elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

David Bowie

Go down 
+4
Stockhaus
Glendarian
ChrissieInFL
Mr_K
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 14:11

I can't see a thread on Bowie, so I thought I'd start one since I consider him to be one of the most influential and greatest rock and pop musicians ever, his impact on contempory music in this country perhaps only eclipsed by The Beatles. Punk, New Wave, Goth, Electronica (Just listen to the magnificent, brooding Warszawa), New Romantics (may God forgive him) to name just a few of the genres he either influenced or spawned.

Not everything Bowie touched turned to gold - he took some wrong turns musically and personally and constantly pushing the envelope can lead to spectacular falls at times, but with a legacy that includes albums such as Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger & Scary Monsters, all stone-cold classics, David Bowie has made some brilliant music. True, he's been pants since the early 80's but he is still a hero to me. (Although I do have a soft spot for "Let's Dance" even though you would only ever want to listen to the first 3 tracks)

I am currently listening to the excellent remastered & resequenced Stage (Live) double CD from '78 which features a superb selection of tracks from Station to Station, Low and Heroes as well as about half of Ziggy. You can currently get the mp3 album from Amazon UK for £3.69. Bargain.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 15:54

Hmmm, Bowie....

I admire him more than enjoy him. Got several of his best albums, but really don't play them all that often. I think he is undoubtedly one of the most talented musicmakers in rock hsitory, but I never got into him too deeply. I think of him as the original Madonna - always changing from image to image and persona to persona, but you never really had the feeling that he was any of those characters, they were just roles he played. He almost struck me as more of an actor than a musician sometimes. And like Madonna, he was good at creating controversy and drama, which all helped him get lots of attention from the press and public.

I think my main issue with him is that, even though the music sounds fantastic, I never really connected with it. There wasn't much for me to hang my emotional hat on, so to speak. Full respect to him for the way he crafted his songs and albums (for the most part), but I guess he just never got under my skin the way other artists have. He's definitely a unique guy and has taken many musical risks during his career, and I like that very much. Wish more musicians would follow that example today and not play it so safe all the time!
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 18:31

Chrissie - Its funny, your comments remind me very much of mine about Radiohead - and I can completely see where you are coming from. There is just something about Bowie that DOES connect with me in a way that Radiohead don't. Perhaps it is because Bowie's music was, along with countless other musicians, part of the fabric of my early teen years, or maybe that's got nothing to do with it at all.

This is one of the wonderful things about art - that it can evoke both an intellectual and an emotional response, and those responses can be contrary.

Heroes is one of my favourite songs, full stop, and I am really looking forward to hearing Peter Gabriel's version on "Scratch My Back" - it could be immense with an orchestra.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeSat 13 Feb 2010, 17:57

I love Bowie too (though it has to be said, on a personal level mainly from the late 60s to the early 80s) and echo what's been said about his influence and genius. I think he has a real indefinable charisma too. I do know what you mean about the theatricality and image-consciousness stuff and normally it's probably something that would really put me off an artist, but as you say it's a matter of whether or not you connect with it, and I do connect with a lot of Bowie's stuff. I sometimes feel it's almost as if he gets emotion across despite himself .

But it's true about the intellectual and emotional comment - certainly a lot of thew way I feel about Bowie - especially the albums I go back to again and again (especailly Hunky Dory and Space Oddity) - is a matter of where I was at a certain time.

Heroes on Scratch My Back is wonderful - a beautiful, really moving arrangement. (Though given the comments in the Gabriel's Mirroball thread perhaps I'll be in the minority).

I also think Bowie's appearance on Ricky Gervaise's Extras is genius. Wink
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2010, 21:11

he is one of my absolute favourite men of all time. I adore him and his music and there is just something about it that makes me like it.
At first listen i usually didn't like the song that much, but then i had to listen again and BAM i've fallen again. Think he is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeTue 16 Feb 2010, 15:06

Hey you two - remember this?

Heroes - Live Aid - 13/07/1985

Absolutely the best 7 minutes of the whole day - still get a lump in the throat hearing and seeing that. Talk about charisma!

It is scary that this year is the 25th anniversary of Live Aid. A QUARTER OF A CENTURY! Jeez.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeTue 16 Feb 2010, 16:34

Mr_K wrote:

Absolutely the best 7 minutes of the whole day

Erm... yes, you see, I don't agree there... I think Queen absolutely ran away with it!

Still lovin' that tho, and I remember that day so well, how exciting it was and really the first of its kind!
Anyhoo, back to Bowie; saw him live a couple of times and loved his shows. -Pure theatre!
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeWed 17 Feb 2010, 13:54

Jones I totally agree with you that Queen were magnificent - I never expected Freddie and co to be anything less than brilliant in front of such a massive worldwide audience. A dream come true for such showmen.
It is just that hearing a belting version of one of my favourite ever songs sung by one of my heroes on such an epic stage topped pretty much everything. It was great that he seemed to enjoy it so much too.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010, 09:29

David Bowie has been has been a massive hero of mine since a very young age. I did give up around Scary Monsters though and nothing he has done since has really enthused me greatly. I have tried though, bought a few albums, but the magic has gone now. That said, Ziggy Stardust is one of my top 5 albums of all time and I still get a frisson listening to it - in fact I never get bored by it. All in all that album is perfect.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 07:44

Just yesterday I bought the "A reality tour" CD.
Loving it. Especially the man who sold the world. Always great! Smile

He's one of those artist who could sing a phone book and I would listen to it, just because his voice gives me goosebumps everytime!!
Great, great artist!!!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeWed 24 Feb 2010, 15:01

We grew up with the Hunky Dory album which as kids, my Dad was a big fan, we played constantly and knew all the words. Fab album.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeSun 08 Jan 2012, 11:14

Happy 65th Birthday. Crikey!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeSun 08 Jan 2012, 11:39

Yeap, happy B-Day to the gentlemen Mr. Bowie.
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitimeMon 09 Jan 2012, 09:57

Just thought on David Bowie,

My sister's boyfriend and his mate went 10 pin bowling in New York last year. His mate's friend David Bowie only rocked up with wife Iman and his son for a game. He said he was one of the most down to earth people he'd ever met. His mate happens to be the husband of Victoria Secrets owner in New York. Small world, ehhh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

David Bowie Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie   David Bowie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Bowie
Page 1 of 1