elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover

Go down 
+38
victoryrose
MantraLuna
elbowismymuse
Cozzer
The Final Track
NeonChoir
HattyMarris
fadeupyoursmile
My Bury Vest
Mr Woman
ChrissyBoy
TamedLamia
sparky
leespoons
Weepsie
ElbowFreak
Lynne
Mollyb
LongLegs
redliz2
oneofthethree
mrswoman
yesman
Tailfly
al
Leo
Glendarian
schteiny
Dr Evil
ChrissieInFL
Lesley Gilks
ticky
Jones
Misspelt Yoof
lucky with disease
Stockhaus
bluefield
bluejayway
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 08:44

LongLegs wrote:
Garvey plays Zebra all the time on The Finest Hour, it's such a great track.

A not so new band for me, but for you guys maybe? 'The Middle East' I love them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSKrrMb9bnE&feature=related

See my post in February Wink I love that song, another contender for my single of the year and great video too.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 09:46

Aye, sorry, I just put them back in my CD player, they keep breaking up and getting back together. They are from my motherland so I'm glad they're getting some love over here.
They also just got confirmed for Latitude Fest - woho!

ChrissyBoy - thank you, I watched Jools last night.
Flippen talentless lot of mish mash except for Band of Horses.
Kate Nash, PLan B, it's 20 mins of my life I'll never get back. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 11:13

Band of Horses. Excellent band, but I'd be a bit worried if I met them in the woods. They look like extras from Southern Comfort. Are they all like that in South Carolina?
Just passed 40 happy minutes at work with 'Cease To Begin' on the 'pod.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 12:06

LongLegs wrote:
Aye, sorry, I just put them back in my CD player, they keep breaking up and getting back together. They are from my motherland so I'm glad they're getting some love over here.
They also just got confirmed for Latitude Fest - woho!

They're also playing London in July - I'm definitely up for that.

Don't cuss Plan B though! Listening to his album now, really enjoyable and not what I expected at all.

Will check out Band of Horses, I've heard bits and bobs.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 12:57

uuff Plan B were horrific last night.
Going to have to leave that album in your capable hands.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 20:51

A band that I loved while they were together for a fairly short period were Hope Of The States from Chichester in Sussex.

Saw them in Manchester and they were brilliant, the violinist and piano adding a great edge to them. The lead singer Sam had a really rasping and heartfelt voice....As soon as I heard The Lost Riots I was smitten, Nehemiah, Black Dollar Bills etc on it were just stunning, maybe a comparison with Arcade Fire is fair....personally I prefer H.O.T.S.

The second album, Left was a slow burner on me, initially I was underwhelmed, I find albums that hit you like that, tend to have more longevity.....Blood Meridian and Bonfires I love, on it.

A band that are worth peering into their back catalogue, believe me.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 21:41

I think one of HOTS is in Tim and Sam's Band... I'll go look!
I saw them play an empty tent in V2004, bloody brilliant they were too, such a sad story behind The Lost Riots.
(There is some link between the two bands, but i can't find the link!)
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 02:43

Mr Woman wrote:
Band of Horses. Excellent band, but I'd be a bit worried if I met them in the woods. They look like extras from Southern Comfort. Are they all like that in South Carolina?

Laughing Granted, they do look a bit like rugged rednecks, Mr W, but their singer Ben Bridwell is actually an exceedingly nice, soft-spoken guy and very cool. And, yes, pretty much everyone in South Carolina does look like that. Which is why I try very hard not to go there if I can avoid it.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 13:44

My Bury Vest wrote:
A band that I loved while they were together for a fairly short period were Hope Of The States from Chichester in Sussex.
I saw them supporting the Polyphonic Spree (sorry!) about 6 months before they released The Lost Riots. They were absoloutely sensational. If pushed, I'd probably put that performance as the best I've ever seen. By anyone. Ever.

The Lost Riots is one of my favourite albums ever.

