elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM

Go down 
+20
Tailfly
al
Diaan
Lynne
sundaygirl
Jones
Misspelt Yoof
Glendarian
ticky
Topaz
Dabamash
bluejayway
fadeupyoursmile
mrswoman
ElbowFreak
yesman
ChrissieInFL
nellie
Stockhaus
TamedLamia
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 07:55

I have a few things i want to say, but i don't want to offend anyone as i really like how nice this place is, but here it goes.
I think you all need to give the guys a break. I don't think Guy was a bastard not to say hello to you, he smiled and waved, more than a lot of people get, but you don't know who he was talking to or what they were talking about, it could be friends or family or record label people or as it was a recorded gig it could be about the recording.
The backlash hasn't started, they are still the same band, i can understand feeling a bit down that you didn't get the close personal conversations you may have had before, but they are a bigger band, it means larger venues, more people to please, more people to see. They can not please every person all the time. As far as i am concerned they have never released a bad track, but the next album may end up being dub two step or drum and bass, just because they release something that doesn't appeal to me, doesn't mean i'm going to start bad mouthing them!
Give them a break, they're not bastards for wanting some time away from fans. I'd be terrible if i had their kind of exposure, i'd constantly want to talk to the people i know rather than make small talk with those i don't.
I'm a bit sad that in two pages my post is the only one supporting the boys. They give us a lot. Allow them to have off days without burning their back catalog.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:12

I'm sorry

Last edited by sundaygirl on Sun 31 May 2009, 15:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:19

I'm going to miss the small intimate gigs, and feel for Ticky and TL and understand the reactions to an extent, but remember that one off-day, or smile and wave instead of a long chat, is a long long way from a bastard...

I'm glad those of you who went enjoyed the show. Smile
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:23

I'm sorry

Last edited by sundaygirl on Sun 31 May 2009, 15:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:25

I know, I understand, I really do. But did Guy know all that at the time?
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:26

No....I guess not.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:28

sundaygirl wrote:
only if they forgot where they came from and who there music is for.

I really don't think that will happen. Five good heads on five good shoulders there!

This is actually Al talking now, Sarah forgot to sign herself in! But I agree with her. Garvey didn't need to do anything - not that I know, but I imagine he meets a lot of people and is quite busy post gig, and maybe doesn't have enough time to talk to everyone individually. I don't think any less of them for it!
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:28

Poor TL and Ticky. I didn't want to drag them into this. Thye're probably thinking "shut the fuck up now..."

OK, this topic is closed.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:32

Glendarian wrote:
I know, I understand, I really do. But did Guy know all that at the time?
I was going to say the same thing, to be ignored implies he knows who they were and what they've been through, he meets so many people day to day that he can't remember them all.
Not having a go at you sundaygirl OR TL and Ticky, i just want you to see that we demand a lot from these people and they can't be the great band of the people every day, maybe we need to give everyone the opportunity to fail without shooting them down straight away.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 08:34

I actually don't want to talk about this anymore.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:23

Well - what HAVE you kids been talking about whilst I was away!!!!!!! Got back from Berlin late last night and I'm only coming round now.

Sundaygirl, you're an absolute darling for being so supportive and caring to TL and myself. It's people like you that make this forum so wonderful. I really hope to get to meet you in Elbow week! Kudos and love to you!!!!!

I really don't mind at all (well - a little bit!) that I didn't meet any of the band and not just GG. Let's face it - this is a 5-piece and not Guy Garvey with Elbow. These lads work REALLY hard and by this time they had clocked off. They had obviously been schmoozing all night with the Berlin music industry and they obviously just weren't in the mood by that time - I totally understand.

I actually feel for GG - wherever he goes there are women (and a few men) who want a cuddle and a photograph, because he's got this fabulous persona and giving personality. It's got to be hard being that person all the time.

The security was a b*stard - huge men (and one huge woman) with all the warmth of death. I went down to the venue in the afternoon to see if I could get a poster and, I have to admit, half hoping I might casually bump into an Elboy along the way. I was bundled out by security very quickly - God, those men were big!!

Jones - was that you at the gate? You handed a package to one of the blokes who obviously works for the band - he had a laptop with Elbow printed on it. When I saw you, I thought to myself, 'that looks like Jones', but as you hadn't said you were going, I presumed it wasn't you. Where were you at the front? Again - I got the best position possible (YAY!) - right at the front in the middle.

Now - the important bit - WHAT A CONCERT !!!!!!! You have to remember - I have only been to 3 of their shows in total and each one gets better and better. This one felt as if the whole gig was made up of die-hard Elbow fans - the Berliners seemed to know all the words and the atmosphere was electric. After the band played Andy Day Now - the audience kept on singing, to keep the song going on a little longer. After ODLT, when the boys had left the stage, again the audience started to sing the chorus - all of us in unison. 'Twas magical! I think the highlight for me was Newborn, and this really isn't one of my favourite Elbow songs (I know, I know - Everyone else loves it). I have never seen any musician put 110% into a piece of music like that before - especially Richard and Guy. I was starting to get a bit worried in case GG burst a blood vessel. It might sound a bit strange, but it was almost orgasmic. If any of the band read this - UN-F*CKINGBELIEVABLE! They finished, as usual, with Scattered, which actually made me cry. I think that has something to do with the fact that my grandmother died quite recently and that always reminds me of her. Guy's voice in that song was exquisite.

