elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Warm up gig?

Go down 
+19
elbowismymuse
boy
v5
Cestriansteve
chan
lucky with disease
heshofcheese
crazyhorse69
Mr Woman
sparky
mrswoman
Lynne
My Bury Vest
mitchy
errant
Cestrian Saint
Kim
Jones
ticky
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Warm up gig? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 13:13

Something i've picked up on is the fact that guy doesnt appear to want to play the guitar live anymore? I don't believe they've written a song on the last 3 albums that features guy playing an instrument? This then disqualifies a number of great tracks - newborn being my bug bear...

The banter before they play leaders at jodrell bank pokes fun at the fact that guy is putting off picking up his axe...
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 17:47

v5 wrote:
seems i did something wrong with the upload so here is the setlist
charge
bones
open arms
fly boy blue
real life
towercrane
the night will always win
the birds (v5 some sort of radio edit)
mirrorball
sad captain
ny morning
grounds
-----------
starlings
lippy kids
one day

Found this - looks to be the set from the following day.

Warm up gig? - Page 4 Tumblr_n2qw4vgLHs1s669wro7_1280
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 17:55

a lot people are talking about 1 track from any of the first three albums, or even a b-side etc... would anyone know that last time they played Powderblue, out of interest?
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 18:50

They played it here mate...July '09 I think I witnessed all this. Reckon it's not been aired since.

Staggering setlist.

Warm up gig? - Page 4 ?ui=2&ik=49cb49f149&view=att&th=144e0d73fc200d2a&attid=0
errant wrote:
a lot people are talking about 1 track from any of the first three albums, or even a b-side etc...  would anyone know that last time they played Powderblue, out of interest?
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 23:43

Ok, I will just put in my tuppence worth:
I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. I especially enjoyed hearing the new songs and yes, I wished they had done a few more of them but as many of you will remember from previous albums/tours other songs start appearing after they've been touring for a bit (High Ideals didn't get its first outing until Joddrell Bank) so that is something to look forward to.
As for the balance of the sound etc during the night, please keep in mind that this was their first proper gig in 14 months with added new material, so I think we should cut them a bit of slack on that front. It's a bit like the first pancake of the batch; maybe not quite perfect, but delicious and a great starting point all the same. Personally I thought the sound was fine.
Arm waving and audience participation isn't really my thing, so I just didn't do it.
I can also understand that people are missing the famous and much loved Guy-banter, and I do too, but he is a singer and not a stand-up comedian. Nonetheless, there was warmth and joy in the room and nobody left disappointed.
Regarding the set list: of course I would've like to have seen some of the older material on it! Some of those tracks are absolute show stoppers: Red, Fallen Angel, Leaders - and they would bring so much energy to a gig!
But... they are the players and this set list is what they'd decided to go with on the night.  
I will say that perhaps the smaller, more intimate venues (like the Paradiso) would've been a great opportunity to air some of the old stuff and keep the more recent material for the arenas.
Still, we have to keep in mind the fact that in Holland and Belgium BARB was a huge hit on the back of Lippy Kids. It was a much bigger seller there initially than SSK, which started selling in major volumes after the success of BARB, so, as these were just the setlists for 2 gigs in those 2 particular countries, they may have been heavily leaned in that direction for that reason. I don't know, I'm just wondering.
Anyway, the set list is not written in stone! They changed the Paradiso one 20 mins before they came on, causing havoc for the crew! Rolling Eyes so anything is possible!
It will be interesting to see how it progresses over the next year or so and who will get the jackpot of a "Fugitive Motel" or "Any Day Now"  Very Happy 
Well, I had a blast on the night and was delighted to be basking in their sound again. And... I LOVED the new songs!
For me it was definitely worth the long queuing in the freezing cold and I would do it again tomorrow!
The show is to be broadcast on dutch tv on the 5th April on Nederland 3. I haven't figured out yet how or if you can watch it online (any advice would be appreciated!).  You'll be able to judge for yourself then.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2014, 08:18

The club 69 the night before/after? is already online, no need to wait till April 5th to judge for yourself.
7 songs...6 old, lippy, one day, open arms, grounds, mirror ball and bones

and just the one gorgeous new one!

elbw.ws/zh9axl
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
GraemeScott
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2014, 09:52

Agree with everyone else about hoping we might see some early stuff in the UK gigs, but the biggest surprise to me is the absence of TTOALOE - I'd have thought that was a banker for appearing?
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2014, 16:38

GraemeScott wrote:
but the biggest surprise to me is the absence of TTOALOE - I'd have thought that was a banker for appearing?

