elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What i love about elbow is...

Go down 
+7
ChrissieInFL
My Bury Vest
mrswoman
Leo
TamedLamia
MagicalTrevor
fadeupyoursmile
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

What i love about elbow is... Empty
PostSubject: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeSat 26 Sep 2009, 20:52

...The little talky bits that appear between, at the end and in the middle of songs!
From Beeeeer, to "If i'm listening to that, then i can't beatbox" i love that little window into that band of five!
So what weird and wonderful thing seal your love for the mighty 'bow?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 00:42

Lyrics that I could never write, and sounds I could never create.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 18:11

What I love about Elbow is their mixture between old and new. The old Genesis and Floyd on one side, the triphop influences on the other side. Mostly on their first record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeSun 27 Sep 2009, 19:42

What I love about Elbow is... ... ... ... ... Too hard to put into words.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 10:44

... sharing part of their love affair with Manchester, almost the 6th band member. Ever since growing up in a provincial backwater, it's always been the big city beacon of what's best in music, culture and people. Elbow epitomise all of that with heart.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 11:28

mrswoman wrote:
... sharing part of their love affair with Manchester, almost the 6th band member. Ever since growing up in a provincial backwater, it's always been the big city beacon of what's best in music, culture and people. Elbow epitomise all of that with heart.

wow...words that fill me with gut wrenching homesickness...
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 11:53

MagicalTrevor wrote:
wow...words that fill me with gut wrenching homesickness...
Oops - sorry MT, not the intention. Ah, but you upgraded to beautiful wide-open countryside, laid-back people, top snowboarding resorts, healthier lifestyles - and mooseburgers. Cool

*shuffles back to the on-topic corner*
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 12:13

No no no, it's OK, it's good to feel homesick I think.

And yeah, the trade off is one I am happy with.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 12:14

Very, very difficult to encapsulate into words but God loves a trier so here goes.........the fact that they are such humble, grounded lads is a massive pull. That they write about areas both emotionally and physically, close to my heart. The fact I feel like I know them so well, yet will probably never meet them, which is exactly the way I'd want it.

And no other band has ever moved me tears like them, no other band has ever made me think about subjects I'd previously shied away from and no other band has written a song as beautiful as Newborn.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 13:42

Wow, what don't I love about Elbow? Very Happy They're a wonderful unit - they all complement each other so well and they have a musical synergy that makes them greater than the sum of their parts. Guy's voice (goes without saying, though I've said it anyway). The emotional resonance of their lyrics. The commitment they have to doing quality work, and to following their own instincts rather than hopping on musical bandwagons. Their support of good social and political causes. Their support of their local scene and their continued presence within their community. Their general good nature, particularly the sense of humor they often display in interviews (Guy + Pete + a few bevvies = an awesome interview. Always.). Their painstaking approach to studio work, and their fantastic energy and enthusiasm on stage. The way they make regret and heartbreak and death and loneliness and all sorts of ungodly pain seem not only bearable but beautiful, and the way they can also reflect joy and love and romance and friendship and family ties and hometown pride so well.

And one more thing: "We still believe in love, so fuck you". Best line ever in any song ever written. Ever.
Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009, 18:02

Beautiful songs, heartfelt lyrics, emotional understanding, clever arrangements, great tunes, fantastic albums, wonderful imagery, thoroughly decent people. Cool

i could go on...
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 16:37

Hmmm I'm not good with words and that ...but all i can think is ...I was trying to describe seeing them to a friend of mine who didn't know anything of them at the time, I said seeing them/ listening to them is like someone giving your heart a cuddle ..sorry if that's a bit 'fluffy' but it's what they make me feel! I love you
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 20:42

redliz2 wrote:
Hmmm I'm not good with words and that ...but all i can think is ...I was trying to describe seeing them to a friend of mine who didn't know anything of them at the time, I said seeing them/ listening to them is like someone giving your heart a cuddle ..sorry if that's a bit 'fluffy' but it's what they make me feel! I love you

that says it all!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 20:48

Can't really add anymore to this. What wonderful heartfelt words from such dedicated fans.

I only hope that the band members venture upon this thread one day to see what amazing fans they are lucky to have.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009, 22:04

Lynne wrote:
I only hope that the band members venture upon this thread one day to see what amazing fans they are lucky to have.

It's pretty certain that they already do.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeThu 01 Oct 2009, 06:43

redliz2 wrote:

Yeah, great description redliz2, couldn't have put it much better, if fact, I didn't !!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeThu 01 Oct 2009, 17:32

I would say listening to a whole album is like putting your heart through the wringer. It feels like they encompass so much of the human experience from joy to despair, i do always feel put back together by the end though!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Oct 2009, 11:50

I thought about another reason why I love Elbow so much. I noticed that when they did the Abbey Road-Thing.
It's their coolness. This kind of sleepy but still very emotional sound and the art to be noisy without being "metal" Wink or pompous
That might be the reason too why I don't like the Abbey Road Orchestra Stuff. Strangely I got the feeling that the Elboys felt a bit too that it was a bit too huge. Their comments on that Abbey Road DVD are a bit too ironic, I wish I understood all they were joking about, esp. the things that Guy said during the bombastic ending of "One day like this"
I really laughed my ass off, when they were talking about "Elbow - The Musical" where the artists should wear fatsuits!! lol!
Another reason why I love Elbow, they make sad music but they have a lot humor and take themselfs not too dead serious... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What i love about elbow is...   What i love about elbow is... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What i love about elbow is...
Page 1 of 1