TL - I really hope that you're feeling better now. Just remember that he blew you a kiss - you lucky girl you! AND you've met them numerous times. I'm sure that I will never get to meet the lads - they are far too big now and, naturally, the security is going to be intense. I did feel very strange hanging around afterwards just in case we got to meet them. For God's sake - I'm a 47 year old woman - get a grip!!! I don't think I will try and do the 'meeting them afterwards' thing - they have enough on their plate. From now on I will admire them from afar. There are too many fans and no person can spread himself that thinly.

Jones - I'm with you on the travel further to see them idea - it makes perfect sense to me. I wouldn't have missed Berlin for the world. I can now say that I have seen the best concert that I have ever seen.

I've got loads of photos / Guy's set list / posters etc. and I'll upload them all later on. I've got to go and do some work this afternoon. That's what comes of being self-employed and taking time off in the week.

I wish you could all have been there.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:26

I'm so glad you had a good time! And, ahh, he blew you guys a kiss...that's all right.

I feel like a shit.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:31

What a lovely write-up Ticky, thanks. Smile (And I know what you mean about self-employed meaning moving time around rather than actually having time off Wink)

Newborn is the highlight of any gig for me - you're not alone in it not being your favourite (although it is mine in any form) but you're right, love it or not, live it's an experience. And your description isn't far wrong - I once saw a review that described it as the musical equivalent of an orgasm. Smile It's wonderful that they all still put so much passion into it after all these years/plays - long may it stay that way! And lucky you hearing that new song Andy Day Now - I wonder who Andy is? Wink Laughing

Sounds like a wonderful gig.

[And don't worry Sundaygirl, you said what you said for all the right reasons Smile]
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:40

Glendarian wrote:
lucky you hearing that new song Andy Day Now - I wonder who Andy is? Wink Laughing

LOL, You are so cheeky!!!
Razz
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:41

I think if anything, I love this forum even more...
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:48

Oops...
Thank you, Sundaygirl but like Ticky said, we don't blame Guy. Who knows why he did not talked to us. At least he waved us goodbye. And also, like Ticky and another friend reminded me: he smiled at me and blow me kisses from stage. He IS still the man that I like so much. The concert WAS great and I AM glad that I could be there. And I really hope, that filmed stuff will be online in a few weeks, like the cameraman said...
Btw. I also would have been happy if Jupp, Pete, Mark or Craig would have come by backstage. I remember from last year, that Pete is very nice and friendly too!
After all, I am really glad that they get the success now they deserve.
There was a quite friendly review in the newspaper today, though the reviewer used the dangerous word "Kuschelrock" (cuddlerock, a collection of CDs with rockballads but very bad popballads too, more meant as a collection of "lovesongs")
Maybe Berlin is too big. Last year I liked the concerts in Cologne and Hamburg a lot more than the one in Berlin.
I will stay an Elbowfan and I hope, that Guy thinks at least of me when I go to Hospital. I could imagine he knows about it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 11:50

I'm really really glad TL.
xxxx
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 12:00

I actually feel like such a jerk.... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 13:36

Glad you enjoyed it TL and hope all goes well when you go into hospital. I love you
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 13:38

How was Jesca Hoop? Did She and Guy do Murder of Birds?
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 14:30

ticky wrote:

Jones - was that you at the gate? You handed a package to one of the blokes who obviously works for the band - he had a laptop with Elbow printed on it. When I saw you, I thought to myself, 'that looks like Jones', but as you hadn't said you were going, I presumed it wasn't you. Where were you at the front?

Yeah, that was me alright but like I said before, the trip was very much a last minute decision. I loved their Amsterdam show so much that I changed all my travel plans the next day to come to Berlin!
I think I saw TL at the front but wasn't sure, was she holding a teddy of some kind? Anyway, I was at my usual spot (when I can get it) at the front-left.

Last edited by Jones on Wed 03 Jun 2009, 14:20; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 16:30

Yes - that was TL.

You're right Jones - you should feel privileged to have been there from the early years. I think that maybe we should all just back off a bit and give the guys some space.

I really enjoyed Jesca Hoop - she has a lovely voice. No - she didn't duet with Guy, but she did sing Murder of Birds.

By the way, I've downloaded the photos onto Mrs Woman's site - we've got to support our local neighbourhood ning site! I'm finding it hard to download the videos though - it seems to be taking ages. They're not great though - I'm a crap photographer and I get bored videoing - it seems to take away from listening from the song. I love it when they do Weather to Fly up by Craig's piano - Richard is always laughing at Pete's on-purpose crap time keeping.

Hey Glendarian - I can't believe you haven't heard of Andy Day - Mr and Mrs Day's son - close personal friend of the band's, by all accounts.....!
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 16:37

Your photos are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 16:38

Oh, and you got a set list. Well done!!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 30 May 2009, 16:39

Thanks SG!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM   OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OHMYGOD! ELBOW IN BERLIN AND I *edit* WON'T MISS THEM
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next