Me too!!!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2014, 20:57

Jones wrote:
Ok, I will just put in my tuppence worth:
I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. I especially enjoyed hearing the new songs and yes, I wished they had done a few more of them but as many of you will remember from previous albums/tours other songs start appearing after they've been touring for a bit (High Ideals didn't get its first outing until Joddrell Bank) so that is something to look forward to.
As for the balance of the sound etc during the night, please keep in mind that this was their first proper gig in 14 months with added new material, so I think we should cut them a bit of slack on that front. It's a bit like the first pancake of the batch; maybe not quite perfect, but delicious and a great starting point all the same. Personally I thought the sound was fine.
Arm waving and audience participation isn't really my thing, so I just didn't do it.
I can also understand that people are missing the famous and much loved Guy-banter, and I do too, but he is a singer and not a stand-up comedian. Nonetheless, there was warmth and joy in the room and nobody left disappointed.
Regarding the set list: of course I would've like to have seen some of the older material on it! Some of those tracks are absolute show stoppers: Red, Fallen Angel, Leaders - and they would bring so much energy to a gig!
But... they are the players and this set list is what they'd decided to go with on the night.  
I will say that perhaps the smaller, more intimate venues (like the Paradiso) would've been a great opportunity to air some of the old stuff and keep the more recent material for the arenas.
Still, we have to keep in mind the fact that in Holland and Belgium BARB was a huge hit on the back of Lippy Kids. It was a much bigger seller there initially than SSK, which started selling in major volumes after the success of BARB, so, as these were just the setlists for 2 gigs in those 2 particular countries, they may have been heavily leaned in that direction for that reason. I don't know, I'm just wondering.
Anyway, the set list is not written in stone! They changed the Paradiso one 20 mins before they came on, causing havoc for the crew! Rolling Eyes so anything is possible!
It will be interesting to see how it progresses over the next year or so and who will get the jackpot of a "Fugitive Motel" or "Any Day Now"  Very Happy 
Well, I had a blast on the night and was delighted to be basking in their sound again. And... I LOVED the new songs!
For me it was definitely worth the long queuing in the freezing cold and I would do it again tomorrow!
The show is to be broadcast on dutch tv on the 5th April on Nederland 3. I haven't figured out yet how or if you can watch it online (any advice would be appreciated!).  You'll be able to judge for yourself then.

Good balanced post Jones that - especially the barb! Holland and Belgium link - I GET THAT. Without wanting to be totally negative towards the forthcoming tour before it's even started, even though I'm probably coming across so, I just got pissed off by the lack of variety in the Paradiso setlist - if Guy just sings all night without any banter I aint got a problem with that at all, as you say, is voice is majestic and that's the main thing, if they come across as rusty now and again on some of the new tracks, fine.......and I also know it's a tour to show off the best of TTOALOE, which I can't stop playing but I'm making one last plea, play some old stuff and please the lads and lasses that were there before things took off........

I'll even sway my hands side to side to 'Mirrorball' in Liverpool......DEAL ?
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Mar 2014, 11:44

Wow, been away on a wee family holiday over the past week, and am just seeing these updates about the early set lists. Like most of you, I am sad to see so little in the way of earlier material. As much as I am eager to hear the new stuff live (and I genuinely am), I do hope they're planning to work in a little nugget or two from the past for those of us who miss them so much.

One thing I can say about the US shows, that distinguishes them from the UK shows...I would be willing to bet my house that 99% of the people who will be attending gigs over here are already well-confirmed fans, rather than new converts. We just didn't experience that sort of mad rush into Elbow-dom here over the last few albums, as it seems to have happened in the UK and Europe. So I would hope that there is some recognition of the fact that those of us going to the shows on the US tour are very probably familiar with/open to older material. Also, since venues here will be smaller and there is less need for arena-sized anthems, maybe the set lists will be a bit more tailored to those places. I dunno, just trying to envision a best-case scenario, so I can remain hopeful of a surprise when they arrive on our shores! Fingers crossed for some additions to the list - hoping for the same for everyone over there, too!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Mar 2014, 09:25

I am not at all bothered about the lack of older materiel - In all honesty, I would prefer it if they just played the new album. I especially would like to see TTOALOE live - that really would be a belter. Having watched the Maida Vale gig last night, I thought New York Morning sounded immense and seeing it live, I'm sure it will be even better.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Mar 2014, 09:26

I am not at all bothered about the lack of older materiel - In all honesty, I would prefer it if they just played the new album. I especially would like to see TTOALOE live - that really would be a belter. Having watched the Maida Vale gig last night, I thought New York Morning sounded immense and seeing it live, I'm sure it will be even better.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Mar 2014, 09:31

Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 31 Mar 2014, 13:57

must say - tonight has come around awfully quick! rather looking forward to feeding my elbow habit this evening. i shall make the most of seeing them in a academy venue, this won't happen often.
Back to top Go down
chan
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 31 Mar 2014, 14:05

Cant wait for tonight either. Should be good to see them in a smallish venue again. It has been a while. Might see you there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michaelchaneyuk
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 31 Mar 2014, 17:28

So excited for those of you who are going to the shows over there - can't wait to get some first-hand reports! Really looking forward to finding out how the new songs sound live. Be safe and have fun everybody!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 31 Mar 2014, 19:22

Yep, Cestrian is over in Newcastle watching it - report please mate upon your arrival home !
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 31 Mar 2014, 22:46

My Bury Vest wrote:
Yep, Cestrian is over in Newcastle watching it - report please mate upon your arrival home !

