elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Warm up gig?

Go down 
+19
elbowismymuse
boy
v5
Cestriansteve
chan
lucky with disease
heshofcheese
crazyhorse69
Mr Woman
sparky
mrswoman
Lynne
My Bury Vest
mitchy
errant
Cestrian Saint
Kim
Jones
ticky
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Warm up gig? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Feb 2014, 12:52

heshofcheese wrote:
ticky wrote:
I know it's not ideal, but touted tickets on sites like stub hub etc., are about £53 per ticket.  Considering tickets for Cambridge were about £150, it's not as bad as that. Still can't afford to go though.

This is the route I've gone down, got mine for 50 quid each which is not too bad, I suppose.  Neutral 

Now I just need to get the time off work, cos I'm a late shift that day.  Thumbs Up!

where there is a will, there is a way!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 19:50

So apart from the promo live plays of new tracks for competition gigs for xfm, absolute radio etc, there is a warm up for the warm up over in Amsterdam on 18th of March.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 01 Mar 2014, 23:51

lucky with disease wrote:
So apart from the promo live plays of new tracks for competition gigs for xfm, absolute radio etc, there is a warm up for the warm up over in Amsterdam on 18th of March.

Where they playing in the dam?
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 02 Mar 2014, 08:21

Back to top Go down
chan
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Mar 2014, 11:16

errant wrote:

I suppose the band are in a new league though, this is now what their level on recognition classifies as an 'intimate gig', to be honest i didnt expect to get to see them play a academy sized venue again, let alone the Newcastle one!

Its been a long time since the basement of the Newcastle  uni!  quite a journey... Very Happy

I was there was a very good gig too. Also agree never did see them doing academy sized shows so close to home for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michaelchaneyuk
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 10 Mar 2014, 23:20

I might have a spare ticket for the Newcastle warm up gig. I'll keep you posted and if it's available then I'll put it on here for face value on a first come, first served basis.
Back to top Go down
v5
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 03:20

hi everyone,
just come back from their show in amsterdam. all in all a good show with the best songs from their latest two albums (10 songs) and a nice sample af the new (5)
overall review is: one of the worst show i've seen of them and loved it all the way!
worst because the songs of ttoaloe all needed adjustments in sound . especially the balance between guy and the potters was off. lunette disappeared somewhere between guitar and drums. To much or to less vocals. Real life (angels) didn't make it for the first part because the mucis didn't come through the second part was perfect btw.
loved it because guy and the band gave a real show. from celebrating their number 1 chart in the uk to looking really emotional on mirrorball. no asking if everybody was ok but coming forward in telling they were a bit nervous playing a crowd after their time off. he only fucked up the lyrics 3 times Smile

best songs from the new album:
sad captain (just like the doctor ordered)
ny morning (not my fav but i couldn't stop myself from singin allong)

worst of the new album
real life angel
fly boy blue (they both lacked the emotion you feel on the cd but they will have perfected these songs before the uk tour has started)

looking forward to seeing them in bham and cardiff!
i attached 2 files. one pick of the setlist and one of an albino kid that sat on the front of the stage the entire show. only 5 yo but sang along on lippy kids and one day.
Back to top Go down
v5
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 03:25

seems i did something wrong with the upload so here is the setlist
charge
bones
open arms
fly boy blue
real life
towercrane
the night will always win
the birds (v5 some sort of radio edit)
mirrorball
sad captain
ny morning
grounds
-----------
starlings
lippy kids
one day
Back to top Go down
v5
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 03:27

there was an intro called "slow moving water". you guess which song that is.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 07:26

v5 wrote:
seems i did something wrong with the upload so here is the setlist
charge
bones
open arms
fly boy blue
real life
towercrane
the night will always win
the birds (v5 some sort of radio edit)
mirrorball
sad captain
ny morning
grounds
-----------
starlings
lippy kids
one day

Can't help but be disappointed by the setlist - assume that this will be the vast bulk of the setlist for the forthcoming tour. Nothing from the first 3 albums and am surprised by the inclusion of 'Open Arms' after the recent criticism that came from the band. Naively, I thought they MAY have discarded 'ODLT' as 'My Sad Captains' or the title track from the new album would be a fitting finish to a gig.

At the moment, I'll hang fire on attending more than just the Liverpool gig............
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 10:24

http://elbow.heavenforum.org/t1740-new-tour-2014-set-list

I don't want to be negative....I love the new album and will be playing it for a long time, just like I do the first 3 albums and All the b sides still. I dont skip any tracks, with these, unlike with Barb! and Tssk.

Last edited by lucky with disease on Sat 12 Oct 2019, 21:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 11:07

My Bury Vest wrote:

Can't help but be disappointed by the setlist - assume that this will be the vast bulk of the setlist for the forthcoming tour.

that was my first thought when i saw the setlist, heart sank a little... such a shame.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 11:09

I don't want to be negative....I love the new album and will be playing it for a long time, just like I do the first 3 albums and All the b sides still. I dont skip any tracks, with these, unlike with Barb! and Tssk.
Just seems things have gone stale on the live front.

i agree 100% with everything you're saying... until i see them in newcastle i'll reserve judgement on the "have they gone stale", but at face value i don't see anything to contradict this.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 12:06

Hmm, must say I'm a bit disappointed with that setlist. Nothing from the first three albums and too much from the previous two. As far as I'm concerned, the new songs are the only thing to look forward to at the Newcastle gig.
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 12:14

errant wrote:

Just seems things have gone stale on the live front.

i agree 100% with everything you're saying...  until i see them in newcastle i'll reserve judgement on the "have they gone stale", but at face value i don't see anything to contradict this.

For me though, TSSK is STILL an incredible album but so are AITB and LOTFW especially - I'm NEARLY as gutted as when I saw the setlist for the Cambridge warm up gig pre barb!

I'm sure live they'll still be brilliant as ever and I cannot wait to hear tunes from the great new record, but I'd rather an hour of 'Brave New Shave' than having to endure being told to wave my hands from side to side during 'Mirrorball's intro..............
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 13:27

Being an eternal optimist I'm hoping that they are still "prepping" a few more of the new (and older) songs and they will be ready for a warmup at Newcastle. If not, I will be as disappointed as you guys are.

We've just had an "elbow week" in our house and I've played everything from start to finish in chronological order. What a magnificent experience, marred only slightly by mrs sparky's occasional complaint and request for something else.

I have to say that the first three "forgotten" albums are collectively my favourite body of work in over 40 years of listening to music and going to gigs. I would love to hear Newborn, Red, SBAW, Forget Myself, Great Expectations etc live again.

It's the age old argument and I can see both sides of it.

By the way, their friends Kloot manage to get the balance right better than most, performing old favourites from their early albums, the occasional hardly ever played classic and their new songs too, they just play longer gigs. (Or as John put it last year "this is the longest ****ing setlist we've ever done")
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 13:45

So disappointed with this set list. I was hoping we'd get at least one track from each of the first 3 albums. Newborn, Scattered Black & Whites, Powder Blue, Red, Fugitive Motel, Forget Myself, Mexican Standoff, Grace Under Pressure. The list is endless. C'mon guys, stop playing to the masses & give some of the long term fans what they want.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 14:38

Im pleased, that the sinking feeling i had when i read that set-list this morning wasn't unique to myself...

Time will tell whether they change things around, i suspect i'm going to leave these gigs with a bittersweet feeling - i'll get to see elbow live and even if they played a load of miley cyrus covers i'd think it a brilliant gig, however i already know its not going to be the songs i want to hear them play.
Back to top Go down
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014, 19:31

Oh no...

However, from what I recall in 2012's Manchester show, Fugitive Motel and Grace didn't seem to go down very well, with very few singing along with Grace's mantra. It was a bit awkward, I think.

But still, shocking setlist :/
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 01:43

Grace was often quite awkward, even back in the day...a precurser to the arm swaying ones of now. I'm grateful that I used to be at gigs that had Can't Stop, Presuming Ed, Fallen Angel, I've got your number, Snooks, McGreggor and Picky Bugger at one time or another in the set. Though I never got to see About Time or don't mix your drinks, or Asleep in the back live from the earliest days.
Songs like The Everthere or any of the b-sides that have never been played live would be such a treat and This Blue World would be something of awe to open the set.
So much of the Paradiso set last night was exactly the same as the set for The Jodrell bank DVD and so similar to the last warm up on the previous tour.
Even one track each from the first 3 albums would mix it up a bit.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 07:18

Grace was often quite awkward, even back in the day...a precurser to the arm swaying ones of now. I'm grateful that I used to be at gigs that had Can't Stop, Presuming Ed, Fallen Angel, I've got your number, Snooks, McGreggor and Picky Bugger at one time or another in the set. Though I never got to see About Time or don't mix your drinks, or Asleep in the back live from the earliest days.
Songs like The Everthere or any of the b-sides that have never been played live would be such a treat and This Blue World would be something of awe to open the set.
So much of the Paradiso set last night was exactly the same as the set for The Jodrell bank DVD and so similar to the last warm up on the previous tour.
Even one track each from the first 3 albums would mix it up a bit.

Totally agree - one track from each of the first albums would satisfy my thirst for 'new' live material, absolutely. I'd love to be in a room with them all when discussing what to play and to see what songs 'are batted around'.

Don't they rate them anymore ?

Don't they feel they fit in with the material from the last 5 -6 years ?

Don't they play them because they can't relate to them anymore ?

Are they scared of alienating the 'main' part of the crowd by playing 'little known songs' ?

Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 09:16

The problem with playing arenas is that a lot of the more subtle and quieter songs are wasted on an audience who are only there to take selfies and film the event on their camera phones. These morons are only there to hear 'One Day Like This' and 'Open Arms'. They spend the rest of the show traipsing back and forth to the bar and talking loudly through the quieter songs.

I've mentioned this before but it's a perfect example of these idiots. Elbow played 'Fugitive Motel' on TSSK tour at Llandudno gig a few years ago. A guy next to me said to his mate, 'what's this, it doesn't sound very good'. His mate replied, 'Don't know, must be a new song'. :-/
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 10:00

This lack of audience reaction to older material is more than likely why they don't feel able to play these songs, which is a shame.

So, yes, that setlist is rather disappointing. Even if they left out AITB and COT material, surely something from Leaders could have been included? Station Approach was always popular. Great Expectations?

I think Open Arms' inclusion is very odd. The band themselves have said it was a failed attempt to recreate ODLT and it is a distinctly average song anyway by Elbow standards.

Where is Weather to Fly? This is more a signature song for them than ODLT I think. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like ODLT, and it is responsible for where they are now; I just question the need for Open Arms and TNWAW over songs like Weather to Fly and Great Expectations.

If they want to include BARB material, what about Dear Friends?

I will write out my ideal setlist later. One would hope that the more the band hear our disappointment, the more it is likely to change.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 11:13

Can't Stop, Presuming Ed, Fallen Angel, I've got your number, Snooks, McGreggor and Picky Bugger, Newborn ....none of them are quieter and subtle, yet they are not played anymore. Can't Stop has amazing quiet/loud dynamics. Presuming Ed maybe a proggie step too far for an arena.
fugitive Motel and Switching off, are slower, quieter and ponderous I agree, yet so too are Scattered black and whites and Great expectations, yet the last 2 mentioned have been spared a complete chop in the last years.

The quieter,subtler reason does not bode well for the new album tracks in an arena then.

And what does 'this lack of of audience reaction actually mean? That you have to be waving your arms and bellowing the lyrics back for a song to cut it?
If ears could talk!... O its meant to be if walls could talk,  and if people were really appreciating and listening they wouldn't be talking through a song that wasn't immediately recognisable.
One would assume that most people attending a live gig would have listened to other tracks by that artist, especially with Spotify playlists and songs on YouTube being so accessible now, there is no excuse to be so narrowminded in a set list.
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014, 11:35

Unfortunately, I do think the physical reaction of people dancing, swaying arms and singing along is contributive.

Lippy Kids was odd in that sense because it is a slow, ponderous song, but it was released to the fanbase produced on the back of TSSK.... it charted, even to the band's surprise, and was familiar.

I agree that there is plenty of earlier material they could play and I think they would get personal enjoyment out of doing so....I think they must just feel that this is what is required to fill a stadium where probably 80% plus of the audience are post TSSK fans.

I'd have it differently-it is a poor set list personally - but this is my conjecture.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warm up gig?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next