elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover

Go down 
+38
victoryrose
MantraLuna
elbowismymuse
Cozzer
The Final Track
NeonChoir
HattyMarris
fadeupyoursmile
My Bury Vest
Mr Woman
ChrissyBoy
TamedLamia
sparky
leespoons
Weepsie
ElbowFreak
Lynne
Mollyb
LongLegs
redliz2
oneofthethree
mrswoman
yesman
Tailfly
al
Leo
Glendarian
schteiny
Dr Evil
ChrissieInFL
Lesley Gilks
ticky
Jones
Misspelt Yoof
lucky with disease
Stockhaus
bluefield
bluejayway
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mollyb
fallen angel
fallen angel
Mollyb

Female Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 10:54

Oh god yeah I think you're right. It was at her set at Electric Picnic last year that I met the Elboys (love that word! It'd gonna become a firm fixture in my vocabulary now!) and we chatted about how great she is.
I think I remember reading somewhere that she was also on stage when they were recording the 'We believe in love so fuck you' for Grace Under Pressure.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Sep 2009, 14:04

I am not a lover of the female vocal, but I really like Cathy and she is so much fun live!

Stephen Fretwell rocks, but that goes without saying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Sep 2009, 16:26

[quote="Lesley Gilks"]My suggestion for something a bit different but definitely worth a listen would be:

Retrospectacle - The Best of Thomas Dolby

Just discovered this thread. Thomas Dolby what a blast from the past remember the "Flat Earth" album one of my favourites as a teen years ago.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Nov 2009, 14:46

I've just got the latest Cave Singers album - first heard this on Finest Hour (where else? Wink) they've gradually grown on me and this second album is even better than the first on early listens.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 11 Nov 2009, 17:57

http://www.martinandjames.com/fr_index.cfm

Great duett (duo???) from Scotland.
Back to top Go down
Weepsie
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009, 15:38

You cant go far wrong with WIlco, Jeff Tweedy is a sublime songwriter and brilliant front man and now with nels kline on board they are a must see live.

Grizzly Bear - just bloody good

My computer - hard to find perhaps but well worth it

Nitin Sawhney - arguably the most gifted man in music

Shearwater, Antlers, Unle Tupelo, Telekinesis, Lisa Hannigan, the Sleeping Years, and when i think of more ill put them forward
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010, 21:40

http://www.myspace.com/tantrums

Local band from my neck of the woods. Mixture between Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys I'd say. How they are not signed I do not know!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 01:29

mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons! mumford & sons!

its lush!

oh and anyone whos not heard Sigur Ros... do it its so damn good
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 21:49

Slowly becoming obsessed with The Middle East - sort of Fleet Foxes-y but even more lovely.

Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010, 00:39

Elbow haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2010, 09:57

Tunng - Can't stop listening to them at the moment. I thought I'd try them out as they're playing a gig with the Besnard Lakes in March. I bought their album Good Arrows and liked it so much I got This is Tunng. I think the best way to describe them is folk/pop/electronica/experimental. One of their tracks - Bullets - has become a firm family favourite - It's ridiculously catchy. Anyway, see what you think-

https://www.youtube.com/tunngvideo#p/f/1/AI1NgFYJCN4
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 06 Mar 2010, 20:42

Tunng were on Radio 4 tonight with Laura Viers on Loose Ends. Yay Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2010, 11:48

ticky wrote:
Tunng - Can't stop listening to them at the moment. I thought I'd try them out as they're playing a gig with the Besnard Lakes in March.

Hi Ticky
Do you know if Tunng are supporting the Besnard Lakes for the whole UK tour or just the gig you're going to?
I'm at the Liverpool Academy the night before you see them in Wales
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2010, 13:38

Hi Sparky
I don't think they are - it seems to be the only gig they're playing together. I'll let you know what they're like. Smile
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Mar 2010, 19:49

My sister picked up the 2007 CD by Maserati "Inventions for the next season". Nice uptempo Postrock between Pink Floyd and faster Mogwai tracks. And instrumental.
I like it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Mar 2010, 08:22

Sometimes it takes me a while to decide whether I love a band or not. Mainly, you can judge it by whether I'm bored of them or not after a year or so. So, here are a couple of bands' albums still getting lots of listening from last year...

I trust you all know and love The XX already, right? Good.

