elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid

Go down 
+24
Tailfly
fadeupyoursmile
lucky with disease
noisebox
Misspelt Yoof
evilpixie
Leo
Bethany
ChrissyBoy
ChrissieInFL
Topaz
Ted
JulieinTX
Jones
Humurus
Hotblack
Skeletor
demonocracy
TamedLamia
leespoons
ukkonen
Dabamash
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 09 Oct 2008, 19:36

Hi Kingswinger,Smile

Trust me, Elbow are the sort of band that take 5 or 6 listens to get used to, but after that youre hooked.

The first two albums are great for emotional sorta stuff, and Leaders is a really intriguing album that will have a totally different affect on you. My advice would be go backwards: get Leaders first, then Cast of Thousands, and then Asleep in the Back.

Hope you enjoy (well, you most certainly will!! Wink)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 10 Oct 2008, 08:43

If Santa checks Play.com he/she will see that some of Elbow's albums are going for £2.99. Happy Christmas KingSwinger santa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Oct 2008, 08:06

leo wrote:
Hi Kingswinger,Smile

Trust me, Elbow are the sort of band that take 5 or 6 listens to get used to, but after that youre hooked.

The first two albums are great for emotional sorta stuff, and Leaders is a really intriguing album that will have a totally different affect on you. My advice would be go backwards: get Leaders first, then Cast of Thousands, and then Asleep in the Back.

Hope you enjoy (well, you most certainly will!! Wink)

I tend to do that when I can, work backwards from the latest one. It's what I did with Genesis, anyway.

£2.99, evilpixie? I think I'll end up getting these myself. At that price, who wants to wait for Santa?!
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Oct 2008, 21:57

I always like to listen to them in the order they came out.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Oct 2008, 22:34

yeh topaz; like the album tracklistings themselves, they are in that order for a reason i suppose - like a setlist
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2008, 21:01

jonny wrote:
I remember where I heard the 15 seconds now that I'm reminded it's noise - I heard it on my friend's digital version of the album! To be honest... it's better without it, I think.

Found it, on the version on the imeem page

http://www.imeem.com/elbow
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 13 Oct 2008, 21:38

nice!!
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2008, 10:36

Much better without.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2008, 12:02

Thanks, MagicalTrevor. Interesting to hear it at last but I think I prefer it without. Incidentally, I don't know about you, but the opening of Starlings (as it is on the CD) reminds me of The Carpet Crawlers, just the quiet marimba, a bit like Tony's piano intro.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2008, 13:04

Yes, but also reminiscent of Darkness by Peter Gabriel
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2008, 14:06

We noticed the Carpet Crawlers similarity immediately here- same chords, different key.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008, 17:18

I'm inclined to think the similarity to either song is coincidental.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2008, 23:20

im now a tower crane driver!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2008, 03:50

leo wrote:
im now a tower crane driver!!!!!!!!

An off topic one at that...thought you would have learned your lesson by now

That explains the massive number of content-free posts you have just made.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 09:16

evilpixie wrote:
Much better without.

Deffo. I'm glad they left it off in the end.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 12:03

I prefer it without, but when I hear it I'm entertained. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 12:16

It has much more impact without the first 15 seconds.... would have been stonking at the end though, big blast off into Bones Of You!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 23 Oct 2008, 17:50

We're taking this album away with us on holiday tomorrow. Be great to listen to the whole album in the car and we're going to introduce the in-laws (with whom we're sharing our sabbatical - and jeepers we need a break; over the past five months I've played so much with so many different people I feel like Phil Collins in the eighties!) to it. I'm hopeful for the brother-in-law as he's pretty open minded when it comes to tunes...not so hopeful for the sis-in-law whose only crtieria for a good song is "can you dance to it?"
Back to top Go down
Tailfly
friend of ours
friend of ours
Tailfly

Female Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 01 May 2009, 22:07

At the moment i'm in love with Weather To Fly.... but it changes everyday depending on my mood .
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 21:34

For now and ever more - it has to be MIRRORBALL
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 09 Dec 2010, 20:21

Quick question - has anyone ever heard of a chap called Joe, who apparantly arranged strings on the album? If so, what's his surname?
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 09 Dec 2010, 20:44

I can't check right now, but was it not Jote, one of the string girls?
I know she has a long association with the band and she has arranged strings for them before.
Anyway, I could be wrong, so if anyone knows the answer, let us know!
Back to top Go down
CrisalidaBoy
fallen angel
fallen angel
CrisalidaBoy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 18:27

This is the only Elbow album I have listened to - I discovered them two weeks ago.

At the beginning, it seemed quite boring although I really digged some of its songs like The Bones of You, Grounds for Divorce, Weather to Fly and, obviously, One Day Like This. I'm from Spain and my English is not really good, so all the lyric's thing I don't really get it. For me it's hard to know what is each song about if I don't listen a lot of times to them. I know Elbow's lyrics are so good, so the next thing I did when I saw that I liked some of the song was google them. And that helped me to discover songs like Starlings, The Fix, Friend of Ours (and We're Away, I really like this one!!).

So in two weeks I have become an addict to The Seldom Seen Kid. Everyday I need to listen to its songs, and I'm in love with Elbow. Their live performances are incredibly good!

And that's the story of me and this album. Now I don't know what to do, I mean... Please, could you recommend me the next album I should listen? For example, the most similar to TSSK, or the best Elbow record, etc... Just to know what album should I listen to.

I think I could like Leaders of the Free World, but I don't want to miss a better album by Elbow... Hope you understand what I'm saying xD Thank by the way!
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 19:31

Lovely to hear that the Elbowie-community is growing and it's great that you enjoy TSSK.
I can't say what you should listen next, cause I don't think that there's one "bad" album...
Just pick one and enjoy - or even better: buy all of them. Very Happy
So you're up-to-date when BARB will be released and they are touring.

Greets, Elli

Btw.: you're English is amacing... Smile
Back to top Go down
CrisalidaBoy
fallen angel
fallen angel
CrisalidaBoy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 30 Dec 2010, 20:14

Very Happy Thank you for the compliment! I'm improving my English every day but I still need time and, specially, practice.

About buying Elbow's albusm... I ordered for Christmas TSSK Smile I'm a person who loves having the albums that I listen to, study its artwork, analyse it, read the lyrics while listening to the music... So don't worry about this part, I'm probably one of the most loyal fans a band can have! haha But what I always always do is to listen to an album before buying it. I'm not wasting money if I don't like something :/ But I have the feeling this won't happen with Elbow's music.

I think I'm going to listen Leaders of the Free World. I really like its sound, and it seems "faster" than TSSK, what is perfect! Anyway thank you for your response.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid   the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the obvious thing - The Seldom Seen Kid
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3