elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Warm up gig?

Go down 
+19
elbowismymuse
boy
v5
Cestriansteve
chan
lucky with disease
heshofcheese
crazyhorse69
Mr Woman
sparky
mrswoman
Lynne
My Bury Vest
mitchy
errant
Cestrian Saint
Kim
Jones
ticky
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Warm up gig? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 10:56

heshofcheese wrote:
Enjoyed last night, as Errant says, all the new songs worked well. Even Pete cocking up the intro to Fly Boy didn't spoil what was the stand out tune for me. The set relies too heavily on the previous two albums IMHO, but you can see how many people are only there for the big arm waving anthems.
Anyway, forget getting a setlist at the end of a gig, I got something MUCH better

Warm up gig? - Page 5 Elbowmeallist001

i have to ask... how on earth did you manage to get the food menu?!  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 11:07

Jones wrote:
errant wrote:

having seen how little mark has to do at times during the show, its confirmed to me that the tunes i like best from elbow are where he opens up and gives it some welly...

Well, certainly during the live performances 'a bit of welly' imho is great to keep the place "going" if you like.
I agree that it can lose some momentum when they do the slower songs in a bunch together.

i suspect the arena stage will allow them to mix that section of the gig up a bit better - expect them at the end of the runway around a piano toasting the crowd etc... should flow a bit better i suspect.

for me they should prune two of the more slower songs, or swap one for scattered b&w... i'd loose either one or two from tower crane, the night or mirrorball - but that's just me...
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 11:11

chan wrote:
Was a very good gig for me. Particularly enjoyed The Birds seemed to have more omph than i remember. Even the slower stuff sounded better than i remember (probably cause the crowd didnt seem as talkative as i thought they would be in those songs).

i can't be certain with regards the birds, but the added brass section enhanced a few of the songs in a way i didn't expect (a good way ofcourse!). its seems to give it a extra sonic dimension without taking anything away from what the others on stage are doing... to use a previous line from myself, its gives it extra welly... :-)
Back to top Go down
chan
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 14:24

errant wrote:
chan wrote:
Was a very good gig for me. Particularly enjoyed The Birds seemed to have more omph than i remember. Even the slower stuff sounded better than i remember (probably cause the crowd didnt seem as talkative as i thought they would be in those songs).  

i can't be certain with regards the birds, but the added brass section enhanced a few of the songs in a way i didn't expect (a good way ofcourse!).  its seems to give it a extra sonic dimension without taking anything away from what the others on stage are doing...  to use a previous line from myself, its gives it extra welly... :-)

I totaly agree the added brass did enhance some of there songs in way which them sound better than before. Give it some welly is a good way of describing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/michaelchaneyuk
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 16:28

Oh that's great... There are no tourdates around my place yet, but reading all that stuff makes me happy and really looking forward (besides the fact that I hate April fools which makes today a bit *aaaargh*).

Do we have "less" dedicated fans' around here? Made me laugh, but I know what you are talking about. As much as I wish stardome to our Elboys over here (starting with promo on telly *wooohoooo*) somehow for ME ;)it's better if they stay less famous and play in little venues. Smile

Thanks for all the Storys. Keep them coming the next weeks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 17:57

Last edited by Toasted Toast on Mon 19 Jul 2021, 01:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Apr 2014, 21:54

i have to ask... how on earth did you manage to get the food menu?!  Laughing

My mate's shop, Reflex sell tickets for most Academy gigs (sadly not for last nights, as I mentioned earlier in this thread).
As he has contacts there, he texted them to find out what time Elbow were going to be onstage. Just out of general interest they sent him the day's menu by fax (I think) and he brought it out to the gig, cos he knew I'd be interested  Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2014, 20:44

Last edited by Toasted Toast on Mon 19 Jul 2021, 00:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Apr 2014, 22:24

Queen Ali wrote:
Forgot to post my videos yesterday, d'oh!

fantastic videos! top effort... i was a few rows back from there!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Apr 2014, 13:42

Queen Ali, you are the bomb dot com! Thanks for posting those videos, I was so excited to see how they sound on the new stuff. Love it so far, and am really looking forward to experiencing it in person.
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Apr 2014, 18:01

Oh Boy! THANKS A LOT! Very Happy
*sittingwithahuuuugesmileonmycouch*
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Apr 2014, 23:27

a bit late with this, but this was one of the 100 photos i took on monday night...

Warm up gig? - Page 5 XYYIIoXl

enjoy tomorrow night your lucky brummies...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warm up gig?   Warm up gig? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warm up gig?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5