elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

David Sylvian

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Icen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

David Sylvian Empty
PostSubject: David Sylvian   David Sylvian Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 10:44

I've recently got into Elbow and am absolutely loving them, I think I've collected their entire output in the last month but just missed the Tour, a truly great band.
If you are into Scattered Black and Whites, Fugitive Motel, Switching Off, Great Expectations, have a listen to David Sylvian, similar sort of thing.

Secrets of the Beehive, Gone to Earth and Dead Bees on a Cake are all a good place to start, the later albums are darker but still worth a listen.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

David Sylvian Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Sylvian   David Sylvian Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 13:32

Mmmmm, dark. I like dark music.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

David Sylvian Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Sylvian   David Sylvian Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 15:23

David Sylvian - for me a bit hit and miss, but that is mainly because of his musically adventurous nature. Japan were great, and I have a real soft spot for his first solo album "Brilliant Trees". As you say, "Gone To Earth" (featuring some stellar guitar from Fripp and Bill Nelson) is well worth a listen. My other fave is "Blemish" which is pretty much the opposite to the lush GTE. Austere, bleak but not quite hopeless, more sonic sculpture than song, Blemish is a masterpiece IMO.
Back to top Go down
Icen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

David Sylvian Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Sylvian   David Sylvian Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 16:12

I like Brilliant Trees as well, and Blemish, have you heard the Blemish remix album, that's good. If you like Blemish there's another after that called Manafon which is in a similar vein. Quite bleak, almost hopeless at times but kind of reassuring in a weird way.
For me Elbow are nearer to this left field, Eno, Fripp, Sylvian etc than U2, Genisis, and the rest. Elbow just happen to be mainstream but are actually quite weird. Thankfully.
Back to top Go down
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
The DaddyO 44

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

David Sylvian Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Sylvian   David Sylvian Icon_minitimeFri 06 May 2011, 12:11

I used to be a David Sylvian obsessive. I loved Japan as a teenager, saw them live at Hammersmith and saw him play a solo show in the mid-nineties. His music was everything to me. Brilliant Trees '84, Gone To Earth '86, and Secrets of the Beehive '87 were deeply wonderful, other-worldly albums that I played to death.
Then (barring collaborations and ambient excursions) there was a gap. A very long gap due, and I quote, to the fact that he felt he 'couldn't write anything of any real worth'. Unfortunately when Dead Bees On A Cake finally turned up in 1999 I couldn't help but feel that statement still held.
After much effort to the contrary, I eventually had to admit that DBOAC was a crushing disappointment. It seemed to vear from weary, dated mysteriousness to just downright pretentious attempted artiness. Don't feel too much better about Blemish of Manafon I'm afraid.
Something he used to have just isn't there anymore Sad
Back to top Go down
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
JessieAddick

Female Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-08-28

David Sylvian Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Sylvian   David Sylvian Icon_minitimeFri 09 Sep 2011, 14:53

I must say I absolutely loved Dead Bees On A Cake.......But of course Secrets of the Beehive is my all-time favourite album of his.I like some of the Japan stuff as well.And the Rain Tree Cow album also sounds great.But his last two albums Blemish and Manofon are simply way too avant-garde/experimental for me.I don't think I'll ever get into them.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
Sponsored content

David Sylvian Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Sylvian   David Sylvian Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Sylvian
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: