsession, Glendarian... Smile
Back to top Go down
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 05 May 2011, 20:57

I'm put in mind of my all -time favourite band Genesis, and the huge fallout when they crossed over from being a big cult band into a worldwide phenomenon. Doubtless, the dividing line appeared for Elbow with SSK and a lot of fans must have felt a bit annoyed at having to share this precious and beautiful secret called Elbow with the mainstream.

I don't know whether BARB is a direct response to that; it seems that Elbow write and create for themselves first, but at the same time they must wonder at what reaction they'll get to their music. This album seems more a response to all the time they've spent away from home and realising anew the value of friends and keeping in touch with the people and places you grew up with.

I'd hate to think the band deliberately made an anti-SSK album, though, almost as though they were embarrassed by it and the success it gained. Their riches have been well earned, and every album is a jewel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful   We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3