Good recommendation!
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 13:48

Lee Spoons wrote:
Don't cuss Plan B though! Listening to his album now, really enjoyable and not what I expected at all.
I adored Plan B's debut album. It was angry. He told stories in a way that no one else was then, or has since. It's not for the feint of heart though, that's for sure.

I can't make my mind up about his new album. It totally lacks the balls of his debut, and the 'concept' of the album is weak in the extreme. It has something though, certainly.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 15:05

Sarah wrote:
I think one of HOTS is in Tim and Sam's Band... I'll go look!
I saw them play an empty tent in V2004, bloody brilliant they were too, such a sad story behind The Lost Riots.
(There is some link between the two bands, but i can't find the link!)

Sam Herlihy had a side project called Blocks and the former foursome of Hope of the States contiuned with their other side project after disbanding, I think they were called Trouble. They supported Tim and Sam's band.
He has another project called Northwestern, I think some stuff got released last year.

Gutted they broke up.

Last edited by LongLegs on Thu 22 Apr 2010, 15:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 15:14

What about Exit Calm then...? I sometimes get a Hope of the States Vibe from them, occassionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKUMTLElG_8
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 17:37

Re- Plan B

Not everyone's cup of tea i'm sure. But i really liked the soul revival sound on the last couple of sinlges (Stay too long / She Said) - not sure about the rapping though LOL. I know its a concept album, but havent heard any more of it.
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 12:40

These last two days all i've been listening to is Bowie and Nick Cave.
They are two of my favourite men. ever.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010, 15:37

Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010, 18:25

LongLegs wrote:
Boy and Bear anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9ifwkPZO4&NR=1

We saw Boy and Bear supporting Laura Marling last month....Very good....Australian Mumfords
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Apr 2010, 09:28

yeah their cover of Flume was lovely last week, saw them with Laura at the Palladium!
They remind me of Fleeties sometimes.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 13:01

I just got played my song for guy.
The Middle East!
Ahh lovely stuff.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 14:57

That's brilliant! I'll listen to it on iplayer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 15:31

Thanks Ticky, I get mentioned about 48mins in!
Made my day cheers
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 18:19

Just listened to it!!!!! sunny

What a great track! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 21:04

Really loving the Darwin Deez album. Especially the single, Radar Detector.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010, 08:34

I've just got back from the Trowbridge Pump Festival (didn't got to Truck in the end, Longlegs, as the weather took a turn for the better here and the majority of our party preferred our usual annual visit to TPF). The music was absolutely superb this year and I've seen some great bands. The one that really stands out for me though was the Handsome Family - gloriously dark and gothic country with oodles of humour. Also - Emily Breeze - again gothic countryfied PJ Harvey/Nick Cave. Also - John E Vistic - very Nick Cave (is there a theme here!) - this bloke is the true epitome of a front man - absolutely mesmeric/mad,bad and dangerous to know. Also - Mama Rosin - a 3 piece from Switzerland playing punk cajun - (very pretty boys too!) I was very disappointed with Trembling Bells - a lot of respected people seem to rate this bunch, but.... meh... Norma Waterson, Eliza and Martin Carthy were wonderful as ever. Dreadzone were FAB. The highlight of the weekend however was - and don't laugh - Boney M! Lots of silliness, singing, dancing and far too much real ale. Roll on Green Man! cheers
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 23:06

Everything Everything release their first album the end of this month. Saw them support Keane last month. They're great, a bit quirky but loving their music, refreshing different. Guy played them on Finest hour a while back, said they were one to watch.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 12:22

Lynne wrote:

Everything Everything release their first album the end of this month. Saw them support Keane last month. They're great, a bit quirky but loving their music, refreshing different. Guy played them on Finest hour a while back, said they were one to watch.

I've seen everything everythinng a good 5 or 6 times now and they have been hit and miss constantly.
At latitude they were amazing at The Night and Day I left!!
I love them on record, I just hope their gigs become stronger!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next