Another album from last year that has been bothering my iPod alot recently is DM Stith's wonderful 'Heavy Ghost'. He's in the UK for a couple of shows in a few weeks (London's Slaughtered Lamb, March 21st; Bristol's The Cube, April 8th). It's difficult to describe his music so I'll let someone else do it...

avclub.com wrote:
Of all the happy musical accidents that have occurred over the past couple years—Bon Iver’s fantastic For Emma included—DM Stith’s arrival may turn out to be the biggest “eureka” moment of them all. Stith is a shy guy of conflicted Christian stock, a graphic designer by trade whose previous claim to music fame was owning the computer on which My Brightest Diamond recorded its debut. Yet Heavy Ghost, Stith’s debut, is nothing short of a masterpiece of mood and texture, an album that sounds as if it was devised in equal parts by a seasoned composer and an inspired amateur.

It’s easiest to think of DM Stith as Sufjan Stevens’ dark shadow—where the latter prefers bright chamber pop and content inspired by external forces (i.e. states), Stith orchestrates lush, pitch-dark soundscapes that writhe under his religion-provoked introversion. “Pity Dance” is a rolling epic composed of piano, viola, lap steel, and odd bits. “Creekmouth” is a spooky vocal-driven spiritual that teeters atop an eerie image: “A thousand people cling to Bibles / To powdered babies and leather Bibles.” “Pigs” finds Stith’s soulful crooning channeling Nina Simone, while on “Spirit Parade,” his Nina becomes Badu-like wails amid a whirlwind of percussion. Heavy Ghost’s second half is more reserved, but even in its sparest moments, the album excels—Stith’s voice alone could carry a hundred worse albums with ease, and his ear for arrangement is nothing short of divine.

Better yet, go and have a listen yourself. His MySpace is probably aa good a place as any to start.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Mar 2010, 18:25

How were the Besnard Lakes Sparky? It ended up that they were supporting Tunng in Bristol, so we only got about 8 tracks (and not Rides the Rails). I had a chat to them afterwards - what a lovely bunch of people - extremely friendly and obviously enjoying meeting us all. Jace Lasek, the singer, really seems to appreciate how much GG has helped get their music across over here.

Tunng were just wonderful - I predict great things ahead for them. Joyous stuff.
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar 2010, 08:44

ticky wrote:
How were the Besnard Lakes Sparky?

Hi Ticky
They were strange, they were beautiful, they were ethereal and they were LOUD! Not heavy, but, at times, the LOUDEST thing I have ever heard.
They did about 75 minutes playing a good selection from Dark Horse and Roaring Night. "And You Lied To Me" and "Like The Ocean, Like The Innocent" and encore "For Agent 13" stood out for me but it was a good solid gig all round considering it was the first night of the UK tour. Not much communication with the audience (about 200 people in) but as the lady said "We are very tired".

Support act were Bagheera from Liverpool. I assume the budget doesn't stretch to funding a band to tour with them so it could be a different local band on each night? Bagheera were interesting and worth a listen: http://www.myspace.com/wearebagheera

Sounds like you enjoyed Friday Ticky.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar 2010, 13:35

They WERE a lot heavier than I was expecting, but I like a bit of heavy me.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 07:49

I know I've seen a thread which includes Beach House somewhere, but I can't find it. After spending 3 hours on a very early Saturday morning queueing up with Caitilin to get the Blur single (failed), I thought I'd get this CD - Teen Dream, to suppport our local record shop and I must say I think it's wonderful. The first track on the CD, Zebra is outstanding. I think you'll all love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ipyWYO3LM
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 21:29

Yep that Beach House album is lovely, Zebra is probably my single of the year so far. And the Blur single is available as a free download on their site!
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 14:28

Garvey plays Zebra all the time on The Finest Hour, it's such a great track.

A not so new band for me, but for you guys maybe? 'The Middle East' I love them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSKrrMb9bnE&feature=related
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 15:56

Agreed w/ the good reviews for Beach House, and also The Middle East. It's all good! Thumbs Up!

I've been enjoying the newest release from psych/folk/rock gang Dr. Dog. The LP's called Shame, Shame and it has a great 60's/70's vibe with lots of harmonies and chug-a-lug rhythms, which is sounding really good now that the warm weather's back! Sounded great at the first barbeque of the season this past weekend. Here's a sample for ya:

Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 16:32

Oh I lloooveeee Dr Dog, going to see them in London town soon, so excited. Love the new album.

I also can't wait for Band Of Horses newby too, love this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzgi0uN9O08

Last edited by LongLegs on Wed 21 Apr 2010, 09:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 18:37

Longlegs, I Haven't heard Band of Horses yet - but just noticed they are on Jools Holland tonight and repeat on Friday if you didn't know !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next