It was rather good... Was the recent setlist we've come know & debate, with blanket of the night chucked...

Everyone's in for a treat in the coming days/weeks...
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 31 Mar 2014, 23:03

errant wrote:

Everyone's in for a treat in the coming days/weeks...

Brilliant!
Delighted to hear it. Can't wait to hear a more in-depth review!
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 31 Mar 2014, 23:36

Great gig........

Intro
Charge
Bones
Open Arms
Real Life Angel
Tower Crane Driver
The Night Will Always Win
Puncture Repair
Blanket Of The Night
Birds
Grounds
FBB / Lunette
Sad Captains
Mirrorball
New York Morning
----------------
Starlings
Lippy Kids
One Day
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 08:51

spoiler alert... don't read if you don't want to know what's coming up in the next two weeks... lads did a two hour set, on stage 8.45 & were away by 10.45 (didn't feel like two hours mind!).

well that was a great gig last night, sparky is spot on with set-list above. intro was this blue world, then straight into charge which is far far better live than when i last heard it at the MEN. The addition of the new italian (!) strings and british (!) brass section really beefs up the overall sound. Bones gets the full album treatment, with the gershwin brass ending tagged on which is brilliant live.

the set list is the one we've come to know from the previous discussion, so i won't go there about old songs. the new album tracks all work really well, although pete messed up on fly boy blue (iirc) and they had to restart that. it was, after all a warm-up gig although guy did apologise for not visiting tyneside on their last tour and this was a make-up for that slight.

open arms was the full wave your hands in air the affair you've all come to know, then they slowed things down with real life angel. after that, in my personal opinion the gig got a bit stuck in the slow stuff and certain sections of the crowd's attention drifted off (i felt). real life angel, into tower crane, into the night will and then puncture repair didnt work in my humble opinion... guy then apologised for the next tune if they got it wrong, as it was only the second time they'd played it live, but blanket of the night was excellent (even if craig made a mistake on the intro) if not slightly laboured having followed the previous slow ones.

it was almost a relief after blanket to see mark pick-up the guitar, yay a loud one at last! the birds was brilliant. i really like the mini drum kit they've added for craig (on bones) and guy (on grounds), even if guy missed his cue on the second round of skin bashing (too busy conducting the crowd!).

it was crying out for take off & landing at this point, something really big & bold - but they then went into mirrorball. as mentioned on previous threads it is a mystery why this new tune has been omitted!? i can't imagine that guy would have to pickup the guitar to play it, so why skip it? having seen how little mark has to do at times during the show, its confirmed to me that the tunes i like best from elbow are where he opens up and gives it some welly...

Sad Captains, excellent live, ditto New York Morning with the brilliant brass section sounding wonderful. encore was nothing new, other than the lads no longer need to fake the brass bit of starlings, having the real thing behind them.

No indication of what the arena stage, lights, show will be like... giggled to the missus that guy looked like he missed his runway - although the drink was going down well for him... someone may be able to correct me, but did he get the lyrics on fly boy wrong (chinless prefects dancing on tv, rather than shouting on the box?). overall the gig was great, the sounds brilliant and lads on wonderful form. other than the MOR setlist i thought it fantastic, and to have seen them somewhere so small is always special these days...

as i said to the other half as we left, they've come a long since the days of the basement gigs at Newcastle uni!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 10:12

Enjoyed last night, as Errant says, all the new songs worked well. Even Pete cocking up the intro to Fly Boy didn't spoil what was the stand out tune for me. The set relies too heavily on the previous two albums IMHO, but you can see how many people are only there for the big arm waving anthems.
Anyway, forget getting a setlist at the end of a gig, I got something MUCH better

Warm up gig? - Page 4 Elbowmeallist001
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 10:15

errant wrote:

having seen how little mark has to do at times during the show, its confirmed to me that the tunes i like best from elbow are where he opens up and gives it some welly...

Well, certainly during the live performances 'a bit of welly' imho is great to keep the place "going" if you like.
I agree that it can lose some momentum when they do the slower songs in a bunch together.
It's no problem for me: I'd listen to Guy reciting a phonebook  Razz  but maybe the "less" dedicated fans' attention span may wane a little.
Still, great to hear you enjoyed the gig. I'm well jealous!!!  Mad 
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 10:17

heshofcheese wrote:

Anyway, forget getting a setlist at the end of a gig, I got something MUCH better

Now I'm even MORE jealous!!!!    Mad 
That's amazing hesh! Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
chan
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 10:31

Was a very good gig for me. Particularly enjoyed The Birds seemed to have more omph than i remember. Even the slower stuff sounded better than i remember (probably cause the crowd didnt seem as talkative as i thought they would be in those songs).

New stuff sounded good but no Take Off and Landing from new album was a little bit of a downside as it is probably my favourite off the new album.

Overall a really good gig and looking forward to seeing them in Liverpool in just over a week or so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michaelchaneyuk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warm up gig?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next